Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

2014 R1 Need help to identify this cord

7K views 119 replies 7 participants last post by  sb_r1_xxx 
#1 ·
Hey guys I'm new here I've owned a couple R6's and one 04 R1, I'm very familiar with the tear down of the Yamahas and I've done plenty of work on my cousions 09 R1. Now I just bought a 2014 R1 that has some front end damage and I'm in the process of just tearing the bike down to see what all exactly I will need, it's not much at all I just want to thoroughly inspect the bike in and out. The bike came with no headlight but there's a wire hanging down close to the horn by the right fork, it's one cord that splits like a "Y". Whatever connection that came on it is stripped now so it's just two wires there I'd like to know if anybody knows what this wire is so I can splice the proper connector in from Yamaha. Any help would be appreciated , the connection in question is circled below.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Do those wires come off the key block?

If so, they go next to the fork and down behind the left fairing. If that matches what you're seeing I can drop the fairing and get you a photo of where it goes and the plug/s that used to be on them.

Chances are someone here will know off hand where it goes.

#6 ·
Idk I'll have to check and see , as far as I know the wire sits where it's at in the photos , the bikes at my buddies farm until I can clean out some space at my house in my garage so I've gotta drive about 40 mins to check it out but I should have it al my house in a few weeks or less

#9 · (Edited)
No electronic steering damper in that pic, I bet that's what the wires go to.

Anything in the nose is in the wires in the lower right of the picture (headlights, sensors, turn signals, gauge cluster, etc. That's steering related since it's coming through the forks, like the switch pack cables, ignition, clutch cable, etc.

#14 ·
Yea sure I'll try to get some this week, I've been working 12 hour days 7 days a week so I'll have to wait until I'm off to drive to the farm and see but stabilizer cord sounds about right I called my buddy and he went outside and checked he said it looks like it but I'll try to go get a pic. Thanks again you guys are a lot of help really.

#16 ·
Thanks for all the help guys , you guys are seriously legit. I'll snap some more pics this week of the cord for sure , I also decided to paint the bike, it's the gunmetal color now and my buddies a really d0pe painter , he painted my BMW in August so I think I'm gonna use some left over paint from that to paint the back. It's BMW black saphari, black with a sh** ton of flake lol

#25 · (Edited)
New cord to indentify

I was installing my new radiator and noticed that there's a harness that's unplugged with nothing around it plugged in.

LOCATION: it's right behind the raditor on the top of the motor I believe next to some type of sensor, if your looking at the bike from the front it's bottom left side behind the raditor fill cap, it's a clear/ yellowish looking connection I have no idea what it is. BIKE HAS FRESH GAS AND NEW RADIATOR WITH FLUID IT IT STARTED AMD RAN THEN STOPPED?? When I gave it gas ?? Idk maybe because so much stuffs unplugged

Attachments

#31 ·
Thank man I actually was kinda tripping a little bit , I've had the bike 3 weeks sitting on the tender then before that the place had it sitting for about 2 months so the bike hasn't really ran , I couldn't leaving it running before because the rad had a hole in it, now that it had the new radiator installed that's the first time the bike has ran in awile, so this morning all I did was out fresh gas in it and let the bike run and now it's pretty good I rode it around the corner so it starts fine so that issue is taken care of the bike just need it to be running for a awhile.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.