Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How much sprocket wobble is too much?

37K views 205 replies 18 participants last post by  gkamp 
#1 ·
So just replaced the sprockets and chain and the rear sprocket has a wobble to it... Worried about it, I occasionally feel a a light impact sensation or something thru my foot pegs, not sure if I'm being paranoid because my old chain and sprockets where worn pretty bad and appeared to have rubbing on the inside of the plate of the chain.. see attached for video of new sprocket. Things I've checked, torque of the sprocket bolts and alignment and torque of the rear axle.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3T using Tapatalk

#129 ·
[emoji4] [emoji4] [emoji4] [emoji4] [emoji4] [emoji4] but... Those bearings were bad I think from the axle being bent.

But the big question how the hell did I bend it!?!? I see these damn guys catching air on isle of Mann, how do I bend this from commuting ? maybe this is a sign I need to lose a few pounds ????????

#132 ·
That's weird. The axle isn't that strong - the strength comes from everything being pulled together by the axle nut, which is probably why the tightening torque is so high. But it would need to be quite loose for the axle to bend.

Or maybe a moron used it as a power bar extension?

Sent from my SM-G9208 using Tapatalk

#138 ·
Wow yep I'm seeing a bend in that axle. Wow glad I didn't cause you to just spring for a wheel. But a wheel defect could have caused this as well. I just don't see how that could get bent if it was tightened to spec you should be able to jump that thing. lol I hope this is the issue but it could still very well be more damage from wheel defect. I sure hope this is it for your sake. We have seen many other marks that looked to be collateral damage from whatever is going on here.

#148 ·
I really feel for you, gkamp. First, you ran into a nearly insurmountable problem with your perplexing wheel wobble. After searching high and low and diagnosing everything (and then some), consulting with everyone, the fault was finally pinned down. Now this happens! :banghead:

Hopefully you'll stay as cool as a cucumber and power through this minor setback. The solution will come soon enough. :wink2:

#161 ·
I'm going to check the new sprocket, I have one I got with the carrier I bought... Going to install that sprocket and see, it's a 530 though and I did a 520 conversion which I'm kicking myself for right this minute

#166 ·
These imo are indicators that something is wrong, and the bearing in the carrier was awful when you spun it with tension. I understand there is flex in the cushes but don't think there should be contact between these parts and everything is only affected on half of the component.

#168 ·
I definitely don't agree with just ride it. Yes it's designed with a Cush for driveline impacts but not for and obvious issue like this that's just going to keep causing additional damage to every axle and bearing assembly he shoves into the bike. I see wheels all the time and would definitely recommend picking up one. I see sets for 350/400 buy a set and sell the front getting a good portion of your money back.

#170 ·
I would definitely get it. There is no getting around it. Really sucks I know. I have a 04 myself and just spent big money on a updated version rotor just to prevent having the stock rotor issue where the magnets come out and travel through your engine. Cheapest I found was 354 on eBay so being my bike has very very low miles I took the time to look more. Well last week or so a guy posted his 04 r1 crash and it turned out it had the updated version rotor in it. I managed to get it for 250 which is still a good chunk when nothing's wrong with mine especially. Money can just drive ya crazy sometimes.

#183 ·
Well there could be so many reasons why the wheel could be causing it but my thoughts are he has checked everything else and being you can find oem sets as cheap as 300 or less I would pick up a rear and be done with that rear. I'd be willing to bet when he gets his new wheel he can try all of these parts he has bought in it and there will be no wobble. I'm no mr no it all and have been wrong before though. Lol my money will go on some kind of wheel defect. And being he recently noticed that his rotor is also having a slight wobble even farther makes me think the wheel.

#173 ·
Tomorrow I'm going to look at the sprocket really well and put on a 530 sprocket that came with the carrier I bought and spin it off the chain and see if it wobbles... At this point I just want to ride it's been like 3 weeks now.

#177 ·
I'm going to try a couple things based on the thread Superfly pulled.... Maybe for some strange reason aligning the axle on both marks each side doesn't make it straight..... Also going to throw the different sprocket on there and recheck...

#178 ·
Did a test without the chain on and the wheel on the swingarm and the alignment screws all the way in.

(New) used carrier new sprocket - wobble.
Old carrier (new bearings) used 530 sprocket- less wobble but it's still there.

Also a recent thing I never heard before because I heard the chain going around is the rotor glancing the brake pads every rotation....

Out of ideas besides the wheel, going to put that on my CC and try this madness again... I'm so burnt out of this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.