06 R1 - options for performance improvement? - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
04-06 Performance Group Post your R1 performance bike builds for 04-06 model years

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kevap
  • 1 Post By KBacon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

06 R1 - performance improvement?

Gents,
Picked up an 06 recently, as I crashed my 01 last year and got rid of my 2012 the year before that. I figured I should try a model I haven't had before.

It was a really decent price, and it had aftermarket Ohlins forks and shock. It has almost 29,000 miles on it (still reasonably young) but I'm scratching my head a bit as I was expecting it to have a bit more power than it does? I've gotta rev the tits off it to really get it to go?

Is this just what this model does? Is all it's power top-end?

Does anyone have any performance suggestions? I've got a PCV + Autotune on the way, but googling gives me the general consensus I can get +4% on average from a PCV and that's it?

Anyone have any other suggestions on where I can find some more performance? I'm mainly looking for torque driving out of corners in low-mid range RPM street riding. I've had the old girl on boil on the street (11-13K RPM), but I'm destroying my tyres and really having to be mindful of throttle control. Is there a way to get more torque in the mid range out of the old girl, or is this just how the engine is?

Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.

Last edited by TwentySixRed; 03-20-2019 at 09:48 PM. Reason: shorter title easier to read
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 10:02 PM
I eat my R1

i do believe that is the way the 04-06, 07-08 R1 is - mainly top-end delivery. i've got both engines, and that's my experience (however, i must say that i'm not disappointed with the low-end of my machines, but i will attest to them really pouring on the power in the high rpms). if you want a more even power curve, buy a crossplane (but i wouldn't).
give us more info on other mods done - exhaust/intake?
lastly, i'm pretty sure i know what you mean, but in the same post, you are saying it doesn't have enough power for you, but then say it's eating up the tire and you gotta be careful with the throttle...
ps: you can just ride it like a squid rides his gixxer 600, keeping it in 1st gear all through town..!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 04:27 AM
Super Duper Moderator

Garage
Aftermarket full exhaust system boosts hp, factory pro velocity stacks helps midrange, aftermarket air filter boosts hp. Sprocket changes helps low & midrange. Removing any unnecessary weight.

Most of all... a custom dyno tune.
TwentySixRed likes this.

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
TEAM: SO SCARED NO LEAN

Greenstreak quote from Barber... "Woah... I have a log in my ass!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Godspeed to my fallen brothers - elviswarrior, Gawarrior, Vman1300
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghetto_d View Post
i do believe that is the way the 04-06, 07-08 R1 is - mainly top-end delivery. i've got both engines, and that's my experience (however, i must say that i'm not disappointed with the low-end of my machines, but i will attest to them really pouring on the power in the high rpms). if you want a more even power curve, buy a crossplane (but i wouldn't).
give us more info on other mods done - exhaust/intake?
lastly, i'm pretty sure i know what you mean, but in the same post, you are saying it doesn't have enough power for you, but then say it's eating up the tire and you gotta be careful with the throttle...
ps: you can just ride it like a squid rides his gixxer 600, keeping it in 1st gear all through town..!
Prior to this, I owned a 2012 (FT ECU flashtune), and a 2001 (Ivans jet kit + full Akra exhaust). I've really enjoyed both of them, especially the 2012. At the moment my 2006 has a BMC air filter, Termignoni slip-ons, de-catted, -1 front sprocket. I've got a PC-V and Autotune on the way.

To clarify my comment about power & throttle control & eating tyres, yeah I should have written that better. It's not explained well.

What I meant to say was, in order to have the sort of torque on tap I guess I'm used to, I gotta have it at high revs. And this thing, wow, it likes to rev! When it's up >9K it'll light up the rear on corner exit if I'm not careful with the throttle, hence the throttle control. But, I'm still trying to figure this out - I found with my 2001 I could get out of the hole quicker at lower RPM. The 2012 I can totally understand: traction control and that fat torque does wonders - but I'd have thought I'd have the same, if not more torque available at mid range RPMs than my 2001? My 'arm feel' (how hard the bike pulls) is that I could access more torque from my 2001 in the mid range without spinning my rear tyre... I'd prefer not to be squidding the bike at screaming revs when I want to explode off the line / out of corners.

Anyway, I was just seeing what suggestions there are to get more low-mid torque out of this old girl.

Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 10:32 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwentySixRed View Post
Prior to this, I owned a 2012 (FT ECU flashtune), and a 2001 (Ivans jet kit + full Akra exhaust). I've really enjoyed both of them, especially the 2012. At the moment my 2006 has a BMC air filter, Termignoni slip-ons, de-catted, -1 front sprocket. I've got a PC-V and Autotune on the way.

To clarify my comment about power & throttle control & eating tyres, yeah I should have written that better. It's not explained well.

What I meant to say was, in order to have the sort of torque on tap I guess I'm used to, I gotta have it at high revs. And this thing, wow, it likes to rev! When it's up >9K it'll light up the rear on corner exit if I'm not careful with the throttle, hence the throttle control. But, I'm still trying to figure this out - I found with my 2001 I could get out of the hole quicker at lower RPM. The 2012 I can totally understand: traction control and that fat torque does wonders - but I'd have thought I'd have the same, if not more torque available at mid range RPMs than my 2001? My 'arm feel' (how hard the bike pulls) is that I could access more torque from my 2001 in the mid range without spinning my rear tyre... I'd prefer not to be squidding the bike at screaming revs when I want to explode off the line / out of corners.

Anyway, I was just seeing what suggestions there are to get more low-mid torque out of this old girl.
i gotcha...
i cannot chime in on gens earlier than the 04-06. hopefully some others will chime in.
i don't think you'll really achieve the lower-range power that you are looking for in the 06 though, not without taking away from the hi-end. things like velocity stacks can make an improvement in one area, but tend to hinder another area. it's a game of give and take. that is why the constantly (self) adjusting stacks in the 07-08 gen were such a remarkable leap in tech. (however the 07-08 has, again, more of a top-end only style engine). i believe yamaha went to the crossplane thereafter primarily for a more user-friendly power curve. i won't go on much further about subsequent gens, cause i'll probably offend some people around here... to each their own, i suppose.
and hey - maybe you are remembering your early R1 differently than it really was..? we are certainly capable of such things!
you are on the right path though, with the mods. i always do full exhaust replacements, but it is certainly more expensive. at least you are addressing the cat. are you gonna pull the AIS off? would be a good time to change out the plugs.
keep us posted on the post-tune results!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 05:41 AM
Nevermore

The Pcv with a proper map will do wonders. I had a generic map on mine and the bike was a complete dog below 5k. After a custom tune it with was a completely different animal.

I also recommend upgrading to a 190/55 rear tire to get more rubber when leaned over. When doing so go +1 on the rear gearing as well.

05 Raven R1
Mods: BST wheels, Braketech axis iron rotors, Full Termi exhaust, BCM race filter, Factory Pro Stacks, PCIII usb w/ dyno tune, Ohlins damper & YA343 shock, Pazzo levers, Puig DB windscreen, -1 +1 gearing, Spiegler SS brake lines, speedo healer, Roth block off plates, A lot of Pro bolt Ti bits, Engine Ice coolant, GYTR cowl, 1CarbonTech CF tank panels, heat shield, hugger & chain guard, MDI CF, Moto frame sliders, Rizoma Graffio & Watsen signals, Vortex spools.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 03:42 PM
Is this thing ON???

I went from stock w/ Yosh exhaust and had very little low end and pulled like a freight train over 8k rpm.. like somebody flipped a switch at 8k

The I went to graves velocity stacks & PCV, & BMC Race filter w/ gutted cat... and saw a slight improvement in low/mid range...

then found a set of Factory Pro velocity stacks and w/ Akro mid pipe added.. and saw a very nice improvement in low/mid range.. Starts pulling hard at about 5-6k and still pulls hard all the way to redline
bacchus40 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode