PowerCommander V & Auto-tune on an 06 R1? - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

9Likes
  • 1 Post By bacchus40
  • 2 Post By myr1f
  • 2 Post By DarkHorse
  • 1 Post By bacchus40
  • 1 Post By TwentySixRed
  • 1 Post By TwentySixRed
  • 1 Post By bacchus40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

PowerCommander V & Auto-tune on an 06 R1?

Hi guys,
I'm thinking of getting a PC-V & Autotune combo on my 06, anything to look out for? I'm reading reviews raving about the setup, and then others cursing it.

For those who are running it, what issues have you come across? Are you happy with the setup?

Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 10:54 PM
kickin' at the darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentySixRed View Post
Hi guys,
I'm thinking of getting a PC-V & Autotune combo on my 06, anything to look out for? I'm reading reviews raving about the setup, and then others cursing it.

For those who are running it, what issues have you come across?
see below

Quote:
and then others cursing it.

in all seriousness.. proven results, time and again.. some folks hate the learning curve

lots of info here https://www.r1-forum.com/forums/10-a...l-display.html
TwentySixRed likes this.

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, LV EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS remove, GYTR air, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc
HINSON Billet bskt, Barnett CF stack, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech adjust, ANNITORI RL, CLEVER WOLF CF tank cover, RIZOMA
grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows GYTR, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK
CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines, Accossato Radial 19x18, Motodynamic

Last edited by bacchus40; 03-03-2019 at 10:58 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 11:39 AM
My R1 eats me.

Garage
I can't say for sure on r6 but I had it on my 2008 R1 years back and I had no issues. Even took it off when I sold the bike and sold it separate for good money.
bacchus40 and TwentySixRed like this.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 02:14 PM
“Rhinestone Cowboy” MF Doom

Garage
People who curse it are ignorant. I have Dyno results showing that my bike is spot on with the AFRs I set to tune for.
bacchus40 and TwentySixRed like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 06:25 PM
kickin' at the darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkHorse View Post
People who curse it are ignorant. I have Dyno results showing that my bike is spot on with the AFRs I set to tune for.
ignorant is a pretty big word, considering all it takes is a little reading on the subject.

i worked closely with Dusty when he was active on the forum, great bunch of guys down in Vegas,
i cannot recommend their products enough.

i use the auto tune between my R1, my 1854cc v-twin and dad's trike..

its an exact science, whats not to like?. Slap on a bosch high bandwidth O2 sensor on
each bike and move the AT unit to each bike as required, takes 15 minutes

i tune all my bikes, no appointment necessary
TwentySixRed likes this.

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, LV EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS remove, GYTR air, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc
HINSON Billet bskt, Barnett CF stack, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech adjust, ANNITORI RL, CLEVER WOLF CF tank cover, RIZOMA
grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows GYTR, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK

Last edited by bacchus40; 03-06-2019 at 06:35 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post
ignorant is a pretty big word, considering all it takes is a little reading on the subject.

i worked closely with Dusty when he was active on the forum, great bunch of guys down in Vegas,
i cannot recommend their products enough.

i use the auto tune between my R1, my 1854cc v-twin and dad's trike..

its an exact science, whats not to like?. Slap on a bosch high bandwidth O2 sensor on
each bike and move the AT unit to each bike as required, takes 15 minutes

i tune all my bikes, no appointment necessary
Awesome - just what I was hoping to hear. I don't mind a bit of reading, and having the ability to take my tuning into my own hands is a huge bonus for me.

I've seen the Bosch O2 sensors for sale, they look identical to the O2 sensors which come with the Powercommander? Do I need to upgrade? Or is the sensor with the PC V good enough?
bacchus40 likes this.

Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post
see below

in all seriousness.. proven results, time and again.. some folks hate the learning curve

lots of info here https://www.r1-forum.com/forums/10-a...l-display.html
EPIC THREAD! Thanks mate, this really helps!!
bacchus40 likes this.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 09:26 PM
kickin' at the darkness

Quote:

I've seen the Bosch O2 sensors for sale, they look identical to the O2 sensors which come with the Powercommander? Do I need to upgrade? Or is the sensor with the PC V good enough?
same sensor, different wiring harness.. and bosch offers it with a longer wiring harness which is always good..

the AT unit is the exact same part

do a search on here and you'll find a part number if you need a 'replacement'..

Quote:
EPIC THREAD! Thanks mate, this really helps!!
happy to help.. i put a fair bit of thought into it and most posts have been edited for accuracy of info where possible.

most people that bitch about AT, never enabled advanced (per) gear mapping.. thats the KEY

its only 'slow' in comparison to Dyno units which are a little more advanced so you need to touch an rpm / tps
'value box' 5 times b4 getting a proper reading / recommended fuel adjustment 'value'. This isnt very difficult
at all though as you ride.. Just dont expect to go out there n' ride around the block once and its tuned..

you need to start with 'larger' adjustments and slowly narrow down to a tighter 'state of tune'.

the bonus of AT is it obviously takes into account RAM air, which is IMPOSSIBLE on a dyno

i've always thought its absolutely hilarious folks get a 4th gear roll on dyno and instantly think the bike just
magically makes that exact horsepower figure in every gear regardless of TPS value, AFR mixture etc.

i've done an AFR log session while ONLY running my original 4th gear tune and 2nd / 3rd gear were pathetic..

Also, a bike with only 3k kms isnt gonna create the same horsepower over a specific RPM figure over its entire life time..
As others have found here even a valve adjustment will generally lead to different engine behavior / response, which
means you'll have to tune it again.

over the life of ownership an AT / PCV package will actually save you $$$ over dyno time;
your engine will thank you for it as it will be much cooler while its being tuned.
TwentySixRed likes this.

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

Last edited by bacchus40; 03-10-2019 at 09:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode