Coolant issues? - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jaketheone46
  • 1 Post By DarkHorse
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.
 
Smokeedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 12
Coolant issues?

Hi i just acquired an 08 and It seems to run a steady 180 to 200 degree when I'm riding highway but In these city red lights I find myself quickly getting up to 230 and have the fans come on. Also when itsidlng it continues to climb.
My question is:
Is it normal for my r1 temps to never stabilize? Or do I need to inspect my coolant system for problems?
Smokeedog is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 09:16 AM
THEONEGTIVR6
 
Jaketheone46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Florence Ky
Posts: 1,305
Well getting up to 220 in traffic and at lights is normal and is also when fans kick on. It should go down to 210 then fans kick off. If it is not going down when fans kick on something is not right. Are both fans working?? If so try freshening up your coolant after a good flush plus remove your radiator and spray all the bugs out. You could spray your radiator out while mounted I guess but then all that junk would end up all over your engine. Riding on the highway in hot weather I see 170/180. Never seen 200 before at highway pace. Mine is a 04/06 which is the generation before yours though. But I believe they ran about the same temps. The 09/14 which is the generation after yours runs a bit hotter. The highest I've ever seen is 221 but the fans had just kicked on and it started dropping.
RichRaven05 likes this.

04 R1 Gilles rear sets carbon fiber front fender,chain guard ,dash panels and heel guards. Pirelli supercorsa v2s my baby

Last edited by Jaketheone46; 09-22-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Jaketheone46 is online now  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 09:18 AM
“Rhinestone Cowboy” MF Doom
 
DarkHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 10,711
Garage
230 is normal on a hot day in traffic.

I would drain and refill the coolant system with fresh coolant if you don't know when the last time it was done.

Engine Ice is a good coolant and won't kill your dog.
RichRaven05 likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DarkHorse is offline  
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 09:50 AM
Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"
 
RichRaven05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Central FL
Posts: 265
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketheone46 View Post
Well getting up to 220 in traffic and at lights is normal and is also when fans kick on. It should go down to 210 then fans kick off. If it is not going down when fans kick on something is not right. Are both fans working?? If so try freshening up your coolant after a good flush plus remove your radiator and spray all the bugs out. You could spray your radiator out while mounted I guess but then all that junk would end up all over your engine. Riding on the highway in hot weather I see 170/180. Never seen 200 before at highway pace. Mine is a 04/06 which is the generation before yours though. But I believe they ran about the same temps. The 09/14 which is the generation after yours runs a bit hotter. The highest I've ever seen is 221 but the fans had just kicked on and it started dropping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by One2 View Post
230 is normal on a hot day in traffic.

I would drain and refill the coolant system with fresh coolant if you don't know when the last time it was done.

Engine Ice is a good coolant and won't kill your dog.

Several months ago, my temp got all the way up to 240! I had a red light come on so I decided to just shut her off! This was in +90 degree FL heat on the highway on-ramp, my fan(s) had come on but traffic was not moving! I sweated it out about 10 minutes after the temps had come down and once I got moving, no problems. About a week or so later, changed my coolant to engine ice and my running temps have come down about 10 degrees. No problems since. Normally, at pace, they [temps] are fine, now, they are even better. Although I do need to verify that both of my fans are working. I seem to remember questioning that some time ago.

*2005 R1 Custom Santander Replica: 19K, M4 Full System, PCV, 6000K HID (Lo)*
RichRaven05 is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 10:26 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.
 
Smokeedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 12
My fans switch on at 230 I believe. I have had it get up that high a couple times in traffic before I realized it but I immediately shut it down and pulled over and took a break til they were back to about 190 or I had a good mile to run at speed. I have no issues with it over heating while riding. It prolly was closer to ur 170 to 180. I might be factoring in temps from just getting in the highway (Seeing as i dont have a right rearset I havnt took it in many long rides) I think ima let it get to 230 today at idle and let the fan kick on and check that both are spinning. Even at idle the fan should be enough to lower the temp back to 210? Next step will be co plate radiator flush and coolant change. I've heard good things about both engine ice and wetter water.
Smokeedog is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 06:37 PM
Blue, you're my boy!
 
juiced gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Houston
Posts: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeedog View Post
Hi i just acquired an 08 and It seems to run a steady 180 to 200 degree when I'm riding highway but In these city red lights I find myself quickly getting up to 230 and have the fans come on. Also when itsidlng it continues to climb.
My question is:
Is it normal for my r1 temps to never stabilize? Or do I need to inspect my coolant system for problems?
this has been normal operation for my 07 since i bought her new. this is a big reason why i dont like riding in the summer time(also underseat exhaust), but i get to ride all winter so its a wash for me. im not worried about the engine over heating. just uncomfortable.

Last edited by juiced gt; 09-22-2017 at 06:40 PM.
juiced gt is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 09:10 PM
THEONEGTIVR6
 
Jaketheone46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Florence Ky
Posts: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by One2 View Post
230 is normal on a hot day in traffic.

I would drain and refill the coolant system with fresh coolant if you don't know when the last time it was done.

Engine Ice is a good coolant and won't kill your dog.
Soon as my fans come on at 220 it starts dropping. Sometimes it may see 221 i guess it depends on the timing of the fans kicking on. And once the fans come on it drops fairly quickly as well. If it was to climb to 230 with the fans on I would think something was wrong. What year is your bike?? I've heard many 09/14 talk about seeing 230 but not a 04/06 or 07/08. I don't see why Yamaha choose such a high temp to kick on myself. I'm having mine lowered to 200 fan start by ivans performance plus I have also picked up a second lower radiator for additional cooling.
Could be that Hawaii weather 230 is definitely getting up there. Gotta think 230 at the radiator would put ya in the 255 range in the motor and this is just to hot for me for sure. Anything over 185 is costing hp.


04 R1 Gilles rear sets carbon fiber front fender,chain guard ,dash panels and heel guards. Pirelli supercorsa v2s my baby

Last edited by Jaketheone46; 09-23-2017 at 06:41 AM.
Jaketheone46 is online now  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 10:51 AM
“Rhinestone Cowboy” MF Doom
 
DarkHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 10,711
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketheone46 View Post
Soon as my fans come on at 220 it starts dropping. Sometimes it may see 221 i guess it depends on the timing of the fans kicking on. And once the fans come on it drops fairly quickly as well. If it was to climb to 230 with the fans on I would think something was wrong. What year is your bike?? I've heard many 09/14 talk about seeing 230 but not a 04/06 or 07/08. I don't see why Yamaha choose such a high temp to kick on myself. I'm having mine lowered to 200 fan start by ivans performance plus I have also picked up a second lower radiator for additional cooling.
Could be that Hawaii weather 230 is definitely getting up there. Gotta think 230 at the radiator would put ya in the 255 range in the motor and this is just to hot for me for sure. Anything over 185 is costing hp.

It gets hotter in NC and SC than it does in Hawaii.

Before an ECU flash, a 09-14 can easily see 230°.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DarkHorse; 09-23-2017 at 10:57 AM.
DarkHorse is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-23-2017, 12:21 PM
THEONEGTIVR6
 
Jaketheone46's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Florence Ky
Posts: 1,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by One2 View Post
It gets hotter in NC and SC than it does in Hawaii.

Before an ECU flash, a 09-14 can easily see 230°.
I have heard the 09/14 does run a bit on the warm side for sure. I mentioned it in post 2. If I had a 09/14 I would definitely upgrade the cooling system. It's the only generation that has a full size unit available that's drop in ready with all stock hook ups including fan mounts and all. Csf radiators makes it and if it was available for 04/06 I would have grabbed it for sure. All of the large radiators available for all other gens need fan mounts added and additional fittings added as well for street use being there all set up for racing. I originally wanted to pick up a full sized radiator myself but every one I found there was just too much involved. Stuff like adding fan mounts which is no biggie but also having to add mounts for different stock accessories and the thermostat bypass fitting and no telling what else. I almost bought csfs rad for the 09/14 to try and put on my 04 but then decided a second lower radiator should do the trick.

04 R1 Gilles rear sets carbon fiber front fender,chain guard ,dash panels and heel guards. Pirelli supercorsa v2s my baby

Last edited by Jaketheone46; 09-23-2017 at 12:26 PM.
Jaketheone46 is online now  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 09:51 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 35
Since we're on the topic, last monday it was 107 in the valley (Los Angeles Area) and I was riding my 07 home. It was hot, but as soon as I hit the streets and stoplights, holy crap. It hit 230 and stayed there. I also needed to fill up so I pulled over in the gas station. Filled up and turned it on and it was freaking 260!!! Red lights galore! But as soon as I moved it dropped and fans turned on etc. But still it stayed at 230 at all stop lights. So Engine Ice is the best for this? Plus removing CATS should help alot?
Oleg232000 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome