Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2014 R1 Need help to identify this cord

7K views 119 replies 7 participants last post by  sb_r1_xxx 
#1 ·
Hey guys I'm new here I've owned a couple R6's and one 04 R1, I'm very familiar with the tear down of the Yamahas and I've done plenty of work on my cousions 09 R1. Now I just bought a 2014 R1 that has some front end damage and I'm in the process of just tearing the bike down to see what all exactly I will need, it's not much at all I just want to thoroughly inspect the bike in and out. The bike came with no headlight but there's a wire hanging down close to the horn by the right fork, it's one cord that splits like a "Y". Whatever connection that came on it is stripped now so it's just two wires there I'd like to know if anybody knows what this wire is so I can splice the proper connector in from Yamaha. Any help would be appreciated , the connection in question is circled below.

Attachments

See less See more
#74 ·
14B-2838V-00-00

Is for the left.....

#78 ·
[emoji106]

#79 ·
Back again guys lol I'm down to 2 cords that I'm a little unsure of, these cords are on the ecu side by the right fork if your in front of the bike, my headlights on the way and I stumbled apon these when I cut some some black tape off the main harness on that side. Here's some pics of them.

Sidenote: I just found out after trying to wire up my new integrated taillight that none of my signals are not working, if I hit my signal button they stay solid, well after some research apparently I'm missing something called the turn signal relay that supposedly sits at the front of the bike behind the speedometer.. If anybody could shine some light on that relay issue and those cords that would be sweet.. Help much appreciated guys

Attachments

#82 ·
The ones in your hand correct? The one with the screw and sensor in it it's the intake air temp sensor. It screws into the headlight assembly in the air duct in the left side.

The other should be the side marker led light.

The blinker relay is on the small harness that runs to the dash. The headlight relay sits right next to it....

#83 ·
Wow tad thanks for the quick reply buddy... The side marker led is there suppose to be one harness per side ? I only see one on the ride side as pictured, as as far as the relay goes I'll have to take a pic and post it tonight to make sure we're talking about the same relay, there's a small rely up front but I don't think it's what I'm referring to duh to lookin at it on the Yamaha parts diagram

#85 ·
I will take a few pics tonight when I am prepping the bike for this weekend.

#86 ·
I figured it out , so after taking my cousions windscreen off his 09 r1 and being confused for an hour lol I finally figured out that I'm missing the whole headlight/ speedometer harness, I was wondering why I couldn't find the turn signal relay harness and headlight harness, well it's because I don't even have them which makes since. So I have that on order now I just ordered one from eBay. Headlight should me on the way also from Yamaha brand new :) thanks again for the help tab I'll update when I get the headlight and harness

#87 ·
[emoji106]

#88 ·
Ok tad lol well I got the headlight harness and the new headlight in and test fitted everything tested all my connections everything's good , headlights work and LEDs work also ... There's only 1 wire that I can't figure out what it's for . This wire is on the headlight harness I just bought and sits on the right side of the bike if your sitting on it. Here's a pic it's the one circled , the headlight harness and speometer harness ( black and white harnesses are plugged in and working good) others my turn signal but that last one? Any idea ?

Attachments

#90 ·
Led marker light on the right side of the headlight assembly

#92 · (Edited)
This side marker light.....

The one on the mid fairing is the blinker....this is just a marker light....There are no maker light "under the headlights".....Wait you have a 14, but that harness looks like the one I have on my 09.....did you buy a "09-14" harness? That part may not be the same for 09-11 vs the 12-14......What do the "LED strip" plugs look like on the headlight assembly?

#93 ·
I worded that wrong I didn't mean led marker "Under" the headlight I meant the led marker by the headlight, anyways I made the mistake of buying the headlight harness for a 09-11 first and had to send it back and get the 12-14, the 09-11 has the "marker harness your bike has" the 12-14 headlight harness has a different connector on the end. I'm saying both of my markers are already hooked up and working like they should but this one harness I have no idea what it's for...

Here's a pic of what my harnesses look like on the 12-14

The harness in red is the led marker harness coming from the headlight(black and white wire) , the harness in yellow is the harness it connects to from the bike harness( blue wire with yellow dots/ black wire with yellow dots). So yea the harnesses are different on 09-11 and 12-14. Make that extra harness is for a feature or something that you don't have on yours ?

Attachments

#95 ·
Here's another pic a little close of the harness again ,

Circled In red = harness in question

Circled In green= right side mid faring turn signal harness

FYI: the headlight is not bolted in ,I'm still Wating on the bolts from Yamaha to come, the front cowl and headlight were zip tied in place to test fitment/ looks.

Attachments

#96 ·
Huh......Weird.....PS, you have the front wheel speed sensor plugged in somewhere right?

#98 ·
Someone with a 12-14 will have to chime in....:dunno

#101 ·
No not at all , the headlights alresdy plugged in ad working correct along with my marker lights/ LEDs in the front, speed sensor is connected and working, air temp is installed and working also, whatever it is it can't be to far from the rectifier because it sits like right there.

And that would be sweet if you could check noexpert, I would assume all you'd have to do is take the mid faring off and you should be able to see whatever harness is by the rectifier... Just let me know when you do cause that's literally the last thing I have to figure out before I can finish putting it together. Appreciate the help :)

#103 · (Edited)
Radiator fan on the right side. Nope, don't think so.

Something weird on your bike, I have three connectors coming out of the headlight harness; turn signals, white connector and black connector. You have a mystery fourth connector...

The only thing I see similar to that connector and wires is the position indicator. However, I have a 2014 that just missed the recalled headlight wire harness, so it could be different on mine. Mine has the position indicator connection coming off the main wire harness.

Left wire loom is the position indicator, those are the other three coming out of my headlight loom.

#104 ·
Radiator fan on the right side.

Lol wow dude your f***ing awesome , literally I just went back to your old post on page 3 where u posted a pic of your bike naked and I was gonna say I think I found the harness and what it's for.. Was I right ? Lol And thanks man you helped a lot I really appreciate the help ... Here's what I just did ..

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.