Do you guys suggest Ignition Modules? - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Do you guys suggest Ignition Modules?

What are the benefits, and what are the negatives?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 11:22 AM
My R1 eats yours!!

subscribing
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 11:36 AM
Graves makes you go Fast

Personnel I'm a big fan of the ignition mod I put one on my 05 race bike and saw power gain starting at 5k rpm and maxing out at 5hp at 10500rpm. I also noticed the bike ran cooler about 10 degrees F. If you decide to do it get it from Graves their map's really good and they don't release it so to get the map you have to get the module from them or McCoy Motorsports.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 01:26 PM
Ringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc#928 View Post
Personnel I'm a big fan of the ignition mod I put one on my 05 race bike and saw power gain starting at 5k rpm and maxing out at 5hp at 10500rpm. I also noticed the bike ran cooler about 10 degrees F. If you decide to do it get it from Graves their map's really good and they don't release it so to get the map you have to get the module from them or McCoy Motorsports.
+1 if your bike is 2007 R1. Adds torque nicely on low to mid revs.
On older models there are not so big improvement, but as you can see above, its well worth it...if you have someone who knows how to tune it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R1 07 - Graves full system - BMC Race - PC III - Dynojet ignition module - custom map - ported head - YEC head gasket - Cams degreed - Ohlins damper - Brembo MC 19x20 - Galfer superlight lines - Ferodo CP211 - Valtermoto race clip-ons - Pazzo levers - 520 D.I.D. erv3 - Driven sprockets - Acumen DG8 - F.Fabbri racing screen - Greggs flushies - Sebimoto carbon fender - Race fairings - Pro-Bolt Alloy&titanium bolts ...more to come
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by aisamasa; 06-27-2007 at 01:28 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

tune it? The graves tune it not good enough. I and installing a Graves full system, with PC and Ignition Module, with the graves maps. I hope it is al good. Have noone to tune it. they ignition module scares, I hoipe it dont mess anything up.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 02:27 PM
I eat my R1

I can't feel a power difference and frankly, I'm not sure I believe those that claim they can. However, one obvious and easily measured difference is how much cooler the engine runs. I use Ivan's map.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 02:27 PM
Graves makes you go Fast

Don't change any thing in the ignition map if it's Graves unless your running leaded fuel. If your running pump gas their map is great, the fuel map is good also but you can see some power gains from a custom fuel map.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2007, 03:35 PM
Forum Moderator

I really don't think you will gain anything from it if your just riding the street and doing an occasional track day. Now, if you plan to race Wera or CCS and your a hardcore track junkie then it might benefit you. It takes a good bit of tuning along with the PCIII {they piggyback together} to get it dialed in right. It's best to have a race shop do it. Also, another good thing is you can use a quick shifter along with the ignition module.

Rest in Peace Glenn "Elvis" Breaux - June, 17th 2007 and Chad Clifton - June, 25th 2008. You will always be with me when I ride. I will never forget you.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 04:13 PM
I eat my R1

Went through two of them on my '07 and the issues I was having with it couldn't be resolved by dynojet so I ripped it out of the bike and sent it back today.

The tech at dynojet said the ignition module won't affect the bike much unless you have internal engine work done. He also said they had a few other '07 owners report the same issues as I did and that they can't explain why it doesn't work on some of them. I honestly think it's some communication error between the pcIII and Ignition module, but I was tired of wasting money on sending the thing back and forth to be tested and gave up.

I have the graves full ti system and pcIII with the graves map. I'll be getting a custom map soon but the bike feels really strong and runs cooler now, so I'm still happy without the ignition module.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-28-2007, 07:49 PM
I eat my R1

sent you a pm Dewayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode