Thinking about buying 2001 R1 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
General Motorcycle Discussions Any general discussions related to Motorcycles goes in here.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By ChR1z

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Thinking about buying 2001 R1

My neighbor has an 01 r1 has been sitting for almost a year 19k on the odometer cranks but wont turn over looks like the carbs may be leaking he wants to sell it to me for 1200 and some ceiling fans installed in his house is that a good deal? For an 18yr old r1 not running
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:05 PM
Hope is what makes us Human.

Last gen of the Carb R1. ALWAYS a good idea! but we need pix! looks pricy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Not every legend is a myth, some are flesh and blood. Some legends walk among us, but they aren’t born, they’re built. Legends are made from iron & sweat, mind and muscle, blood and vision and victory. Legends are champions, they grow, they win, they conquer.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

I'll take more when he gets home if I can
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190514_091055_118_1557966324774.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	296.9 KB
ID:	998859   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190515_172619_1557966408555.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	430.1 KB
ID:	998861  
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benocehcap View Post
Last gen of the Carb R1. ALWAYS a good idea! but we need pix! looks pricy!
I sent them
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 06:44 AM
Klaus Von Slowpoke

You'd be buying someone else's problem and an older bike with a scarce parts availability and no aftermarket anymore. If that intrigues you (or at least doesn't scare you), have fun. I gave up on carb'ed bikes 15 years ago.

Do you have to leave so soon? I was just about to poison the tea.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 06:14 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsgesch View Post
You'd be buying someone else's problem and an older bike with a scarce parts availability and no aftermarket anymore. If that intrigues you (or at least doesn't scare you), have fun. I gave up on carb'ed bikes 15 years ago.
Me personally I could not disagree more - parts for the 98 - 01 are everywhere are dirt cheap. Just about everything swaps accept for the upper and rear fairings, headlights and gas tank - none of which you need. Forks and triple from every year (Can't confirm 2015 and up) can fit in that frame - and that's just the start. I have an 03 motor in an 01 frame (Injected but I'd take the card'd motor back in a heart beat). You can pretty much put anything you want from any year bike on the 01 frame. 98-03 motors more or less bolt up direct, if you want the 02 03 you need the harness, gauges, ecu, sensors etc (A 'kart' kit basically) but why would you? Carbs are easy easy to deal with when there's a problem. The FI can be far more of a pain in the ass - especially if someone put parts on the bike. Once you get through all the standard TB adjustments - sync etc, and when that doesn't clear up the problem - now you have to go and look at sensors and software... Total PIA. IF carbs aren't running right, you pull em' - clean em., sync em (If needed) check to see if it's been jetted - check to see if the vacuum slide are OK - If that all checks out then you are good - if not you sort it out and that's it. Carbs all the way. They fuel based on vacuum - they don't need to be told to fuel based on anything. They simple meter the fuel as per the engine's draw. Simple. The only advantage FI has is it's ability change fueling through software - build a new map instead of fiddling with needle design, height and jet sizes. That is most definitely a big advantage BUT!! trouble shooting carbs is far more easy with less to go wrong.

The 01 is easy as can be to work on.. If the bike was intact and just stopped running b/c it's been sitting I'd do it. I'd tell em $1000 and we're good. The 01 carb model has the best low end grunt of them all and still pulls more than most will ever use on top.
Benocehcap likes this.

Makin' Ponies....
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 07:06 PM
My R1 go to warp drive

I agree, carbs are easier to sort out if there's a problem but carbs have problems more often than FI. I would buy that bike in a heart beat if i was the one repairing it, they are great bikes. I had an 01 that i loved. If i had to send it to a shop then i would pass. Shop prices can go up quickly. Besides the crap start, carbs are just as good as FI to me. I have six bikes. R1 (FI), ZX6R (FI), Road Star (carb), YZ250 (carb), SV650 (carb), Ruckus (carb) and i really do not see any real disadvantage of the carbs beside the crappy start.

PCV tuned, Bazzaz QS, Air box mod, BMC Filter, Block off plates, Flashed ECU, -1 Front Sprocket, SpeedoDRD, Spiegler Lines, EBC Extreme Pro pads, Braking SK Rotors, Q3's, Leo Vince Carbon Fiber slip-on W/ Y-Pipe, Black and Gold Euro conversion, 10,000k HID, Brembo MC and clutch perch, Smoke Puig Windscreen, Shogun Frame Sliders, Signal mirrors, Harris rearset, Techtronic auto blipper, EK 3D 520 chain conversion, Ohlins 30mm ctrg & TTX shock, Lightech chain adjuster, CF sbk hugger, TI bolts kit
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 08:00 AM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabotage View Post
I agree, carbs are easier to sort out if there's a problem but carbs have problems more often than FI. I would buy that bike in a heart beat if i was the one repairing it, they are great bikes. I had an 01 that i loved. If i had to send it to a shop then i would pass. Shop prices can go up quickly. Besides the crap start, carbs are just as good as FI to me. I have six bikes. R1 (FI), ZX6R (FI), Road Star (carb), YZ250 (carb), SV650 (carb), Ruckus (carb) and i really do not see any real disadvantage of the carbs beside the crappy start.
Very good point regarding who would be working on it. Indeed if you can't do the work that may be an issue. However when you say crap start that cracks me up. My 02 R1 is infinitely harder to start than my 01. The autochoke on the 02 sucks and it often has to be cranked 2 or 3 times along with playing with the throttle before it kicks. If it had a manual choke this wouldn't happen. I can see how It can be converted to a manual and I think I may just do that. I understand this got better with the 04s but in my opinion, I don't want anything thinking for me - No my choke, not my Windows OS and not even my wife. Well maybe the wife here are there.

Makin' Ponies....
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 09:58 AM
My R1 go to warp drive

Come on bro, a properly working FI system, you turn the key you press start and the thing start and you're good no matter what. When the auto fuel enrichment is done doing its thing, you're about ready to go. Carbs, you have to mess with how much choke to give it if any, how long to leave the choke on for, blip the throttle a few time to make sure the fuel is flowing properly and it won't cut off. With all that, you still have to adjust this procedure depending on the weather. People with carb bikes, the procedure becomes so natural that they dont even realize how crappy the starting procedure is. Get a properly working FI, you're like what have i been doing with my life... Dont let a carb bike sit for some time and try to start it. What a PITA to get it started. I've learned to just spray starter fluid into the intake and hope the jets are still clear. A FI, no freaking problem in any condition or situation, if it aint broken it'll start...

PCV tuned, Bazzaz QS, Air box mod, BMC Filter, Block off plates, Flashed ECU, -1 Front Sprocket, SpeedoDRD, Spiegler Lines, EBC Extreme Pro pads, Braking SK Rotors, Q3's, Leo Vince Carbon Fiber slip-on W/ Y-Pipe, Black and Gold Euro conversion, 10,000k HID, Brembo MC and clutch perch, Smoke Puig Windscreen, Shogun Frame Sliders, Signal mirrors, Harris rearset, Techtronic auto blipper, EK 3D 520 chain conversion, Ohlins 30mm ctrg & TTX shock, Lightech chain adjuster, CF sbk hugger, TI bolts kit
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 05:54 PM
kickin' at the darkness

i would not go back to carburated engines, waste of time really, i'm not that nostalgic

Fuel injection for the win, tuning on the fly is the shit#@$%!

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, LV EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS remove, GYTR air, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc
HINSON Billet bskt, Barnett CF stack, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech adjust, ANNITORI RL, CLEVER WOLF CF tank cover, RIZOMA
grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows GYTR, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK
CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines, Accossato Radial 19x18, Motodynamic
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 07:09 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabotage View Post
Come on bro, a properly working FI system, you turn the key you press start and the thing start and you're good no matter what. When the auto fuel enrichment is done doing its thing, you're about ready to go. Carbs, you have to mess with how much choke to give it if any, how long to leave the choke on for, blip the throttle a few time to make sure the fuel is flowing properly and it won't cut off. With all that, you still have to adjust this procedure depending on the weather. People with carb bikes, the procedure becomes so natural that they dont even realize how crappy the starting procedure is. Get a properly working FI, you're like what have i been doing with my life... Dont let a carb bike sit for some time and try to start it. What a PITA to get it started. I've learned to just spray starter fluid into the intake and hope the jets are still clear. A FI, no freaking problem in any condition or situation, if it aint broken it'll start...
Yeah let an FI system sit and see what happens. Carbs definitely do not have problems more often than FI - they've been around much longer. You've just been lucky. I talk to people who never lived through carb'd bikes - know nothing about carbs and they complain about them - yet these same people can't fix FI either.. SO where does that opinion come from. Only what they know. And when that auto choke which is the same system as a manual - just controlled by water temp which pushes the choke automatically and can fail just with low coolant level - goes south how can you start the bike? Its all nice and great until it ain't. Then you'll wish you had that manual choke. Choke has NOTHING to do with fuel flow at all. And if the bike is running right - you should only need it for about 10 seconds and then its off and go - the rest of your description of choke operation is either wrong by you or the bike is fubar. I've worked on both extensively - EXTENSIVELY. When it comes to choke I take a manual any and every day.

Makin' Ponies....

Last edited by ChR1z; 05-27-2019 at 07:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode