2009 Cooling System: Solutions and Recommendations - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
09-14 R1 Mechanical Help Mechanical and Critical Issues for the 09-14 R1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
But why does my R1 eat me?

2009 Cooling System: Solutions and Recommendations

Hey everyone,

So after riding my new baby around for a couple weeks, and talking to some longtime R1 owners, I've discovered that these things tend to run real hot normally.
I live in SoCal where the highway has been known to get to triple digits in the summer, and I want to bring her out to the track as well.
So I want to ask, as far as keeping the bike at a good operating temperature without having to worry about overheating regardless of environment, what do y'all recommend I do/install? New fans, radiator maybe? She's bone stock, and I'm open to any suggestions.
When I had my GSXR, I was running WaterWetter and that was it, and I never had any issues with overheating. But that bike also never ran quite as hot as this one, it always took a while to heat up and was pretty good about maintaining temperature around 190F-ish depending on the outside temperature. That's what I'm gonna throw in there when I flush the collant with Eevie, but I have a feeling that's not going to be enough.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:37 PM
Just enjoy the ride.

Garage
Delete the cat and flash your ecu so the fans turn on at 205 and off at 195. Solved the heat issue for me.

1997 Yamaha YZF600R
2014 Yamaha R1
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:39 PM
THEONEGTIVR6

This was something I researched for my 04 R1 and ended up grabbing a second radiator that goes down below the main radiator. Your in luck if you want a large radiator CSF makes one for the 09/14 that’s drop in ready for the street or track. Your able to keep the fans and all the factory hookups. All of the race units available for the other year R1s require modifications made to the radiator for street use. The csf radiator for the 09/14 is drop in ready and requires little modifications. I have heard some say you need certain exhaust for clearance but csf claims it will drop in the stock configuration. If I had a 09/14 I definitely would have picked one up. It’s also much cheaper than the rest as well. Around a 1000 bucks gets you a sweet oversized radiator.
Also you definitely want to have your ecu flashed to have the fans start at 200 degrees vs 220 this helps a lot along with eliminating the converter.

04 R1 Gilles rear sets carbon fiber front fender,chain guard ,dash panels and heel guards. Pirelli supercorsa v2s my baby

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsecure805 View Post
Delete the cat and flash your ecu so the fans turn on at 205 and off at 195. Solved the heat issue for me.
Sweet. That will work perfectly because I'm looking at getting a whole new exhaust set up. So far, I'm leaning towards Yoshimura R-77 (or rather yoshimura in general), but I've also found that they only offer a 3/4 system, which I'm not exactly well educated in what that means, but from what I understand that is a cat-delete and yosh cans with the stock headers?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketheone46 View Post
This was something I researched for my 04 R1 and ended up grabbing a second radiator that goes down below the main radiator. Your in luck if you want a large radiator CSF makes one for the 09/14 thats drop in ready for the street or track. Your able to keep the fans and all the factory hookups. All of the race units available for the other year R1s require modifications made to the radiator for street use. The csf radiator for the 09/14 is drop in ready and requires little modifications. I have heard some say you need certain exhaust for clearance but csf claims it will drop in the stock configuration. If I had a 09/14 I definitely would have picked one up. Its also much cheaper than the rest as well. Around a 1000 bucks gets you a sweet oversized radiator.
Also you definitely want to have your ecu flashed to have the fans start at 200 degrees vs 220 this helps a lot along with eliminating the converter.
I will definitely remember this for later down the road. Once I get that new exhaust and flash the ecu I'll monitor the temperature and see how much of an issue it is then. I'll be doing some aggressive street and track riding, but nothing professional, just fun. Thanks!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:34 PM
Just enjoy the ride.

Garage
You are correct about the 3/4 system. It should be good enough. For the flash I recommend using the FTECU kit. Check out Tad158's maps, He put a lot of work into fine tuning the 2009-2014 R1's with 3/4 exhaust. I'm running his map and it is a whole different animal than stock.

1997 Yamaha YZF600R
2014 Yamaha R1
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 07:13 PM
Super Duper Moderator

Garage
3/4 exhaust is where you remove the stock catalytic converter and stock exhaust can and replace with the new 3/4 exhaust which is the y-pipe and can.

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
TEAM: SO SCARED NO LEAN

Greenstreak quote from Barber... "Woah... I have a log in my ass!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Godspeed to my fallen brothers - elviswarrior, Gawarrior, Vman1300
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevap View Post
3/4 exhaust is where you remove the stock catalytic converter and stock exhaust can and replace with the new 3/4 exhaust which is the y-pipe and can.
Thanks.
So I'm sure the obvious benefit to a 3/4 vs. a full system is cost. Other than that, would it be more logical to go for a full system instead? Would a full system provide the best flow and temperature control or is the difference minimal in comparison with a 3/4? And what system do you run?
I know it all depends on riding style, which I ride a aggressively and do a bit of track riding, but nothing for performance. As I understand it, unless you're riding professionally, these minimal differences are rather counterproductive, since the most significant and arguably the only attribute you'll notice is the cost difference. Though in reality it all comes down to personal preference.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsecure805 View Post
You are correct about the 3/4 system. It should be good enough. For the flash I recommend using the FTECU kit. Check out Tad158's maps, He put a lot of work into fine tuning the 2009-2014 R1's with 3/4 exhaust. I'm running his map and it is a whole different animal than stock.
I will definitely do that, thank you.
What exhaust system do you run?
So I've been reading through the forums, doing some research as well, and I'm finding mixed theories and feelings about what to do after you get an exhaust. I've read some people are fine with just an ECU flash, and the motor is just fine with that too. I've read that some people will only get a Power Commander, which I think I'm starting to understand helps, but not as well as a flash. And 've read that some people do both. From what I understand, a flash is the best way to ensure you're taking proper care of your motor with your exhaust system, that also running a power commander alone is better than nothing but not great, and that both is more or less for more professional performance. Am I correct here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode