Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Valves out of adjustment at 4.8k?

2K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  bacchus40 
#1 ·
Picked up this 2012 r1 with 2700 miles about 2 months ago. Put a little over 2k miles on it. Did the oil change when I first got it using full synthetic valvoline 10w40, and after a hard 2k miles I switched to yamalube 10w40. After that, I noticed this "ticking" like something is rattling around inside the bike. I've had a few mechanics tell me it could be valves, but how would a valve be out of spec at 5k miles? This shit is driving me crazy. I changed the CCT to a manual one yet it still makes the noise. Tightened it to the point it would do the hollow sound on start up, still would make the ticking.

#3 ·
It's an r1. There's most likely gonna be rattling somewhere, and most likely you clutch.

I sincerely doubt its your valves at 4k+ miles.

Reset your CCT to its manufacturers spec. Too tight and you'll wreck your engine.

Sent from my SM-A305F using Tapatalk

#5 ·
i would say i heard something, but cant confirm. too short, nothing but revving. :dunno

if the timing is off it could be making such a noise.

#10 · (Edited)
i was gonna post the same but couldnt bother..

OP. i dont hear no ticking clearly enough to warrant thinking you've got an issue.

video is just too damn short at idle, quit moving the camera around, it doesnt help!. you think you hear it so you hear it
right away but posted video medium doesnt always carry the same as you think. shitty mic and crappy compression
codecs dont allow sound to translate to other's speakers. hell i'm listening to laptop speakers :lol

the 'riding' video is too noisy to be useful, bike sounds like shit but i dont know if thats the bike's fault or shitty video quality.

#9 ·
Did you click on the link I gave you and read up? That's exactly the yamaha tick. Every r1 has it. I know I've had 4 of them. Stop obsessing about this and go ride.

#11 ·
https://youtu.be/IVQd7THjn14
It will inconsistently tap at idle. The entire reason I’m revving it is because that’s when you can hear it as the revs start to drop. It literally sounds like marbles in person, but not super loud to begin with.
I read about the “Yamaha Tick” way before I even owned an R1, but the videos I’ve seen on youtube about it are more of a consistent tick. Plus it just developed after my most recent oil and coolant flush, which is why it concerns me.
Also the bike sounds like shit probably because it’s a stock system? Not really sure, doesn’t sound too bad when I’m riding it but it’s quiet as ****

#18 · (Edited)
thanks for posting a much better video.. the earlier ones did not help at all.

i hear absolutely nothing out of the ordinary.. perfectly normal, thats how an 09-14 engine sounds, and yes the tick is
there along with rattling from other sources. the clutch damper springs are probably a little loose so you can hear clutch
rattle more. thats all :dunno

i figured the camera movement may have more to do with noises other than the bike.

as posted OP because you 'hear' what you think is wrong at a specific moment then you're trying to 'bring it out'
for the rest of us. Believe me, we dont need to hear the constant revving and rpm falling to hear what we are listening
for. :no

we know what these bikes sound like, just simply let it sit there for a while for others to hear it properly. :D

it really isnt that tough, i know you believe revving it makes it 'clearer'.. it does not :no :lol

Plus it just developed after my most recent oil and coolant flush, which is why it concerns me.
ohh for FVCK sakes, you should have started with that bit!

yes this is perfectly normal... old shitty oil slushing round masks a lot of these sounds and some folks
dont always put the exact same amount of oil that was in there the last time around. Specially the clutch
noises can change depending on oil type, quantity etc.

i've mentioned this in the past on here, i've noticed it myself but then i do put a shit tonne of miles
on my bikes so i do a lot of oil changes. Maybe thats the only difference. :dunno

i dont hear a thing wrong, at all.

#12 ·
I can hear it now.

It sounds normal. Mine make noises too.

Everything looked fine during the cable adjustment. However, exhaust #3 was out of spec on both sides while all others were in spec.

Another member and myself came to the conclusion that it was tight from factory so yes it’s possible to be out of spec with low mileage.

I’m sure usage and maintenance place a part in that also.

#13 ·
It sounds to me like clutch rattle (normal), timing chain (common) or your oil pump chain (common). None are indicative of a problem.

Can you pinpoint where its coming from? It sometimes is easy to tell if it's coming from the left or right side, or top or bottom.

Another thing to check is if it changes pitch when you clutch down.

#15 ·
You could get a temp gun and measure temps in each head. If the ones on the right are lower, then going by what iamLa experienced over the last month, tight valves could be causing poor combustion in the affected cylinder.

#16 ·
OP: If you want guys to give you their opinion, post a video that is longer that a few seconds. It seems like you are still riding the bike, so ride in normal and post the video...make it 1 min or more, so guys can get a feel for the noise. If you don't want to ride it, because of the wind factor, than post a vid in a stable (none wind) environment and slowly go thru the RPM range, but do it for at least 1 min. There are a bunch of guys on here that know their shit, and are more then willing to help, but u gotta give them the info so they can digest it.

On a side note, my 2016 did have out of spec valve shims (after my rebuild) and the heat gun did show that the ones that were out of spec were running hotter. There was too much gap so they were not opening long enough to let out all the hot gases, is my guess. After I re-shimmed them they all have the same relative temp now (note: the temp does bounce around with each piston combustion). I will also say that my bike did not make that noise because the valves were staying shut longer and not opening too early.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.