Ripped wires out of tail light connector - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
09-14 R1 Mechanical Help Mechanical and Critical Issues for the 09-14 R1

1Likes
  • 1 Post By DoubleDutch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Ripped wires out of tail light connector

Help! I accidentally ripped the wires out of my tail light connector.

I feel like I can't be the first one to do this, so I did a quick search and found you can pop out the pins with a terminal tool. I was thinking of getting this:
https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-56500-T.../dp/B0009OR906

Has anyone had any luck using this tool?

I'm hoping to pop out the pins and recrimp(or solder) the wires.

Should I just order a new oem connector? I can't seem to find a part number for it.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0117.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	998975  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 07:12 PM
kickin' at the darkness

never messed around with those.. but yes i've dealt with this at work. its a PITA.

and there is no real 'help' to be found really as you'll find you're one of the only one to have done this on your bike

wish i had better news, i dont think you will find ONE member who's actually used that tool.

is it possible? probably.. would i want to fvck with it? no thanks, good luck

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, LV EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS remove, GYTR air, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc
HINSON Billet bskt, Barnett CF stack, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech adjust, ANNITORI RL, CLEVER WOLF CF tank cover, RIZOMA
grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows GYTR, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK
CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines, Accossato Radial 19x18, Motodynamic

Last edited by bacchus40; 05-21-2019 at 07:14 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:37 PM
I eat my R1

You can use the Second or third smallest allen key to push them out from the other side.

Sent from my SM-A305F using Tapatalk

Last edited by Aikuken; 05-21-2019 at 10:41 PM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post
never messed around with those.. but yes i've dealt with this at work. its a PITA.

and there is no real 'help' to be found really as you'll find you're one of the only one to have done this on your bike

wish i had better news, i dont think you will find ONE member who's actually used that tool.

is it possible? probably.. would i want to fvck with it? no thanks, good luck
Yea I don't feel too smuckin fart today. I just reached out to CustomLED to see if they'd send me a new connector and luckily they're sending one free of charge. I'm just gonna splice the new plug in and chalk this up to a learning experience.
bacchus40 likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikuken View Post
You can use the Second or third smallest allen key to push them out from the other side.

Sent from my SM-A305F using Tapatalk
Thanks for the suggestion! I'm getting a new connector from CustomLED, but I'm gonna give that a try on the broken plug as practice in case I make the same mistake again.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:42 PM
kickin' at the darkness

cant hurt to learn if you can

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, LV EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS remove, GYTR air, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc
HINSON Billet bskt, Barnett CF stack, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech adjust, ANNITORI RL, CLEVER WOLF CF tank cover, RIZOMA
grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows GYTR, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK
CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines, Accossato Radial 19x18, Motodynamic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode