2009 r1 Clutch Basket Damping Springs? - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
09-14 R1 Mechanical Help Mechanical and Critical Issues for the 09-14 R1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
kickin' at the darkness

2009 r1 Clutch Basket Damping Springs?

hey y'all

so i decided to take my new Yoyodyne slipper clutch out to inspect proper operation after replacing just about every bit of oem piece back in October.

i am running a HINSON racing basket and had to remove the original n' match the new one with existing gear n' all that jazz..

well, i noticed something earlier, the springs in the back of the clutch basket, the damping springs are not all the same tension,
or at least thats what some say. Seems to me 4 of them are colored the same, one of them painted with white and one has no paint at all..

of course when i popped them out to rebuild my basket i did not see which order they were in, i'm aware they have some progressive properties...

pictures are below! does anybody know which order these springs should go in? is there a general rule of thumb? lol

any help is appreciated!! for what its worth, local mechanic who works on dirt bikes all the time says hes never heard of any basket
that uses different springs in there... maybe i'll slap 'em back on as is and call it a day
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140505_191028[1].jpg
Views:	385
Size:	316.5 KB
ID:	619946   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140505_191116[1].jpg
Views:	386
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	619954  

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, LV EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS remove, GYTR air, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc
HINSON Billet bskt, Barnett CF stack, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech adjust, ANNITORI RL, CLEVER WOLF CF tank cover, RIZOMA
grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows GYTR, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK
CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines, Accossato Radial 19x18, Motodynamic

Last edited by bacchus40; 05-05-2014 at 07:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
kickin' at the darkness

decided to wing it.. for what its worth, if you got a rattling clutch this is how you fix it!

see washer shims on top 2 and bottom 2 spring slots.... this makes 'em flush, no more rattle...

2009 R1 HINSON clutch basket FTW!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20140509_202432.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	621730   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140509_204310.jpg
Views:	1797
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	621738  

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, LV EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS remove, GYTR air, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc
HINSON Billet bskt, Barnett CF stack, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech adjust, ANNITORI RL, CLEVER WOLF CF tank cover, RIZOMA
grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows GYTR, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 09:40 PM
I eat my R1

I'm sure you have checked thoroughly but I hope there is no way known those washers can come out!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-09-2014, 09:45 PM
J58

This may help.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	621746  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
kickin' at the darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler View Post
I'm sure you have checked thoroughly but I hope there is no way known those washers can come out!
impossible.. notches keep 'em tight in there.. they're also hardened steel.. must stronger than the springs themselves...

i figured it out... its no biggie

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-12-2014, 03:46 AM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post
impossible.. notches keep 'em tight in there.. they're also hardened steel.. must stronger than the springs themselves...

i figured it out... its no biggie
Cool
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 01:25 PM
2k4 & 2k11 r1 ryder

I'm in the process of having a performance spring kit made to take care of the clutch basket rattle and spring issue ! No one not even Yamaha has the specs to have those springs made and you can't even buy them from anywhere so I invested some cash bought a brand ew basket cut it up and sent the springs out and BAM ! Having some very trick springs made that will perform better last longer and not start breaking up producing that nasty vibration and rattle sound ! I will be selling spring kits in the near future to those in need who would like there clutch to sound and perform properly !
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-05-2014, 11:30 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k4r1ryder View Post
I'm in the process of having a performance spring kit made to take care of the clutch basket rattle and spring issue ! No one not even Yamaha has the specs to have those springs made and you can't even buy them from anywhere so I invested some cash bought a brand ew basket cut it up and sent the springs out and BAM ! Having some very trick springs made that will perform better last longer and not start breaking up producing that nasty vibration and rattle sound ! I will be selling spring kits in the near future to those in need who would like there clutch to sound and perform properly !
sounds like a good idea
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 07:56 AM
I eat my R1

Hi Guys,
Im over in the UK and too am suffering with the rattly clutch basket on a 5vy.

What size washers do you guys use to shim out the exisitng springs ?

Also im concerned the washers could come loose and into the engine ? or does the cover that goes over the spring hold them in ? does that cover just prise off ?

cheers
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 06:03 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Yo ryder you guys t those clutch springs for sale yet

Sent from outer space using Tapatalk
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
kickin' at the darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rig View Post
Hi Guys,
What size washers do you guys use to shim out the exisitng springs ?

Also im concerned the washers could come loose and into the engine ? or does the cover that goes over the spring hold them in ? does that cover just prise off ?

cheers
the washers are the same outward diameter of the springs themselves.. thickness is somewhat important of course
but i just took it in to a shop, requested HARDENED STEEL specifically. I explained what they were for and he grabbed
a few off some drawer, i dont think he charged me anything

no the washers cannot come out.. the backing basket cover has metal sleeves / slots cut into it on the outside edge of springs,
see picture above in post #2. Long as the shim fits in there and is thick enough not to fit through the tiny little crack you're good to go..

in regards to request for update above, I would be interested to hear the outcome as well, The tricky part in this case though,
not all the springs are the same strength, they were painted different colors only some matching in color.
no there are no replaceable springs available for purchase.

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

Last edited by bacchus40; 01-26-2017 at 08:20 PM.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 03:53 AM
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post
decided to wing it.. for what its worth, if you got a rattling clutch this is how you fix it!

see washer shims on top 2 and bottom 2 spring slots.... this makes 'em flush, no more rattle...

2009 R1 HINSON clutch basket FTW!
Hi!

I have a 2007 R1, and have the same problem with the clutch basket dumper springs.
If I drilled that 3 rivets, and made thread in that 3 holes, could I assemble the basket with strong bolts (like 10.9/8.8 M6 or M8)? Would it be strong enough?
Because I want to keep the oem basket, however as I read above you use HINSON basket. Were there already thread in that 3 holes(where originally the rivets are placed) in the HINSON basket, or did you make the thread by yourself?
Did you use any threadlocker?

Thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20140509_204310.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	490.2 KB
ID:	914817   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140509_202432.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	389.8 KB
ID:	914825  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
kickin' at the darkness

Hinson basket comes with threaded mounts on backside, they are part of the basket itself where the oem uses spacers instead.. YES they supply bolts.

HINSON beats oem basket by a mile and a half. and you're lucky they have one for your model R1.. I would purchase one

SKU: H1016 Category: Billetproof® Clutch Baskets

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2017, 11:51 AM
My R1 eats me.

Thanks your help!

But! I would like to keep the oem bakset, and use bolts instead of spacer. Im gonna make the thread and use strong bolts as on the hinson basket. Anyway, i think the oem and the hinson basket are made from the same material, aluminium.
So im thinking about doing this way.

What is your opinion? Is it gonna work well?

Thanks!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 08:50 AM
My R1 eats me.

Background: I've been a creeper for years and had a 2000 R1since 2008. It was my first bike... firm believer in trial by fire, and i loved it.
I recently purchased a 2012 R1 50th anniversary which is clean as can be but the clutch rattles and has gotten on my last nerve. Everything seems to work well except the lurching and clutch noise so i decided to replace everything. I too have purchased a Hinson billetproof basket, new factory clutch kit and everything else behind the cover. I wanted to know if anyone has had experience with a shimming the dampening springs. More specifically, what are the effects down the road after some miles are put on. I REALLY want to shim them and quiet the rattle but i don't what to eat a transmission in the process. I am very mechanically inclined and understand the springs are there for a reason, i just want to know if anyone has seen the effects of shimming the springs.
The basket won't be in till next week so any help would be greatly appreciated before i do something i strongly regret. Thanks in advance.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:21 AM
We/R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k4r1ryder View Post
hy guys! i have the same issue with my 2012 r1. Tried to have those springs made.. but of course nobody can make them. Does any of you managed to find them? or custom make it? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode