Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2014 R1 Need help to identify this cord

7K views 119 replies 7 participants last post by  sb_r1_xxx 
#1 ·
Hey guys I'm new here I've owned a couple R6's and one 04 R1, I'm very familiar with the tear down of the Yamahas and I've done plenty of work on my cousions 09 R1. Now I just bought a 2014 R1 that has some front end damage and I'm in the process of just tearing the bike down to see what all exactly I will need, it's not much at all I just want to thoroughly inspect the bike in and out. The bike came with no headlight but there's a wire hanging down close to the horn by the right fork, it's one cord that splits like a "Y". Whatever connection that came on it is stripped now so it's just two wires there I'd like to know if anybody knows what this wire is so I can splice the proper connector in from Yamaha. Any help would be appreciated , the connection in question is circled below.

Attachments

See less See more
#33 ·
Thanks bud really appreciate it, I'm super excited now , bike starts up like it should and idles prefect, I have a couple of wiring harness connections that are scrapped up , like on the main wiring harness it's just a couple of them, I'm thinking about getting a wiring harness of eBay for 50 bucks and soldering the ones I need to my harness to make them all perfect. What you think?

#37 ·
The large black one and the gray one go to the regulator/rectifier. The other two (3 row black and transparent white) go to the dash. They sit on the right side of the bike near the fork tubes on the r/r bracket.

#39 ·
:iamwithst....all of those pins unlock and come out of the connector.

#41 ·
Haha your the man, I didn't even think of that .. So what get the new harness and instead of cutting them just swap connectors? Take all the old pins out and relocate them into the new one? I could do that it would take a while but I could definitely do it.. And thanks for telling me what those connection harnesses were for ? Where the h*ll is the rectifier located ? On my r6 it was under the seat I believe or by the rear shock, can't remember.. I have no idea where it is suppose to be on the R1

#48 ·
The red circle goes to the dash. The green circle is either, the blinker or the running light. Are there 4 wires there?

#53 · (Edited)
Wait! That picture is that harness that goes from those connectors to the dash....not the one that comes from the main harness too the r/r location.

#54 ·
Yea I know I wasn't referring to the main harness , I was trying to find out what the black harness was and found out it was the headlight harness or dash harness , apon fining that out I seen that the last wire that has the 2 mangled wires were the turn signal wire

#55 ·
Ok, good. As long as that was clear. Keep up the work to get her running....

#57 ·
Hey "Noexpert" thanks again for your pic of the bike with all the farings off that helped me a lot, so do you have a pic of the bike just like that but on the other side ? I wanna see if all your wires and harnesses are bundled up like mines or was mines black taped up like that to keep the wires from hanging. I have one loose cord hanging which I assume is the blinker wire on the left side of the bike if your sitting on it. Here's what I'm working with

Attachments

#61 ·
I'll have to check when I get home, all my wires are all bundled up so I see I'm gonna have to strip the black tape off of everything and get them back routed correct. And yes I figured the gray harness was the turn signal wire I just didn't get why it was wrapped up in tape near the ecu.

#62 ·
Because that is sorta where it comes out....I will try to shoot a pic of mine tonight....I have to fiddle anyway

#63 ·
Here are some pictures....the ECU side....
I have my HID relay sitting there....but you can see three things here....One is that there is a taped up cable that goes down to the bottom of the ECU bracket...and it goes into a relay. The next is you can see where the left blinker comes out. Finally there is two wires that go up to the headlight assembly, one is the LED marker light power the other is the ambient air temp sensor, that sits in the left ram air duct.

Here is the R/R side on the right side of the bike. The gray wire is mine, and runs to my data logger. You can see where the blinker comes out the wire hanging between the two dash connections.

Hope that helps...

#64 ·
SWEET!! Thanks tad your the man haha, it helps a lot because at least now I have some idea on what goes where and ect. Just got my farings in and I can't wait to test fit them all before I get them painted, I'm getting my R1 the same color scheme as my 650i I thinks it's gonna be pretty narly

#66 ·
:thumbup

#67 ·
Hey NoExpert I just noticed something else , you said in your previous post when you posted the pic of your bike naked that I might be missing more then that rectifier well I am , I'm missing this piece on both sides I'm sure.. What's it called ? I'll look on yamahapartswarehouse now and check to see if I can find out what it's called

Attachments

#72 ·
The part number is in this image.....use that to search on eBay

Or just buy it....it is only 8 bucks!

#70 ·
Search by the OEM part number.....if you are having trouble finding it with the part name...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.