Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2014 R1 Need help to identify this cord

7K views 119 replies 7 participants last post by  sb_r1_xxx 
#1 ·
Hey guys I'm new here I've owned a couple R6's and one 04 R1, I'm very familiar with the tear down of the Yamahas and I've done plenty of work on my cousions 09 R1. Now I just bought a 2014 R1 that has some front end damage and I'm in the process of just tearing the bike down to see what all exactly I will need, it's not much at all I just want to thoroughly inspect the bike in and out. The bike came with no headlight but there's a wire hanging down close to the horn by the right fork, it's one cord that splits like a "Y". Whatever connection that came on it is stripped now so it's just two wires there I'd like to know if anybody knows what this wire is so I can splice the proper connector in from Yamaha. Any help would be appreciated , the connection in question is circled below.

Attachments

See less See more
#111 ·
That's what I thought, but it's on the main harness, not the headlight harness. That is the the right side radiator fan.

Like I said, mine has the factory fixed headlight harness and not the recalled harness. Might be part of the difference. What's you manufacture date? Mine is 01/14.

#115 · (Edited)
So, I found a pic of a harness just like that... 09-11, not 12-14, it's a different harness. To confirm I pulled up my dealer's part schematics and compared 11 to 14, 09-11 have four connectors, 12-14 have three connectors. You have an extra connector since the 12-14 position indicator connector comes off the main harness. Just ignore it. Although you may have the recalled headlight connector.

#116 ·
Humm intresting , thank buddy..here's he thing .. When I first ordered the headlight harness I ordered one from a 2009 not knowing the 12-14s had a different part number, when I realized that I canceled that order then went to the OEM schematics and looked up the part number the. Went to Ebay and found the one I have now which on the ad it said it came from a 2012 so I figured I was good since they specifically said it was from a 2012, I didn't check the part number I don't believe but soon as I'm home I'll confirm, I'm gonna go to the listing now and see

#118 ·
Ijust checked the part numbers from my harness I ordered vs the harness from a 2009 and the part numbers are the same meaning I bought the wrong harness AGAIN.. Smh so basically I can just ignore that loose connection ? I just made it home and my production date says 10-13, my right side fan is also connected so it's actually not that

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.