What do u guys think of smoking weed and riding the R1? - Page 3 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

101Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 08:03 PM
Venom X/O

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExpert View Post
So glad I don't need any of these vices to relax and enjoy life. Rather waste my money on vacations, guns and bike parts.
A-FVCKING-MEN

Never smoked in my life, never will. Never even had a cup of coffee. The hardon I get riding a motorcycle, driving my car, or blowing shiz up with a firearm is way better than smoking myself stupid or drinking until I throw up.

Say no to drugs and riding, dipshitz
NoExpert likes this.

Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R1-016 Venom Squadron
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 08:29 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesoapster View Post
Great idea. I chug a few beers before I ride, too.

You have a stupid opinion.
I don't drink and ride or smoke and ride, but the term druggie doesn't even make sense when talking about a pothead. Nobody steals money from their moms wallets or sells their matress to buy weed. It's not an addiction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheaded View Post
A-FVCKING-MEN

Never smoked in my life, never will. Never even had a cup of coffee. The hardon I get riding a motorcycle, driving my car, or blowing shiz up with a firearm is way better than smoking myself stupid or drinking until I throw up.

Say no to drugs and riding, dipshitz
Try removing the dildo up your ass and live a little. Your life seems hella boring. Not everyone cares about blowing shit up or shooting a watermelon into tiny pieces. Some people like to travel the world and try new things. Again, I don't support smoking and riding, but I don't care one bit about smoking.
cyclepsycho7 likes this.

post #43 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 08:59 PM
My R1 eats me.

Garage
THC. HTC makes smart phones. :grinning: I agree 100% and I usually smoke a few times during the week AFTER my mandatory daily ride (weather permitting), NEVER before my ride. After losing my little brother in what would usually be a small fender bender I realize how little it takes on a bike to do SERIOUS and irreversible damage to your body. We don't get fenders, bumpers and airbags. 40% of the time your face/head become a point of impact with sturdy metal at 35 MPH. It may not seem fast but flesh isn't like a front bumper. Riding smart is riding safe.
cyclepsycho7 and iamzombie like this.
post #44 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 11:04 PM
I eat my R1

Perception and reality are very different things. Speak to any psychologist, and most people manufacture their own narratives to help them cope with reality. In a broad sense, we all fall into 2 rough camps:

1. Those who need some sort of crutch, delusion, or narrative to support them in their efforts to cope
2. Those who work through their crutches/delusions/narratives, discarding them and aligning their worldview with truth/reality/whatever.

Most of us human beings fall into category #1. A significant amount of us, through life lessons, learning, wisdom & experience, move into category 2. Most of us however, don't. We build an egoic existence around narratives (delusions, white lies, lies, other self-beliefs) and, when facts or information come along that challenge the fantasy we've built around ourselves, because our egoic beliefs about ourself have been built right into the core of who we wish we were / think we are, the research shows we reject that truth with the same force as if we are avoiding death.

There's a really good book on the subject: "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle
some quotes: https://www.goodreads.com/work/quote...life-s-purpose
https://www.amazon.com/New-Earth-Awa.../dp/0452289963

So what's my point?

Well, I've observed a lot of pot smokers in my life, and most of them are smoking pot because, for a multitude of different reasons, they don't want to, or can't, face reality without it. I know several people who, will argue to the death they're better drivers after punching a few cones. I've heard them ALL argue they are the special exception to the rules which bind everyone else. "Nah man, but I'm different brah because <reason x, y & z>"

Yet, without fail, empirical scientific data shows smoking pot slows reactions, cognitive function, and physical response, and increases errors. "Nah brah, like, I'm different! Science doesn't apply to me, like, 'cause..."

Yeah. Science doesn't apply to them because, according to THEIR TRUTH, pot enhances their skills.

One such friend drove me around over some weeks (I'd lost my license, so was at the mercy of other people for lifts) and sure, if you define 'safe driving' as reducing one's speed to the already retard-level speed limits, one could argue he drove 'safer'. However, in Australia, speed limits are already set for the retards in the bottom 15% skill level. So punching a few cones and driving at the speed limit demonstrates you've lowered yourself into driving at the bottom 15% percentile's skill level.

Proving the very point they're trying to disprove. Only potheads can be that ****ing stupid not to be able to recognise they're scoring intellectual own-goals.

That being said, there are cases where these potheads do experience results which are better than when they are 'straight'. Faster lap times, they can ride harder on the trails, etc. This DOES NOT demonstrate an improvement, it demonstrates instead that the problem area limiting them is instead their mind. their mind is sabotaging them in their 'straight' state.

Instead of removing their mind from the equation, they should instead be facing the root cause head on, and addressing it. Fear, self-doubt, anxiety, whatever - this is sabotaging their 'straight' performance. So, fix the root cause. Such is the powerful effect of fear on their 'straight' state, it's making their performance WORSE than that of when they are a reaction-slowed pothead!

That's not something to be proud of lol.

Denial is part of the human psyche for a reason, it assists with short-term survival in traumatic and dangerous situations. Our minds will often create delusional narratives around ourselves so we can continue to function in the task of survival. However, these delusions aren't supposed to be kept after their purpose is served - the mind will, after the threat passes, start to surface the delusions and call us out on them. Hence, why so much cognitive dissonance and stress in people who are holding on to lies they've built their identities around. The multiple layers of their mind are at odds with each other, and they're spending a lot of energy suppressing this. And so, they turn to pot as a chemical suppressant.

So, if you do come across someone who says they ride 'better' with a few cones in them, it's very much relative. Their definition of 'better' may not be what you think. Their 'better' may be "I'm crippled with fear normally, and my baseline anxiety is high, so belting a few blunts makes me feel safer, more confident, and more in control."

At the end of the day, their belief is not supported by repeatable scientific data. It's a delusion they've told themselves in order to help cope with reality.

Edit: I just read the post by @MouseJstr https://www.r1-forum.com/forums/8197026-post33.html and the research was published in 1977. It's only got one author, http://www.isye.umn.edu/faculty/kvalseth.shtml

He's most commonly published in the Journal of Perceptual and Motor skills, whose impact factor is 0.618. This is really low, which means it's basically an unknown journal with a very low exposure and citation rate. Take Nature - IF of 38.138; nature cell biology 18.68. A journal with an impact factor of less than 3 means it's a very, very small fish in a giant pond.

Given the abstract linked, there's a lack of precise methodology, finer details of the experiments, no information to fill in the blanks about precisely what and how the experiments were. We know the sample set was 6 experienced Marijuana users, and we are told the dosages - they were volunteers, perhaps the dosages were much lower than they were used to? For all we know, TO Kvalseth might have measured picking up coffee cup motor skills (the moving targets?) we don't know. There's not enough information in that abstract to repeat his experiments or draw any meaningful data. We'd need to view the full text in order to know.

His name is of Nordic origin (pro marijuana countries) and given his visage, probably fond of a toke. It's almost a given he's going to publish a paper in 1977 supportive of marijuana. So, the validity of that article in arguing pot doesn't have an adverse impact on all the factors required for riding is not tenable. That paper, just can't be used as current or valid research - except, as a snapshot of a historical position.

Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

Last edited by TwentySixRed; 08-07-2016 at 11:53 PM.
post #45 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 01:20 AM
Build Quality Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgie Smuggler View Post
I get the feeling that there's no use discussing this with you anyway, as you just come across as an aggressive asshole in your entire post.
Who is really the a-hole here...?

The guy telling the drug user that the decision to ride his motorcycle lies with himself...? Potentially sending him out completely stoned...? Potentially causing a crash wiping somebody elses life out...?

Or the guy arguing him...?

But you are right about the aggressive part and that there is no use discussing this with me. I do have a tendency of not being very forgiving towards obvious idiots and I am not about to change my opinion about drugs and vehicles just because couple of potheads think it's a brilliant idea to ride after smoking weed. I went to school and I was smart enough to listen, understand and use the information I was given. I also know one completely innocent person who's life is no longer the same after an encounter with a pothead driving a car. That is proof enough for me.

Furthermore, this entire thread should be moved from this forum section to the misc. section. This shite has got nothing to do with the R1M. If anything, this whole thread is a disgrace to the R1M, indicating "the closest thing to a MotoGP bike" is not enough of a kick.

Racing is all about
maintaining the highest possible acceleration
in the appropriate direction.

Peter G Wright, Technical Director, Lotus
post #46 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 02:47 AM
Venom X/O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuuuba_Steve View Post
I don't drink and ride or smoke and ride, but the term druggie doesn't even make sense when talking about a pothead. Nobody steals money from their moms wallets or sells their matress to buy weed. It's not an addiction.

Try removing the dildo up your ass and live a little. Your life seems hella boring. Not everyone cares about blowing shit up or shooting a watermelon into tiny pieces. Some people like to travel the world and try new things. Again, I don't support smoking and riding, but I don't care one bit about smoking.
And I don't care one bit about smoking. Getting high is not living to me, and I have no interest in it.

Anyone who tries to justify getting high has zero credibility with me.
iamzombie, Alatalo and NoExpert like this.

Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squadron

Last edited by Gearheaded; 08-08-2016 at 02:50 AM.
post #47 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 03:52 AM
R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHB537 View Post
It's nonsense trying to reason with a druggie. All they'll ever do is give you their reason and try their best to justify them, pretty much like women do. Same chyt.
I won't even begin to explain how stupid this comment is. You probably wouldn't get it after responding with such an ignorant comment.
Lilbro99R1 likes this.

Lucky 13 Squadron

post #48 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 06:08 AM
Just happy to be here...

Garage
Is this still even a topic of discussion... really.... Its like the Definition of trolling
milheim05 likes this.

@trash_panda_338 follow me on instagram

post #49 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 08:06 AM
R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banky View Post
Is this still even a topic of discussion... really.... Its like the Definition of trolling
Lol, still somewhat on topic, just a few miscellaneous arguments and comments in between. To get back on topic, riding an MC is dangerous enough and as an older person now I believe it's not a smart thing to ride impaired at all, that even includes not enough sleep. I feel very lucky to have gotten past my younger days when my judgement wasn't what it is today.

Lucky 13 Squadron

post #50 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 01:29 PM
Plastic surgery pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuuuba_Steve View Post
There are people that certainly become stuck in cycles of smoking, and even if it's low risk for addiction, it's still a drug.

Quote:
And I don't care one bit about smoking. Getting high is not living to me, and I have no interest in it.

Hm, so that combined with never drinking coffee...I assume you don't consume alcohol?
post #51 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 01:54 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:

Okay well you certainty live within a set of strict boundaries. I personally have been traveled, tried a whole shit load of drugs, experienced different food and drinks, and would love to explore more things. I know many successful people thats careers solely depend on their creative abilities. My cousin who works for Disney said Disney does not drug test for the mere fact that they'd lose all of their talent. The fact that you firmly state that anyone who tries to justify anything other than your beliefs puts you in a state of isolation. Opening up your mind and seeing everybody as a teacher would do wonders for you. Even the most cracked out person can teach you something if you let them.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk
cyclepsycho7 and Carne Seca like this.

post #52 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 02:07 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesoapster View Post
There are people that certainly become stuck in cycles of smoking, and even if it's low risk for addiction, it's still a drug.
I wouldn't necessarily say stuck. I see it as they like it and want to do it. It's not difficult at all to stop smoking weed.

I know it is a drug, but I don't classify it as such in terms of negative substances, which most would classify other drugs as. Crack, heroin, acid, crystal meth, even alcohol should be classified negatively with negative side effects of addiction and poor health. To me, weed is just a substance that is consumed.
cyclepsycho7 likes this.

post #53 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 02:11 PM
I eat my R1

Garage
Anything that modifies your impairment IMO you shouldn't do while riding...

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
cyclepsycho7 likes this.
post #54 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 02:26 PM
I am anger under pressure

It's not a drug. It's a flower.

PCIII USB|Yamaha Seat Cowl|R&G Frame Sliders|Greggs Custom Barend Sliders|Intuitive 6MM swing arm spools|CRG Shorty Clutch & Brake Levers|Clear Alternatives Brake/Tail Light Integrator|R&R Fender Eliminator|Harris Grips|High Gear Tech Mount|Puig Dark Smoke Racing Screen|Graves Velocity Stacks|Cycle Gadgets Quick Change Oil Kit|Watsons Flushmount Turn Signals|Custom Race Baffles|Graves Clutch Slider|Acumen Gear Indicator|Racer Solutions Remote Laptimer Kit|Galfer SS Brake Lines|Graves Rearsets
post #55 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 06:33 PM
Oaxaca Flocka Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamp View Post
Anything that modifies your impairment IMO you shouldn't do while riding...

how high are you right now?

modifies your impairment?

post #56 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 06:40 PM
I eat my R1

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carne Seca View Post
how high are you right now?

modifies your impairment?

Never have smoke weed once... Only drink occasionally... I've done the drunk riding, not smart

post #57 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 01:11 AM
YUUUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alatalo View Post
Who is really the a-hole here...?

The guy telling the drug user that the decision to ride his motorcycle lies with himself...? Potentially sending him out completely stoned...? Potentially causing a crash wiping somebody elses life out...?

Or the guy arguing him...?

But you are right about the aggressive part and that there is no use discussing this with me. I do have a tendency of not being very forgiving towards obvious idiots and I am not about to change my opinion about drugs and vehicles just because couple of potheads think it's a brilliant idea to ride after smoking weed. I went to school and I was smart enough to listen, understand and use the information I was given. I also know one completely innocent person who's life is no longer the same after an encounter with a pothead driving a car. That is proof enough for me.

Furthermore, this entire thread should be moved from this forum section to the misc. section. This shite has got nothing to do with the R1M. If anything, this whole thread is a disgrace to the R1M, indicating "the closest thing to a MotoGP bike" is not enough of a kick.
cyclepsycho7 likes this.
post #58 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 08:55 AM
My R1 eats me.

Garage
I was a heroin addict for years (I have been clean for years now) and I can see validation in a lot of the comments from all of you. In our different life choices we have all obviously experienced the same things from our own perspective and in our own way. Don't forget that we are here to support the sport that we love so much: Motorcycle Riding. My little brother rode stoned all the time because he had Ulceritive Colitis and was too young to be on steroids but needed something for the pain and to manage symptoms. Does that mean I will ride with someone who has recently smoked? No. I ride to carry my brothers love of riding on in his absence. I may not go directly on a ride with someone who just smoked but I will still give you deuces riding by and give any help I can. Riding isn't about politics. It's about freedom, speed, precision and rebellion. All I want from fellow riders is for them to be safe for themselves and everyone around them.
post #59 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 12:20 PM
SuperbikeUnlimited.com

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchbluE View Post
Girls.... weed today has way more HTC levels than the weed that was avail more than 10 years ago. Weed is more potent than ever....It is not your grandpas or daddys weed anymore.
sorry,,,,, i wus hi when i typed this.......
cyclepsycho7 likes this.
post #60 of 79 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 01:08 PM
Yeah so I blew myself up!!

Time to lighten the tone

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode