09-14 R1 Mechanical Help Mechanical and Critical Issues for the 09-14 R1

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 03:38 PM
RSD
My R1 is my M1....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatse View Post
I think it's 'supposed' to be done the way I did the 2 piece rotors on my car.
Goatse....you would be correct. However, to pass an aircraft inspection the wire twist rate you have is technically a bit too tight. The reasoning behind this....the tighter a twist rate you produce, the more induced work-hardening is placed on the stainless wires....this in turn increases the probability of failure over time. Just remember we are talking specifically about aircraft. But, in reality it applies in any situation with vibration and or heat cycling. Just my 2 cents worth!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 03:39 PM
Astronomer not Astrologer

What is the twist rate supposed to be?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Raven R1
Mods: Custom Fender Eliminator, Custom Rear Res. Bracket, Custom Clutch Sliders, Spiegler Rennsport SS F/R Brake Lines, Driven Clip-ons, Domino MotoGP Grips, Zero Gravity Smoke DB Windscreen, M4 Y-Pipe, Vance&Hines CS One cans, Shogun Sliders, Graves Stacks, F-T custom image w/Bazzaz QS sensor, Galespeed VRC MC, CL Braking Pads, RaceDAC Data Logger, RaceTech Springs and G3S Rear Shock, F1Composites bodywork.

post #43 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 05:05 PM
I'm an Englishman in WI.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSide_'10R1 View Post
I like this system too.
Safe-T Cable®

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

That's actually pretty cool.

post #44 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-09-2016, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Tin Foil Hat

Supposed to be 12 twists per inch, I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstreak9205 View Post
It's like kankles for your head!!

Your local HPT and EFI live tuner.
post #45 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Tin Foil Hat

Update... not safety wired yet, waiting in a 43t sprocket. But looks snazzy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1457856596216.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	845970   Click image for larger version

Name:	1457856603211.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	845978   Click image for larger version

Name:	1457856610823.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	845986   Click image for larger version

Name:	1457856618476.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	845994   Click image for larger version

Name:	1457856625242.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	846002  

Quote:

post #46 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 12:43 AM
Mad Thou Rider

looks great what length bolts did you go for in the end?

Do you know if the hub assembly is the same on earlier models?

thanks petrol!!
post #47 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Tin Foil Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertim20 View Post
looks great what length bolts did you go for in the end?

Do you know if the hub assembly is the same on earlier models?
Ended up with m10x1.25x30mm Ti Race Spec. Ended up going through probolt, bolt length is perfect.

Quote:

post #48 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Tin Foil Hat

I don't believe the hub has every changed. If you've never pulled the studs before, a propane torch to heat them up will be nice to have.

Quote:

post #49 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 06:24 AM
rub the lotion on its skin.

Thanks for sharing
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestSide_'10R1 View Post
I like this system too.
Safe-T Cable®

WestSide_'10R1 likes this.
post #50 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 09:32 AM
ROWDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgecko View Post
Don't forget you are also going Ti thus adding even more strength.
The bolt is only as strong as what it screws into. In this case, Aluminum. and now that it has no locktite to bind the threads. probably not near as strong. Time will tell.

ROWDY

Last edited by Stonewall; 03-13-2016 at 09:44 AM.
post #51 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Tin Foil Hat

Front rotor bolts thread into the wheel. Some aftermarket wheels come with bolts as well. Not saying you're wrong, just giving some examples of Bolts v. Studs.

Quote:

post #52 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 12:03 PM
NeeD 4 SpeeD

i use aluminium nuts to hold the sprocket . also aluminium nut to hold the front sprocket for more then 3 years already i think .
both torqued to much less torque then oem spec .
no issues.

if your chain and sprockets are perfectly aligned there should be no axial forces on the bolts (except initial tightening).

post #53 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 12:08 PM
LIVE EVERY MOMENT!

Looks really nice bro

post #54 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 01:05 PM
I miss my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgecko View Post
Don't forget you are also going Ti thus adding even more strength.
When are you guys going to realize that high grade steel is stronger than titanium? Titanium is not some magic metal, it has benefits (lightness) at the cost of some negatives (namely, strength) when compared to high grade steel.

If you had to make a fastener that weighed 2 oz, titanium would have the advantage, as you could make it larger. But you're replacing a particular size of bolt/fastener with titanium, which makes it weaker.

I work on M777 howitzers, which use titanium extensively in the carriage and spades, to keep the weight down so that the gun can be air-lifted. There isn't a single titanium fastener on the gun. Know why? It's not as strong as high grade steel.

Seriously, it's your money so spend it how you want, but don't go fooling yourself into thinking you're smarter than the engineers who designed the bike.

post #55 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Tin Foil Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamzombie View Post
When are you guys going to realize that high grade steel is stronger than titanium? Titanium is not some magic metal, it has benefits (lightness) at the cost of some negatives (namely, strength) when compared to high grade steel.

If you had to make a fastener that weighed 2 oz, titanium would have the advantage, as you could make it larger. But you're replacing a particular size of bolt/fastener with titanium, which makes it weaker.

I work on M777 howitzers, which use titanium extensively in the carriage and spades, to keep the weight down so that the gun can be air-lifted. There isn't a single titanium fastener on the gun. Know why? It's not as strong as high grade steel.

Seriously, it's your money so spend it how you want, but don't go fooling yourself into thinking you're smarter than the engineers who designed the bike.
Okay, not to pick apart your argument, but the engineers also put 3 pot calipers on my bike. The engineers over at pvm use bolt for their wheels, so do a lot of German manufacturers. I'm not saying I'm "smarter", I'm simply modding my bike, finding ways to make it lighter that work. We all know unsprung and rotating mass is the best weight to cut. I have a ti front axle, it's not the steel that came in the bike, I'm fine. Same with caliper bolts, pinch bolts subframe bolts...ect... Who knows maybe this won't work. The only problem I can see is the lack of loctite, but safety wiring should fix that.

Also, what grade are those studs? I'm assuming grade 5 zinc plated?

Quote:

Last edited by NoxImus; 03-13-2016 at 01:46 PM.
post #56 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 02:15 PM
NeeD 4 SpeeD

Quote:

titanium is stronger then grade 5 steel , weaker then grade 8 steel .
its strong enough to replace 100% of regular fasteners on the bike .
there are no armor plates on a bike , no super strong grade steel needed.

engineers who designed the bike had cost in mind . for their race bikes they use titanium exclusively .

post #57 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 02:22 PM
I miss my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sss r1 View Post
titanium is stronger then grade 5 steel , weaker then grade 8 steel .
its strong enough to replace 100% of regular fasteners on the bike .
there are no armor plates on a bike , no super strong grade steel needed.

engineers who designed the bike had cost in mind . for their race bikes they use titanium exclusively .
Fine, titanium is some wonder metal that has absolutely no drawbacks at all.

This is the emperor's new clothes, only with metal. You guys are freaks :P

*edit* Oh, for the record, an M777 howitzer costs over 3 million dollars, I guess they used steel to keep the costs down?

Last edited by iamzombie; 03-13-2016 at 02:28 PM.
post #58 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 02:54 PM
I'm an Englishman in WI.

Garage
Quote:
Fine, titanium is some wonder metal that has absolutely no drawbacks at all.

This is the emperor's new clothes, only with metal. You guys are freaks :P

*edit* Oh, for the record, an M777 howitzer costs over 3 million dollars, I guess they used steel to keep the costs down?

He said grade 5. The new M has one use only case bolts, they could have used steel there too.
It's done for a reason and the OP stated his reasons for using TI.
No one says it's the strongest material out there but then he's not riding a Howitzer into battle either.

Last edited by Redgecko; 03-13-2016 at 05:08 PM.
post #59 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 03:10 PM
NeeD 4 SpeeD

Quote:
yes they did .
if you work on the m777 , and know it costs 3m , you should know that this is an upgrade of the m198 , same gun , just without the ti upgrades .
can you tell us how much the original cost ?
upgrading this guns fasteners to ti will have negligible effect on its weight .

the f35c costs more then 100m , and it uses ti fasteners all over

post #60 of 77 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Tin Foil Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sss r1 View Post
yes they did .
if you work on the m777 , and know it costs 3m , you should know that this is an upgrade of the m198 , same gun , just without the ti upgrades .
can you tell us how much the original cost ?
upgrading this guns fasteners to ti will have negligible effect on its weight .

the f35c costs more then 100m , and it uses ti fasteners all over

Quote:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode