Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums banner

Spied: Ducati's New V4 Superbike

7K views 54 replies 25 participants last post by  ussprinceton 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
See less See more
#6 ·
I read about Hardly Ableson trying to buy Ducati a week ago. I hope not. I've been able to resist a 1299, and it has been hard. A V4 version that resistance would be defeated. With Ducatis, the first year of a fmc, nah, it is a cluster fuk. Year 2-3 much easier. So I'm safe for a few years :lol

If that thing hits the stealers, Honda looks like the most tarded manu on the planet. Not one V4 on the market, but two, and one of them isn't a Honda. That's pathetic. Honda historically have been the V4 company. They've made some greats, some classics, but remain vehemently incessant that nothing affordable comes out of there that doesn't have an inline 4.

And actually I should have said 3 V4's on the market and Honda isn't one of them....because the R1 crossplane engine, is a virtual V4, due to the crank and firing order. Furusawa figuring out how to make a V4 out of inline 4 for cost and packaging reasons. The inline 4 is easier to move around in a chassis than a Vee with two heads. Lots more setup and packaging options, a real V4 you are limited in comparison.

Please bring it Ducati. And refuse Hardly Ableson's offer. Sell to a company with some technological expertise, someone who operates and engineers in 2017 instead of someone stuck in 1970 and making more off trinkets than motorcycles. The day I see Ducati bought, sold, and serviced in a Hardly dealer is the day I will never buy one. That Ape RSV4 is a damn good bike, maybe the best on the market today, and it don't cost Ducati money, it's a V4, and Italian.

#7 ·
I read about Hardly Ableson trying to buy Ducati a week ago. I hope not. I've been able to resist a 1299, and it has been hard. A V4 version that resistance would be defeated. With Ducatis, the first year of a fmc, nah, it is a cluster fuk. Year 2-3 much easier. So I'm safe for a few years :lol

If that thing hits the stealers, Honda looks like the most tarded manu on the planet. Not one V4 on the market, but two, and one of them isn't a Honda. That's pathetic. Honda historically have been the V4 company. They've made some greats, some classics, but remain vehemently incessant that nothing affordable comes out of there that doesn't have an inline 4.

And actually I should have said 3 V4's on the market and Honda isn't one of them....because the R1 crossplane engine, is a virtual V4, due to the crank and firing order. Furusawa figuring out how to make a V4 out of inline 4 for cost and packaging reasons. The inline 4 is easier to move around in a chassis than a Vee with two heads. Lots more setup and packaging options, a real V4 you are limited in comparison.

Please bring it Ducati. And refuse Hardly Ableson's offer. Sell to a company with some technological expertise, someone who operates and engineers in 2017 instead of someone stuck in 1970 and making more off trinkets than motorcycles. The day I see Ducati bought, sold, and serviced in a Hardly dealer is the day I will never buy one. That Ape RSV4 is a damn good bike, maybe the best on the market today, and it don't cost Ducati money, it's a V4, and Italian.
What is a "tarded manu"?

#11 ·
Oh man! :scared I would be PISSED if something like that happened to me! Moreover as there's no dealer here that could warrant a replacement engine. Could it have been a freak accident/undiagnosed factory problem?

From everything I've seen in most Youtube videos, everyone seems to speak highly of the 1299. :surprise:

#14 ·
I dunno much about the Pani, but let's face it, the 15 R1 has had its share of issues.
One thing I am sure of is that the zx10 are absolutely bomb proof. So many racing, and I can honestly say I haven't heard of one breaking it's engine. Of the 3 R1 that race locally, 2 have broken engines. Of the 20 or so zx10. Zero engine failures. S1000rr are also kinda soft. We have one pani and it's been good thus far.

#16 ·
The first of the new Gen(11??) was recalled for valve spring issues. 1st gen bikes all have issues.

I've got a '12 Multistrada with 25,000 miles and climbing and it's been amazing. My 25 year old CBR 400RR just ate it's first stator, any bikes gonna have issues.

That being said it's about time Ducati step up. I've owned 3 total, had it not been for the heat issue I would've have had a 1299S, but the R1M won that choice and I have 0 regret.

#15 ·
Excellent feedback, guys. This is really appreciated! It's a shame though, I always liked the body lines of Ducati and their different engines. Looks like everyone made a good decision to go with Yamaha here. :grouphug:

#17 ·
Ducati is def going to Harley.

Single sided swinger soft tails and baggers, panigale with saddle bags.

Get ready people.

As for the Duc V4, I'll hold my reservations. Ducati is doing much better with bikes, but they aren't Yamaha, BMW, or Kawi...

#18 ·
Ducati is def going to Harley.

Single sided swinger soft tails and baggers, panigale with saddle bags.

Get ready people.

As for the Duc V4, I'll hold my reservations. Ducati is doing much better with bikes, but they aren't Yamaha, BMW, or Kawi...
Absolutely...they've gotten to the place of showing great (maybe best) numbers (power, torque, curb weight), but they still haven't made something that actually "works" better than the top competition.

#19 ·
My take on this is that Duc have taken the L2 as far as it can go with the current state of the art materials and design. To get decent top end power out of 1/2 the cylinders and 1/4 of the combustion surface to volume ratio, they have pushed L2 design to the limit. However, they still need a 300 cc "gimmie" (that's 30%) to be competitive in the "liter" class.

For MotoGP, with its single capacity limit they use a V4. So a V4 "liter" class Sportbike would make more sense than a 1300cc L2.

#20 ·
The big Panigale models can't meet Euro 4, or at least not in a way that Ducati would be happy with. So they are out of production and can't be sold new after the end of 2017.

The 959 Pani and the big VVT engines (Multistrada, etc.) are Euro 4 compliant.

Sent from my SM-G9208 using Tapatalk

#28 ·
I have yet to meet a Ducati owner in person that rides well.

It's all about the image.

I'd rather have an RSV4.

Come ride with me sometime sir. That's a pretty blanket statement. And yes, I've met "those" guys on Ducs.

I don't consider myself a Ducati owner per se, as i'm not brand loyal other than I've owned more Yamaha's in my lifetime than any other brand, and my first bike was a Yamaha.

#26 ·
I had a 1199.

I hated it. It was uncomfortable and hot as hell. I was afraid to track it. Parts are crazy expensive.

I love my 2016 r1.

#45 ·
He hasn't been stuck in Hawaii his whole life, let's not forget that.

Also, he never said all, he just said he personally hasn't met any. Not the best choice of words, but I am in the same boat as him. Only Ducati rider I've ever seen that can ride was a douche :dunno

I know there are guys out there that can ride and own a Ducati, but I attest it to Ferrari ownership; most can't drive for shiz and are DB's

#46 ·
For sure I meant nothing against One2. We talk or text a couple time a month depending on certain things going on with our bikes.

I'm mearly pointing out there are some wicked fast riders down here using the Panigale in the manner Bologna intended. :thumbup

Makes me go all :ncont::5::eek:

Reactions: DarkHorse
#47 · (Edited)
I've seen so many 'Poser's' who think they're the 'sh!t' trying to impersonate their favorite Motogp rider's elbow down body position on public highways end up with their overly modded '46' clad bikes waded up in ditches and them in the hospital, or dead. I can tell you from experience when you buy a special bike like a Ducati that cost more than 20k you tend not to ride it like a Gixxer. I don't make any money from riding motorcycles, It's a hobby that I love and helps relieve the stress of my busy professional life. About the only thing I love more than throwing a leg over my bike is pulling into my garage with myself and bike in one piece. I will never understand the guys who glorify riding recklessly & crashing as a some sort of 'rite of passage' to being a 'real' rider.

#49 ·
You forgot the leopard print speedo...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.