Getting knee down - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Technique & Riding Want to kneescrape? Go faster in corners? Smoother riding? Anything about how to ride goes in here please.

11Likes
  • 1 Post By y32dsm
  • 4 Post By decubitus
  • 2 Post By Masao Furusawa
  • 3 Post By Veshengo
  • 1 Post By andrewstclair

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Getting knee down

Was practicing on my r6 yesterday in parking lot. Had jeans on so a bit hard to move around. It seems in videos and pictures to get knee down you need to have your kneecap about the same level as the crank. Any advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 04:32 PM
I eat my R1

When I started riding, I was on the same page. "knee down" comes naturally when you know how to ride properly. It is outcome, not a purpose. I guess more seat time would show you what I mean. Faster you take corners, you must lean a bike. Then, you get knee down. It is much easier to get knee down when tires are hot (sticky) instead of cold temp in parking lot. Having better tires may also help your goal. hope it helps.
KevinT7 likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Yeah I've got some old powers on there. It just seems my knee is a few feet off the ground. I've looked at pics of guys doing it and it looks ike theyre knee is way lower. Lets say equal to the crank

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 12:35 PM
My R1 eats me.

Trying to get your knee down with jeans? No, please stop. Full leathers with knee sliders. Getting your knee down is not what you should be striving for. Proper cornering technique is the ticket. Your knee will touch down when the time comes. And, the first time it does, it will scare the sh*t out of you.
iamzombie, emilson, MrSix4 and 1 others like this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 02:14 PM
OUR12!

ditch the jeans
counter steer more.

it could be the surface your on as well.. if you don't feel comfortable (bumps, gravel) find a new spot.

I broke my knee down cherry, recently, at the track. You may want to do that .. and it will happen naturally.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 12:33 PM
The Doctor's Assistant

You're asking for a fractured patella. Leather pants with knee sliders please.

You can actually touch your knee down doing figure 8s around cones in a parking lot at a low speed. You need to have enough momentum to keep you upright at the angle needed to touch your knee though. Just go around a cone in a parking lot with decent asphalt (no gravel) , increase your speed which will make your circle wider so you compensate by countersteering/leaning more. Just don't add speed and lean at the same time, that is a recipe for disaster.
KevinT7 and Aikuken like this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 03:41 AM
My R1 eats me.

Seriously take it to the track.
No I am not being a pearl clutching safety douche when I say this.
First up on the track you will be going quicker without surprises (OK That is a bit of a safety element)
Next you will be in a controlled environment so can lower your tire pressure (More surface area is more grip)
Third you will have a better grippier surface, so between the tires and the surface you will be going faster and having no grip issues.
Forth, People to follow and watch, or even ask (Though most people will say it shouldn’t be your priority because they are likely to be chasing time not style)
After a couple of track days I had my first clip, by the time the day was out I was dragging all the way through corners (And gaining time all over the place)
On my next track day I had the knee down before the first session was over
Now, after I get a few sessions in to get warmed up, I will drag a knee on turn one first lap out, or on my cooldown lap after the flag.
After that you may want to go back to the street, but you will be going back with a fuller toolkit.
PS this was all done on an 05 R6 With Micheline Road 5s, so no special rubber.
iamzombie, Hooli and Aikuken like this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 04:54 AM
My R1 eats me.

Hi Chris, for myself touching my knee down does not give me any more corner speed, only if your pushing the front that hard and you use your knee to bring it back up as number 93 does is it nessesary.It is more about getting your whole upper torso over to the inside to assist in holding the bike at lean angles like a ballast weight especially on exit drive to counter the bike wanting to stand up and run you wide.As well set up as a bike can be, your own body weight is also part of the equation in achieving maximum corner speed,its quite pyhsical and is why top level riders are supremely fit.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 12:10 AM
I eat my R1

Garage
go do a track riding school. they will teach you technique and after a little bit you get faster and faster and then all of a sudden your knee is down without trying. if you focus on your form the rest just flows.
Veshengo likes this.

09 R1 black/gold SOLD

2015 R1M 007
2016 R1 Track
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Thanks for the advice
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

I have 8 year old powers with 2000 mi on them. I guess it would be a good idea to change tires even though they have low miles
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:29 PM
An R1 kinda day!

Garage
I'm on my 3rd set of the Power RS's. Not sure what the lean angle is but I regularly drag my curb feelers. Hope this helps.

"Learn all you can today. Tomorrow you may need to know it!" ...(Buttafewcoe)
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 06:46 PM
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfr6chris View Post
I have 8 year old powers with 2000 mi on them. I guess it would be a good idea to change tires even though they have low miles
8 years old???
Wow amazing they are not starting to crack.
Yeah some new hoops could be in order.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM
Vroom

I was the same way when I first started riding sportbikes 15 years ago. I thought I was Valentino Rossi of the streets or something, ALWAYS trying to stick my knee out every corner thinking I would touch down and drag After totalling 2 bikes I finally took my butt to track and learned the basics in cornering. Not gonna lie though my first 2 track days were horrible!! Looking back at pics it really showed my bad body position, my shoulder wasn't low enough I was scooted towards the front of the bike and yes trying sooo hard to stick my knee out LOL

Finally I think it was my 3rd track day and some more saddle time, I was more focused on picking up speed and having faster lap time. Getting my knee down did not even cross my mind that day, but by my third session on turn 2 BAM knee touched down with no effort, I can still remember it like it was yesterday. I literally had to shorten that session cause I was so happy and wanted to celebrate

Well long story short... Just get as much saddle time as you can, invest in some good tires, invest in some leathers, consider trackday and go from there. Your time will come and youll be dragging knee in no time.

hahaha sorry for the long story time. this is what happens when you have too much time in your hand at work lol

Hit the apex
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:42 PM
Living my Best Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by decubitus View Post
Trying to get your knee down with jeans? No, please stop. Full leathers with knee sliders. Getting your knee down is not what you should be striving for. Proper cornering technique is the ticket. Your knee will touch down when the time comes. And, the first time it does, it will scare the sh*t out of you.
No lies detected. Man I jerked my leg up so fast. I though I was crashing or something. Great moment though.

OP, get to the track and get some seat time. It'll come. Parking lot and jeans is a terrible idea.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old Today, 11:43 AM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfr6chris View Post
Do you even ride, bro?
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old Today, 01:43 PM
My R1 eats me.

All have offered great advice..don't force it..it'll come with good equipment and good technique although I agree it shouldn't necessarily be the goal. Though I've been riding street bikes since the late 80's, I first started doing track days/schools with my first R1 (99-first gen-second year--VIR, Road Atlanta, Daytona etc.) and never got my knee down (yeah yeah pathetic I know) but nor was I trying to. I did improve my riding a lot though. Following Team Hammer's instuctors and the then Valvolene Suzuki Supersport Team riders who often doubled as instructors or track day group leaders definitely helped (of course they were just loafing along on their cell phones while I was doing everything I could to even try to keep up!!) One time at Road Atlanta (Summer 2000) they had Thomas Stevens (Factory Ducati rider!) guest riding and sitting in on classes during their track school and out on the track he came along and tapped his hand on his bikes tail for me to follow along for a few laps--How Kool was that!!! I was pushing as hard as I dared and yes he was just putting along but it helped my speed...then he was GONE!!! pretty humbling....the point is knee down will come

Then it happened for me..not at the track, but on the Blue Ridge Parkway heading back down from Mt. Mitchell Park. I wasn't expecting that but it just happened and it was great! Heading up the parkway from Asheville the right lane is the outside lane so on left turns if you go down you either hit Armco Barrier, wood fences, little rock walls, or go off the cliff and on right turns you'll slide into oncoming traffic going back down. But coming down the parkway heading back into Asheville the right lane is the inside lane and on right turns if you go down you'll both potentially slide into oncoming traffic going up or go into fences, woods, off a cliff etc. but left turns there is no oncoming traffic or cliffs etc. Some lefts there isn't a lot of run off but on some there is a fair amount of run off and grassy areas. It was one of those perfect sunny and dry Carolina days, blue skies, cool air but pavement still warm and smooth pavement in good shape and I was in a rhythm coming back down at a decent but safe speed and up ahead was a left sweeping turn with run off space and I just laid her on her side and just as I was coming back on light throttle to settle the bike in the turn BAM! my knee was down through the turn! (yes just jeans and long underwear) I didn't expect it and it was a little bit of a surprise but when everything is right it'll just happen.

By the time I got back home to Charlotte my face literally hurt from having a big shit eating grin all the way home!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode