Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Power Loss....Need Help

11K views 181 replies 17 participants last post by  larryg 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok. I had my ECU flashed and the bike was running wonderfully. I recently just got my bike back after having the Graves Clutch Kit and Graves CCT installed.

The Issue: I noticed immediately that the bike wants to jerk in 1st with the clutch lever completely pulled in. The mechanic told me my clutch lever was too tight and that he had adjusted it. I new it wasn't right so readjusted it myself and it was riding fine after that.

The ride home was great. The next day (today) it was riding great also until I parked it shut it off and then started it back up again in about 5 minutes. On my way to Cycle Gear, I immediately noticed a loss of power.

The bike revs high but doesn't seem to be pulling like it was with the ECU Flash.

I've also noticed that when I launch from 1st and then click up to 2nd, it goes to neutral instead. And I NEVER miss shift.

I've also noticed that shifting down into 1st from neutral while holding the clutch is really hard.

Any ideas?

My bike was riding like a dream and then all of a sudden I have a power loss. I've check for fuel line kinks already. And just to let you all know, I never beat on it (burnouts, clutch wheelies, etc.).

:dunno

Mods that I have:

Graves 3/4 system (no 02 sensor)
Graves Clutch Kit
Graves YEC Springs
Flashed ECU
PC5 (removed after 2 short rides prior to the power loss)

See less See more
#133 · (Edited)
Yes. I had to cut away the outer jacket to reveal this!

So yes, it is kinked to all get out.

What is the part number and details on the correct fuel line?

#135 ·
Sweet!

#137 · (Edited)
:fact Dah! All the AutoZones and Advances are closed or about to close in the next few minutes...:(

#140 ·
Well it seems that advance sells the house by the foot. I only have advance near me...the AutoZone is in an annoying location, and I have to fight a bunch of traffic...

#143 ·
OH ok:crash

#146 ·
i hope this works for you

#147 · (Edited)
My bike is running like a beast again. Better than it did when the PC5 was installed with the flashed ECU.

Replaced spark plugs and both fuel lines.

I have Graves Smog Block Offs (previous owner installed) and there is a plug under the TB air box but not on the center of the T-shaped air box that you cut for the "air box" mod. Do I really need to cover that hole with tape? Because I forgot to do so. The hole wasn't cover when I removed everything from previous owner.

#148 ·
I did my fuel today...FIXED!

#149 ·
congrats !! looks like something we should all do

#150 ·
Well....bike did seem to be running better but this more when I start the bike, the idle would slowly die but is did not shut off.

44° outside
Rode the bike yesterday
Bike always turn over just fine
Idle drops a little then gets better after it warms up a bit
The bike really seems to be running rich based on research

-Graves 3/4
-Smog block offs
-Air box mod
-Fuel lines replaced
-Clean BMC filter
-New spark plugs (replaced with OEM)
-93 octane always
-SBU ECU Flash
-Bike doesn't run terrible; just seems slightly off

Where do I start now???

#153 ·
I will say and idk if it's just me, but since I had my ecu flased anything under 60° outside and my bike doesn't run 100% maybe more like 70% efficient, but the warmer it gets the smoother it gets, could just be me tho, I have noticed in the first couple of gears if I get to 5000 rpm and hold the throttle when I acclerate I have some hesitation until I really give her a twist.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#151 ·
When you had them flash the ECU, what exactly were the parameters you had them set? If you had them disable the O2 sensor, then it'll always run at a certain condition as it can't tell what the Air/fuel ratio really is.

Ideally, you'd want to run a Power Commander or other fuel control in addition to the ECU reflash as you can then customize your fuel delivery based upon load conditions. With an ECU only, it's limited. Even with the O2 sensor enabled. Which, is why in older bikes, it was recommended to run a PC after certain modifications.

#164 ·
Wasup Larry.

So I was told that a cold idle hesitation, in the 40's, is normal. I keep my bike in a garage for the most part but on this morning of many mornings after having my bike locked up outside over night, I had the cold idle issue.

Also, I rode the bike for a bit today after work before storing it with ECU removed and noticed that my hesitation is when I'm rolling on the throttle slowly through the gears. When I do that, there seems to be a bit of a hesitation. RPM and speed still increase but seems to strain a bit like its wanting more air or fuel. Maybe I'm trippn.

But......

once I open the throttle, it will wake itself up a bit. I also notice the tone of my exhaust has changed. Along with what seems like a strain is a high pitch exhaust tone that was never there before. The high pitch loud exhaust tone + the hesitation is what worries me. I feel as if I'm going to blow my bike up LOL. Once again, maybe I'm trippn. :lol

I was told that the change of ignition timing will change the tone of the exhaust.

Well. Justin is giving me another map to try. Nothing but love for SBU.

#166 ·
#172 ·
So I've been riding the bike with the new flash in the ECU and the difference is night and day. The older map that I got from Justin runs so much better on my bike than the newer map.

It's how a tune was so out of sync with my bike that it through off a lot of things. My bike even shifts better now. Shifts like butter.

The tone of the exhaust is much better.

I'll continue to ride to see how much better it really is. I haven't taken all the way across the tach yet but I will let you all know after I do.

#173 ·
So I've been riding the bike with the new flash in the ECU and the difference is night and day. The older map that I got from Justin runs so much better on my bike than the newer map.

It's how a tune was so out of sync with my bike that it through off a lot of things. My bike even shifts better now. Shifts like butter.

The tone of the exhaust is much better.

I'll continue to ride to see how much better it really is. I haven't taken all the way across the tach yet but I will let you all know after I do.
Is the newer map better, or worse? :dunno

#176 ·
Interesting history on the power loss. Something I'm definitely interested in. Granted, mine is an '07, so not sure if they made similar changes to the '07 map or kept it as it was and only tweaked the '09+ maps. :dunno

I'm not able to work on my bike for another month or so until I move into my new place. Then, it's looking like June 1 at the earliest before I can run the bike. Will have to keep an eye on things...

#179 · (Edited)
Interesting history on the power loss. Something I'm definitely interested in. Granted, mine is an '07, so not sure if they made similar changes to the '07 map or kept it as it was and only tweaked the '09+ maps. :dunno

I'm not able to work on my bike for another month or so until I move into my new place. Then, it's looking like June 1 at the earliest before I can run the bike. Will have to keep an eye on things...
Tell me about it. Seems as if it was due to the map this whole time. :hammer: Even the spark plugs were fine after I pulled them but was highly needed do to 10k miles on the clock. Bike was a little snappier after changing the plugs though. So glad I changed them.

I also did the fuel line mod. I changed them both. Much needed also and everybody that own a bike with plastic lines should change them.

Found Graves smog blocks when changing the plugs. Previous owner installed them. Just good to know they are there.

So happy that is was SBU that I did business with because this process probably would not have been as smooth as it was if I had my ECU flashed by another company.

Oh, I finally heard some frustration from Justin today.......he was yelling at his dog. :hammer::hammer::hammer:

#178 ·
:thumbup

The numbers looked good on the initial dyno run, and tune in colder weather. Will see how it performs once I get out. I'm considering a PCV and Autotune instead so I can tune as I go at each trackday.

#180 ·
I plan to do the fuel line work as well, given the age of my bike and how many times the tank has been off and the engine rebuilt.

SBU has been pretty good to work with. :thumbup

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.