Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2009 R1 motor problem?

25K views 158 replies 16 participants last post by  NoxImus 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I have a 2009 r1 with about 9500 miles on it. Oil was changed about 2000 miles ago and is 20-50 yamalube. No real big prior problems. I was recently riding with a friend on some back road twisties when we both heard a strange clacking noise. My engine started loosing power, and died. When I restarted the bike I heard a loud clacking noise (which sounded like it came from the the cam chain) and sounded like a piston wasn't firing. I was able to get a friend to bring it to my house and I disassembled it to check spark plugs and compression. It seems the 4th cylinder had sub par compression. I will be doing a Leak down test tomorrow. Bike had updated Yamaha CCT, and no weird noises, this just randomly happened. Any ideas of why? Any thing else I should check?

#135 ·
Its not legal in the U.S. , and must be bought from another country as far as I know.

#137 ·
Ah, so much fun. Lo, and behold there is no O-ring to be found.

(Here's where you guys get mad at me...) I took the O-ring from the broken water pump that was sitting in the trash and put it on the new one...She's my daily driver so it'll have to do. We'll see if she leaks? Time to take her for a test spin (4am)

#138 ·
Have to do what you have to, don't blame you at all. You're the one doing the work, gotta get some sleep its 4:40 am here. Hope all goes well, will check in later today.

#151 ·
I'm sure your neighbors feel the same !:hammer:

#156 ·
Shouldn't have to ever pull the pan, if you don't notice shavings in the oil as it drains. Wouldn't be a bad idea to get a magnetic plug.

-Change your oil as you should
-Don't constantly beat the piss out of your bike
-Follow the maintenance schedule.
-Manual CCT

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.