R1 not doing anything - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
09-14 R1 Mechanical Help Mechanical and Critical Issues for the 09-14 R1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

R1 not doing anything

Alright guys. I’m stumped. I have a 2010 R1, mint condition. Just hit 2,000 miles. Several upgrades such as PCV, Auto Tune, etc. Friday I went for spin bike got hot but no where near overheating. When I got home I killed the bike, plugged up my laptop to accept the Auto Tune trims, and went to restart it. I turned the key and absolutely nothing came on.

I checked all of the fuses and nothing was blown. By the time I was finished with that, I made another attempt and everything worked fine. Display lit up and bike started instantly. Figured it was a glitch or something.

Today I rode for about a half hour, and the bike just died. Not engine noises, no indicator lights, nothing. Display flashed and tach needle went all the way to redline and back and the bike just killed. I downshifted and popped the clutch, but it didn’t keep it going. Tach needle is now stuck at 5500 rpms.

I checked all the fuses and all again with none being blown. Could it be the ignition switch? Please help!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Nothing happens when I turn the key to “on” and the battery is definitely good and charged.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:39 PM
kickin' at the darkness

sounds like one of your connections may be loose?

you just installed a piggy-back device which 'interrupts' normal ecu fueling operations, etc.

mind you, its a 2010 with only 2k miles.

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, LV EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS remove, GYTR air, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc
HINSON Billet bskt, Barnett CF stack, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech adjust, ANNITORI RL, CLEVER WOLF CF tank cover, RIZOMA
grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows GYTR, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK
CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines, Accossato Radial 19x18, Motodynamic

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

The PCV has been installed since the 250 mile mark.any idea of a specific connection that would be loose which would cause me this issue?

I bought the bike in September of 2018 with 250 miles on it, and have thoroughly inspected and maintained it. It was always kept in a climate controlled garage, and is still currently kept that way
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

I know it HAS to be a relatively minor issue. The bike runs jaw droppingly well
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 10:12 PM
kickin' at the darkness

so it has been running fine since the install and only now the bike started coughing up?

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, LV EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS remove, GYTR air, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc
HINSON Billet bskt, Barnett CF stack, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech adjust, ANNITORI RL, CLEVER WOLF CF tank cover, RIZOMA
grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows GYTR, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK
CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines, Accossato Radial 19x18, Motodynamic
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 01:51 AM
I eat my R1

That's a bad ground / Ignition Switch / Battery Terminal Issue. The only other thing could be ECU connector or connector between ecu and the gauges. I would go after them in the order I listed.

Makin' Ponies....
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, the bike runs flawlessly. With the exception of this out of the blue electrical issue. It was running strong when it shut off lol.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m gonna try the recommended things and I’ll update it
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 05:32 AM

It does sound like a bad connection/ground somewhere. I had an intermittent similar issue on an older 05 R1 and it turned out to be corrosion on one of my pins that I couldn't see until I removed the connector. I may be mistaken but even with a faulty ECU I believe you'd get some power to your dash.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 11:37 AM
I eat my R1

Could also be a damaged battery. Try with another.

Sent from my SM-A305F using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode