Crossplane vs. Not so Crossplane - Page 3 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 12:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by One2 View Post
That's 600cc compared to 1000cc.
yeah. this is the first 1000 I've ever owned to be honest. I like the vibes. not like your girlfriend does however.
Torchsport likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 12:52 PM
“Rhinestone Cowboy” MF Doom

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaharandy View Post
yeah. this is the first 1000 I've ever owned to be honest. I like the vibes. not like your girlfriend does however.
Kiss my black ass Randy.
thesoapster and RichRaven05 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #43 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Ride Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamp View Post
They completely change every throttle and decel characteristic of the bike. Best money spent is in a ecu flash imo, ecu flash can do way more than a PC, I'll never buy another PC if I can flash the bike.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Tapatalk
Will shops be able to tune a flashed ECU just as easy?

Bikes owned
06 R6 Raven - sold.
05 R1 Yamaha was blue, now she's White!

Offroaders
99CR250R - Long gone.
post #44 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 05:33 PM
I eat my R1

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Joe_Bob View Post
Will shops be able to tune a flashed ECU just as easy?
It's exactly the same thing as power commander, you can actually upload a power commander fuel map to the software for flash tune. Sense a software key is registered to the ecu once it's flashed you might need to bring your laptop in the shop with them so you can upload the tuned maps. I'm pretty sure any reputable motorcycle dyno place will know what a flash tune is.

post #45 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 05:36 PM
I eat my R1

Garage

Here is a video that shows what I'm describing

post #46 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 09:14 PM
"What"

Garage
I'm running a ECU flash by Woolich in the Bus and turned it into a totally different motorcycle, power across the board and gained a few horses. Took a full day to create a custom map to smooth everything out and since i'll be turning the exhaust into a complete soon, it'll run me another $450 to readjust the map,other places are charging in excess of $800 for the flash and $600 for 3 dyno runs.
gkamp likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sig By Petrol Spice.
post #47 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 10:59 PM
R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchsport View Post
Interesting. I've put over 20,000 miles on two different 2002s and now a 2003.
Never noticed vibrations...

I prefer the wail of the "screamer" engines myself.
And it's not because I'm too cheap to buy a newer R1.
I have a few other new screamers as well.
I'm one of the very few that feel the same as you, I like the sound and power band of the screamers better. I've ridden a friends CP that was flashed and modded nicly and I like the straight I4 better. JMO

Quote:
Crossplane engines vibrate far less than flatplane engines.

Smooth power.
My 02 or my 06 have no vibration whats so ever. I have bar end mirrors and there is no blur at all throughout the entire rev range.
Dai. and Torchsport like this.

Lucky 13 Squadron

Last edited by cyclepsycho7; 12-11-2016 at 11:07 PM.
post #48 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 09:18 AM
I eat my R1

I had an 08 and an 09 back to back and the 09 definitely vibrated more(with flashed ECU too). I would still pick the xplane in a second though because like i said before that, that bike sounds vicious with a am pipe.

Correct me if im wrong but i think the flash doesnt do much for the 08's and under.
gkamp likes this.
post #49 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 05:50 PM
Banned

If you have a good set of speakers this video captures the engine growl very well.

https://youtu.be/ABP6UWLv13Y
post #50 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 09:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaharandy View Post
If you have a good set of speakers this video captures the engine growl very well.

https://youtu.be/ABP6UWLv13Y
The guy in front in all black is all crossed up. My BP isn't perfect but damn.

post #51 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 06:51 AM

I've never been to a track so my opinion doesn't mean much but he looked pretty fast to me.

Lucky 13 Squadron

post #52 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 07:43 AM

Garage

post #53 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 02:04 AM
Cabin Fever!

Garage
first my hx, started with a 600f4i, drug the pegs off and drug the can, till I got an erion racing can.... such a screamer!, then graduated to 08 cbr 1krr, a few of them to be honest...absolutely loved them! felt completely at home every time I sat on one. rode the tires off them, and crashed them as well (at the track)

one lowly day decided to toss a leg over a 15 r1 for a casual test ride out of curiosity. 10 miles later I was completely hooked. The feel, the constant build of power, and the lack of vibration...I was addicted. Now my theme song seems like Dr. Dre, Never Enough (2004).
post #54 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 04:33 AM

Quote:
I connected exterior speaker on my computer just to listen to that vid and TBH I still like the sound of my bike with my Termi's much better. As always, it just a matter of opinion.

Lucky 13 Squadron

post #55 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 08:14 AM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclepsycho7 View Post
I connected exterior speaker on my computer just to listen to that vid and TBH I still like the sound of my bike with my Termi's much better. As always, it just a matter of opinion.
Please keep your stupid unedumacated opinion to yourself lol It is a very love hate sound though. I let a friend ride my xplane while i took her bike and she had the nerve to say it didnt sound good. Needless to say shes not my friend anymore
post #56 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papawle View Post
Please keep your stupid unedumacated opinion to yourself lol It is a very love hate sound though. I let a friend ride my xplane while i took her bike and she had the nerve to say it didnt sound good. Needless to say shes not my friend anymore

Hahaha, I like your sense of humor, LOL.

Edit: I'm not 100% sure but I think you can flash the 07-08 and get some decent performance results because that's when fly by wire started but my 06 and below your better off with a PC and dyno tune. That's what I did and the bike is sick fast with excellent response no matter what RPM your at but the performance on the 06 and below is only as good as your dyno tuner is.....
Dai., Papawle and RichRaven05 like this.

Lucky 13 Squadron

Last edited by cyclepsycho7; 12-14-2016 at 09:02 AM.
post #57 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-15-2016, 04:38 AM
Thousands of Revolutions

Garage
$610.00 for the Flashtune kit in Australia, or $475 to just send it in and have it done. Our dollar is below $US. ( http://motorcycleworkshop.com.au/pro...ash-tune-kits/ ) This site is like a storefront for http://dynobike.com/
I flashed it with another member's tune for my '09. Pretty good, but on hot days a roll on flat spot.
Plus, I live out in the boondocks, and the bike dyno guys here don't know how to deal with the flashtune setup. They said they can deal with a PC5 though.

I splashed for the PC5. They're tuning it next week.

Putting PC5 tune data in, do you need the datalogit(?) cable? That was extra on the $610.

As a Ducati and V8 fan, I like the sound.
cyclepsycho7 and Dai. like this.

Last edited by Seasalt; 12-15-2016 at 04:42 AM.
post #58 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 09:56 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dai. View Post
Over 20,000km's between two 05's here and they were smooth like butter, ridden the crossplanker and found that to vibrate a lot more.
Yeah, almost 70,000 k's on 2000, 2001, and a 2007 R1s. Just over 30,000 k's on my 2012. The planker is a lot more vibey engine - that's why Yamaha had to put such a large counter-rotating balancer shaft in the crossplane motor. That being said, once you rev the crossplane past 5K, it becomes smooth. The counter rotating shaft does it's job. Once you rev the screamers past 8-9K they go from being butter smooth to a hand-tingling vibey, but that's due to the harmonics of the inline 4 and it's inertial torque. The vibes come up into the bars. However, you can fix the bar vibes with heavier bar end weights. HVMP Motorcycle Bar Ends to Reduce Vibrations will sort you out.
Dai. likes this.

Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.
post #59 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 10:17 PM
"What"

Garage
I added a set of R&G bar ends to absorb the vibrations and for crash protection but I was never past 8,000rpm for long as I have a habit of attracting the police in weird locations.

Sig By Petrol Spice.
post #60 of 63 (permalink) Old 12-20-2016, 08:22 AM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentySixRed View Post
Yeah, almost 70,000 k's on 2000, 2001, and a 2007 R1s. Just over 30,000 k's on my 2012. The planker is a lot more vibey engine - that's why Yamaha had to put such a large counter-rotating balancer shaft in the crossplane motor. That being said, once you rev the crossplane past 5K, it becomes smooth. The counter rotating shaft does it's job. Once you rev the screamers past 8-9K they go from being butter smooth to a hand-tingling vibey, but that's due to the harmonics of the inline 4 and it's inertial torque. The vibes come up into the bars. However, you can fix the bar vibes with heavier bar end weights. HVMP Motorcycle Bar Ends to Reduce Vibrations will sort you out.
the new one (2nd gen??) 15+ has less internal weight as well, I'm still shocked at the growl combined with no tingles at all. No hand numbness on long rides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode