Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Power Loss....Need Help

11K views 181 replies 17 participants last post by  larryg 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok. I had my ECU flashed and the bike was running wonderfully. I recently just got my bike back after having the Graves Clutch Kit and Graves CCT installed.

The Issue: I noticed immediately that the bike wants to jerk in 1st with the clutch lever completely pulled in. The mechanic told me my clutch lever was too tight and that he had adjusted it. I new it wasn't right so readjusted it myself and it was riding fine after that.

The ride home was great. The next day (today) it was riding great also until I parked it shut it off and then started it back up again in about 5 minutes. On my way to Cycle Gear, I immediately noticed a loss of power.

The bike revs high but doesn't seem to be pulling like it was with the ECU Flash.

I've also noticed that when I launch from 1st and then click up to 2nd, it goes to neutral instead. And I NEVER miss shift.

I've also noticed that shifting down into 1st from neutral while holding the clutch is really hard.

Any ideas?

My bike was riding like a dream and then all of a sudden I have a power loss. I've check for fuel line kinks already. And just to let you all know, I never beat on it (burnouts, clutch wheelies, etc.).

:dunno

Mods that I have:

Graves 3/4 system (no 02 sensor)
Graves Clutch Kit
Graves YEC Springs
Flashed ECU
PC5 (removed after 2 short rides prior to the power loss)

See less See more
#95 ·
completey understand. thats why i just suggested a simple blow through test because it's pretty easy to spot a kinked line. or just peel back the foam. i'm just not a fan of throwing parts at anything to fix a problem but i guess since it's cheap enough you may as well just replace them, especially since it's a known problem.

hopefully this is something really stupid like a kinked fuel line and nothing else.

also it would tell you a lot if you did a fuel pressure test. a kinked line would show up pretty easy.

#102 ·
Quick question about the clutch plates. I've read that the smooth side faces the bike and the sharp edged side faces you when you place them in the basket. Is this correct?

And is there a certain orientation with the fibers?

Everything is in it's correct order when I put them in; I just have to check the orientations.

Thanks.

#103 ·
Sucks you can't get it sorted out by tomorrow. It's going to be in the 70's here in SC my SBK flashed ecu is on the fedex truck for delivery. And I also pick up a y pipe today. And will install it in my dining room cause it's raining cats and dogs.

#106 ·
The bike does not rev higher while speed does not increase. That's not the problem I'm having.

What happen is it reaches 7-8grand and struggles to rev past that. Definitely fuel/air/spark related.

Clutch is fine but I will buy that high tech digital meter to measure the stack next weekend.

#108 · (Edited)
:no....it ran fine after the flash then went into this state.

#110 ·
Ehh...It doesn't work that way. I would defiantly go after the fuel line first:fact

#112 ·
Doesn't change the fact that the ECU doesn't go "bad" like that...If the TPS and APS are reading properly in DIAG mode....Then the ECU is likely fine. If the tune had a flat spot in it, then the bike would rev past it with different throttle inputs. His issue is lack of fuel more than likely, due to a kinked fuel line...

#114 ·
Right, but the fuel line is a well known failure mode on this bike....so you had better eliminate that first. There has never been an ECU failure yet...So might as well spend time doing the common thing rather than the rare?

#117 ·
:yesnod...

#121 ·
im very worried with doing my clutch kit now..

#122 ·
Don't be. The issue I'm having isn't my clutch. It's fuel/air/spark related.

After taking my clutch apart, I realized how simple it is. I should have done it myself the only reason I didn't is because I didn't want to install the CCT myself because I was too scared. I had the clutch and CCT both in hand so I just had the mechanic install both. The only thing that can really ruin you is torquing bolts too tight.

#123 ·
Fuel line first...but if that doesn't pan out...maybe the guy put the cct in wrong and the cams skipped a tooth?...but let's not jump to zebras when hearing hoof sounds...:crash

#124 ·
Fuel line first...but if that doesn't pan out...maybe the guy put the cct in wrong and the cams skipped a tooth?...but let's not jump to zebras when hearing hoof sounds...:crash
Never heard that before. I don't get it. Lol.

Could it really be because of skipped teeth?

#126 ·
No.

#127 · (Edited)
Like I said let'seys not jump to zebras, its just something to keep in the back if the head...

#129 ·
Eh that doesn't explain the sudden switch from working to not. Fuel line first, then we go further down the diagnostic tree.

#130 ·
GUESS WHAT!...I took my tank of to do the air box mod and block of plates...put it all back together, and took it for a ride tonight...now it falls on its face the moment I give it throttle...I will be doing the fuel line replacement tomorrow night if I can get the parts...:rant:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.