Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Just ordered a new off road helmet

8K views 76 replies 16 participants last post by  ussprinceton 
#1 ·
I'm kind of getting tired of my Reevu MSX-1. The rear view mirror works incredibly well, "I don't even have mirrors on my bike anymore" but it's a really ugly helmet and only has 2 vents.

I ordered the AFX FX-41DS. It has 17 vents, supposedly has amazing airflow, internal sun visor, and removable peak.
I'll probably leave the peak on for riding around town and country roads and take it off if I go to the track or plan on doing some highway miles. This helmet looks awesome imo

I ordered this exact helmet. Frost grey w/gold shield.

Here's what it looks like without the peak:

See less See more
#2 ·
If anyone's interested I can write a review of it.

Question, Does anyone know how to remove the tint from a smoked visor? I read that there's a way to do it with bleach but the writer didn't give details. I'd like to have a clear internal visor so that I can leave the gold visor on all the time and use the internal for eye protection if I get caught out at night.

#35 · (Edited)
I see a lot of super motartd and dual sport riders wear that kinda lid but have not seen any sportbike riders wearing them? Wonder if speed play a factor in it?
its the angle at which the air/wind hits your head while riding, its a completely different design required for upright riding positions, this is why you dont see them on sportbike riders, too much turbulence at highway speeds or above... aerodynamics are completely wrong, not to mention the amount of vents and location make them useless for the body position we ride in.. i've worn those helmets while riding dirt bikes back in the day, visor is for sun yes but also to help divert tree branches as you ride the trails.. i would not ride street sport-bike with though :dunno

has nothing to do with the flip down internal visor :shake

The helmet you purchased is NOT a street helmet :fact.

So signup for an NCM trackday and you can let us know how that does at 160mph.
correct, flipdown visors are also popular in those silly little beanie lids you see on hardleys, wouldnt ride a sportbike with one of those either :nono:

#13 · (Edited)
Chase on two wheels and Yummi R6 both use similar helmets to this full time, interstate or not and don't seem to have too much issue. I think they said it pulls on your head but it's bearable. Like I said, this is a second helmet. I've got a normal $400 normal helmet that works fine if I want to use it anytime.

#19 ·
Chase on two wheels and Yummi R6 both use similar helmets to this full time, interstate or not and don't seem to have too much issue. I think they said it pulls on your head but it's bearable. Like I said, this is a second helmet. I've got a normal $400 normal helmet that works fine if I want to use it anytime.

"proving" your point with a couple squids doesn't really help your case
These are famous squids :p

#28 ·
I was joking lol. However i will say Mizshift is the exception, he is an exceptional rider. Most moto vloggers are normal, but entertaining.

chase on two wheels.... is exeptionally bad at riding and owning motorcycles.

I'll admit to watching Walterrific from time to time... He's entertaining
That's about it... I'm going to check out Mizshift

My opinion on the helmets...
not like anyone gives a shit... I think they look pretty damn cool... I wouldn't ever order one unless I got my hands on a hooligan motard
Check out chase on two wheels, he crashed a strangers brand new panigale. Terrible rider, but entertaining.

Riding with tom and jake the garden snake are both really entertainng too.

#17 ·
Weird, it looks exactly like an AGV AX-8 Evo Dual, just half the price. Don't wanna say "rip-off" but it looks a little like it. Then again I am in Europe so that's why AFX means nothing to me. If you can write a review - I would appreciate it bud, especially from the POV of noise and wind resistance.

IIRC Chris Eades (aka Baron) also wears / wore the AGV AX-8 ED as the main helmet and liked it a good bit. Let us know what you think, cheers.

#42 · (Edited)
M13 had a horrible crash. The fingers were the least of his worries. Both of his legs were pretty much destroyed and he was in a foreign country with no health insurance relying on his viewers for financial support. Goes to show that no matter what you're riding, you can get hurt BAD. He was on a scooter giving a scooter tour as a guide and he looked back to see where everyone was and rode off the side of an overpass. He probably wasn't paying as much attention as he would have been if he had been on a big bike.

Shit like that really makes me reconsider my dangerous hobby sometimes. No matter how much experience we have, no matter how good our gear is things can go from good to horrible or dead instantly. M13 had been riding for what, 20 years? Without any serious injuries and then bam, in 2 seconds he was messed up forever... be careful guys.

#47 ·
turn that key off, and keep the stupid thing away from that guy :shake

#53 ·
Just added the Misano to the collection today. My PistaGP needed a little brother in the helmet cabinet.

Attachments

#60 ·
Like I mentioned, I wheel and deal. I don't mind mentioning that I was able to get the Misano brand new from a retailer brand new for $655 + Shipping.

#65 ·
I will add in saying... I DO wear my PistaGP on the street. It is too awesome of a helmet not to wear. I simply keep the vent inserts in my jacket(which I always have) so nothing lost there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.