R1 Died in 1st gear while hot. - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
09-14 R1 Mechanical Help Mechanical and Critical Issues for the 09-14 R1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-13-2019, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

R1 Died in 1st gear while hot.

So I recently got my 2010 R1 running again a month ago and I rode it for a solid week with no issues. It's got new plugs, im gonna change the oil soon.
I was riding today and at a complete stop, with the bike in 1st gear and the clutch pulled in, it completely died. Luckily it started right back up and I made it home.
I tried to replicate the issue in the driveway and sure enough it died in 1st gear, about 220 degrees, and then the battery was too weak to restart the bike.
So now I'm waiting on my wife to get home with the car so I can jump the bike. I thought maybe the clutch cable needed to be tightened up so I adjusted it more tight on the handle-bars but of course before I had the chance to try again the battery is deadzo
I bought a cheap battery off ebay (YTZ10S)? or something of the sort, anyway I think it's 8.6AH and 140 cold cranking amps. I saw other batteries were like 190 cold cranking amps

Do you guys think it's the cheap ebay battery? Anyone else encountered this issue? The clutch was replaced about 1-2K miles ago but I'm wondering if I should replace it again.

Thanks in advance.

REX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 11:09 AM
My R1 is the original 1998 R1.

Hello Rex,

In first gear, or neutral as well ?

Kickstand up or down ?

Fan kicking-in ok at 104-6c ?

Nick

Have fun, and ride defensively !
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

First gear also, with kickstand down. Fans seem to be oeprating properly. Even scair today while driving home it died in 6th gear at lower rpms, I had to pull over and restart the bike.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 11:50 AM

Ok, here's what I would check:

Fuel pump intermittent (on, then maybe off, then on again, etc)
Fuel filter (a big maybe - but I don't readily see it as a culprit)
Fuel tank breather blocked (to let air in to displace the volume of the fuel pumped out).
Fuel tap defective.

I cannot see an issue concerning the battery.

Nick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

I was honestly thinking the same about the fuel pump. I bought a cheap relay on ebay that does the starter and the fuel pump and I did notice the fuse doesnt fit tightly. I had an issue where it shut off. I'm going to try and replace that first. I replaced the fuel pump assy on the bike not too long ago with one I bought off ebay it came off a wrecked bike with only 12k miles.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 12:28 PM

Cool. Let us all know how you get on ?

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

I'm a little confused, the part iw as talking about was the starter solenoid, it has a fuse in it for the fuel pump also.
Where is the actual fuel pump relay located on this bike, do you know?
again its a 2010
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TReX2011 View Post
Where is the actual fuel pump relay located on this bike
I don't where it is on a 2010 but if you search for photo fuel pump relay yamaha yzf r1 2010 you should be able to locate it.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:43 PM
My R1 eats me.

electrical?

Electrical gremlin? Wouldn't wish that on anyone, but I've dealt with a similar issue. Turned out to be wiring problem. Once old wires with poor insulation got hot enough, resistance went way up, charging system stopped working, battery went dead. Doesn't sound like that's what you're dealing with, at least I'll hope it isn't. Little buggers can be difficult to track down.

Oh wait, people are already suggesting something similar.

Last edited by BusterBoo; 06-20-2019 at 01:44 PM. Reason: people already pointed to this potential issue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode