Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

How much sprocket wobble is too much?

37K views 205 replies 18 participants last post by  gkamp 
#1 ·
So just replaced the sprockets and chain and the rear sprocket has a wobble to it... Worried about it, I occasionally feel a a light impact sensation or something thru my foot pegs, not sure if I'm being paranoid because my old chain and sprockets where worn pretty bad and appeared to have rubbing on the inside of the plate of the chain.. see attached for video of new sprocket. Things I've checked, torque of the sprocket bolts and alignment and torque of the rear axle.

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3T using Tapatalk

#30 ·
So the very inner bearings with the thin rollers were a little crunchy, there was no play in the Kush drive, very tight getting the sprocket carrier back on. Got it back together just to see and yeah still wobbles... Better video, the carrier and sprocket wobble... The tire doesn't

#24 ·
Agreed that axle alignment is irrelevant.

I second checking the sprocket, just in case. I've bent a sprocket standing on it/the carrier when putting it back onto the wheel. Lesson learned.

The carrier looks like it's wobbling right along with the sprocket, so definitely start with pulling the wheel and making sure the carrier looks good. Pull the carrier and slide it onto the axle, spin it in your hands, and see if you have the same wobble.
I'm betting on a bearing not squarely installed or bad bearing.

#28 ·
Looks to me like the inner section of the wheel is wobbling right along with the sprocket unless the Cush drive is just not seating properly due to a bearing not being seated properly. I would remount that wheel without the Cush drive in it and spin it by hand looking to see if that center section spins true. That or set it up on some blocks with the axle through it and spin it to check. If ya have a micrometer you could set it up to see if it's that inner wheel or the Cush drive itself. It's not the axle as it stays stationary and doesn't spin. I wouldn't ride it until you figure out exactly what's bent or not installed properly. I can't believe in your pics your sprocket bolt that the pic shows is totally stripped out. Don't see how you could tighten that thing whatsoever.

#43 ·
Have you tried fitting the sprocket carrier on the axle and spinning it? You might need to use a spacer to hold the inner race of the bearing against the end of the axle so that it doesn't spin.

That should show where the wobble is. My guess would be that the sprocket isn't sitting flat against the carrier, but it's hard to tell from a video.

Sent from my SM-G9208 using Tapatalk

#48 ·
For the record I don't think this amount of wobble is a problem. Funny to look at sure; not "right," sure, but nothing I'd lose sleep over.

I don't quite understand how the carrier is contacting the outer ring of the wheel there. The only way that happens is if the bearing in the carrier is crooked, the bearing bore is not centered/straight, or the bearing is considerably worn to the point of allowing the tilt.

My recommendation: change the bearing in the carrier. Make sure the new one is squarely and fully seated.
Another option, second hand carriers can probably be had on eBay for a few bucks, with a bearing.

#53 ·
When you get your new bearings in do this: install everything on the axle on the bike minus the wheel. That would be: left outer carrier spacer, carrier with big bearing, needle bearing spacer/inner race, internal wheel spacer, second big bearing, right side outer spacer. Tighten it up to normal torque spec and spin it with or without the chain. If you still have wobble in the carrier it's bearing is not square in the bore (finish pressing correctly), or the bore is improperly machined (replace carrier).

If the carrier spins true it's good and it's time to look at the wheel bearings.

#54 ·
That's a good idea... I got a full bearing kit for the rear wheel to replace it all. I was messing with it more last night. I can grab the carrier when mounted on the axle with pressure on it with my thumb and the can rock the carrier side to side so there is lateral play. Not sure what is normal but at this point I'm assuming any play is bad given the indications of wear/contact.

#55 ·
It's a ball bearing, so it will do that. What it should do is rotate smoothly, and have no axial or radial play.

Must admit I'm still trying to understand what is happening. I had something similar a few months ago - the rear brake rotor had slight runnout, although nothing like your sprocket. When I checked the bearing, it felt notchy when rotating the inner race, but had no play or noise.

I bought a replacement and fitted it, but the old bearing felt absolutely fine after removal. There were also some scuff marks on the outer race. I cleaned up the wheel and fitted the new bearing making sure that it was driven in square.

The result was a smooth running bearing and no rotor runout. My guess was that the old bearing was not quite square in the wheel.

Does the sprocket carrier bottom out evenly in the cush drive?

#58 ·
Well got my all balls... Got the old bearings out, nothing a socket, prybar and Hammer didn't solve, going to freeze the bearings overnight, I hope the <32f and the 105-110 ambient AZ heat is good enough to shrink the bearings and expand the hub enough so they go in nice and easy... Wish me luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.