CSF Works 2.0 radiator with LeoVince full system issues - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
09-14 Performance Group Post your R1 performance bike builds for 09-14 model years

33Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

CSF Works 2.0 radiator with LeoVince full system issues

Continuing this from Aaron’s build thread as I dont want to derail it.

Some info to start; 2014 R1, LeoVince 8180 Factory Evo II full system, CSF Works 2.0 radiator.

Issue; radiator sits too far forward due to LV collector pipes, specifically cylinder #’s 2 and 3. This is causing the plastics to fit incorrectly and the tire to contact the radiator.

Overall

Radiator to collector

Outside of collector #2 is approximately 7.5” from the engine block measured from beside the oil filter.

Shiny spot in center of rock guard is from tire contact

The radiator needs to swing rearward approximately 0.5” to use the included CSF bracket. This would take approximately 0.75” more space at the bottom of the radiator. So if your collector tubes measure 6.75” or less from the block to the outside of the collector, you should be fairly safe.
APO2112 and Banky like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 03:18 PM
I eat my R1

Could the radiator be moved up by slotting/modifying the mounting brackets?
APO2112 likes this.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 03:31 PM
I eat my R1

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx7marsh View Post
Could the radiator be moved up by slotting/modifying the mounting brackets?
Making it work after spending $950 shouldn’t even be a thought.
Kevap, bacchus40, Banky and 1 others like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“If you are always pushing at the limit you get a better feeling with the bike and give better information to the mechanics,” he says. “If I crashed 27 times, I was very close to crashing maybe 50 times! That gives me a feeling with the bike – you understand many things, what crashes you can save and so on.”-MM93

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

I thought about that, there’s a bit of slack to begin with in the mount bushings. However, the amount that I’d have to move the radiator to get enough clearance is about 0.75” to 1” at the bottom going rearward. Lifting the radiator won’t buy much space and it would still leave the plastics not fitting correctly.

Reality is I need a different full system to make this radiator work.

CSF told me they tested the 2.0 with Graves headers. I’ve seen Akrapovic headers used and everything barely cleared. I think Termignoni headers may work and possibly Arrow. What I know for sure is LeoVince won’t work with my setup.
APO2112 likes this.

post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 03:59 PM
I eat my R1

That's not good. You would hope that they would provide a list of headers that work, or at least state the maximum distance the headers can be from the engine.
APO2112 and NoExpert like this.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ_R1 View Post
That's not good. You would hope that they would provide a list of headers that work, or at least state the maximum distance the headers can be from the engine.
There you go again, being all logical and such.

More bits of info, the tire rub is when there is about 0.75” to 0.5” of travel left on the stock forks, so nearly bottomed out. The fork tubes are flush with the top triple clamp, it has not been lowered. The fork and shock springs have been changed for my weight and been properly tuned. The rear has been raised approximately 14mm over stock height. I’m running stock size tires on stock wheels. The bike is a daily driver Monday through Friday.
APO2112 and Banky like this.

post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 04:41 PM
kickin' at the darkness

yep, I figured that would touch.. that's no Bueno.. i'll take some measurements.
APO2112 and NoExpert like this.

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, LV EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS remove, GYTR air, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc
HINSON Billet bskt, Barnett CF stack, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech adjust, ANNITORI RL, CLEVER WOLF CF tank cover, RIZOMA
grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows GYTR, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK
CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines, Accossato Radial 19x18, Motodynamic
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 05:12 PM
kickin' at the darkness

okay, so this is why I asked about your oil filter swaps as it looked to me the 2nd cylinder pipe would really stick
out on a Leo Vince EVOII system. That is not a true race header design, at least not when compared to Arrows

Hence why I absolutely need to remove header pipe 1 & 2 for oil filter swaps, the 2nd is very snug up against the engine.

1st of all, I cant possibly fit a measuring tape between the 1s and 2nd pipes to measure up against the block, yes
they are that close together, sliding it down between the two and the slightly curved tape measure rubs!! lol

So I have to place it at similar height to the middle of the oil filter but on the outside beside 1st cylinder.

you can see there is definitely more clearance, the 2nd pipe actually fits closer to the block than the 1st.
the 1st is just shy of 6.5 inches flat, actually a little less than.. and if you were to lower the tape to the
bottom portion of the block, right up against the actual block (it tapers down somewhat) you can see the
2nd pipe sits about 6 & 3/4 inches. Its important to note the above taper causes the distance to be greater
than if measured right beside the filter. In reality when you look at the pipes direct from the side you cant
even see the 2nd pipe as it sits well behind the 1st.. This leads me to believe the 2nd pipe when measured
right at filter level is maybe 6.25 inches at the furthest point out!!??? I would have to cut the metal end
of the measure tape to fit it in there so I wont

This 2nd shot is very deceiving, read above as the bottom of the engine sits further back than it does at filter level
the tape on this pic sits at same level as the weld on 1st pipe, lower by a fair bit.. reference above.

now, to allow for a bit of a different comparison, place your measure tape butted right up against the oil
filter, as most filters on this bike are the exact same height, heck I use the same filter size on my Raider

to give you a better idea of what extra clearance I have, you can just see tape flush with filter top

the 2nd pipe sits about 3 & 1/4 inches at its furthest point. the 1st would be about 3.75" or less but
of course at the point it sits the radiator is already tapered inward, allowing for a little more clearance I suspect.

other shots from hijacked thread

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171112_165649.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	960161   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171112_165757.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	407.1 KB
ID:	960169   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171112_172948.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	960177   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171112_173001.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	960185   Click image for larger version

Name:	20171111_210919.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	655.4 KB
ID:	960193  

Name:	20171111_211241.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	960201  

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, LV EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS remove, GYTR air, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc
HINSON Billet bskt, Barnett CF stack, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech adjust, ANNITORI RL, CLEVER WOLF CF tank cover, RIZOMA
grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows GYTR, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK

Last edited by bacchus40; 11-13-2017 at 09:35 PM.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Good info. I measured from the block to the forward edge of the pipe, not from the filter mount surface. The filter info was just to reference a point on the block. I’ll try to get some more measurements tomorrow to get it more precise.

Seems we can add Arrow to the fit list based on the current measurements.
bacchus40 and Banky like this.

post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 05:53 PM
kickin' at the darkness

yes those are the 1st set of pics.. but then I realized it doesn't matter what filter youre running
as they're all same height by a mm or two. just trying to help you out

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExpert View Post

Seems we can add Arrow to the fit list based on the current measurements.
woohoo!! I do remember thinking of this when I picked up my exhaust as I believe they state
in the description they're meant to provide a bit more clearance for aftermarket rads.

LV had gone out of business when I decided to buy so it was an easy choice.

if it helps you can get the Arrow header/midpipe system on its own and the diameter out of the y-pipe
is designed to fit ALL aftermarket and oem cans!! I kept my LV evoII Carbon fiber cans

I will be having mine ceramic coated inside and out this winter so I don't mind SS, yes the bung fits a bosch O2
AND as can be seen above there is enough clearance so you don't rub the frame upon use.

YZF R1 2009-2014 Stainless Steel 71398MI, Arrow Racing
Thanks Biohazard Cycles!

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	142813-arrow-racing-header-for-yamaha-yzf-r1-2009-2014-stainless-steel-71398mi_500.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	960209  
NoExpert likes this.

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

Last edited by bacchus40; 11-12-2017 at 06:40 PM.
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

I’ve looked at that setup, problem is I don’t have the usual slip on setup. The LV full system is made different with the exception of the cans. The Y pipe outlets on the full system measure 54mm, whereas slip ons are 45mm, same as stock. So I’m in for a new full system it looks like. Or ditch the radiator and go back to stock.

post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 07:06 AM
Just happy to be here...

Garage
Quote:
I’ve looked at that setup, problem is I don’t have the usual slip on setup. The LV full system is made different with the exception of the cans. The Y pipe outlets on the full system measure 54mm, whereas slip ons are 45mm, same as stock. So I’m in for a new full system it looks like. Or ditch the radiator and go back to stock.
To be honest...... For you, I'd ditch it and get an Add On Rad. It would be almost as good, and since your a DD that also tracks it would solve any overheating issues you may run into.

The reason I got that Rad for @APO2112 is because he is HOPING to build the engine one day. This was a "better do it now" kinda thing.

I have the correct exhuast (Akra Evo 2 Full TI) but I didn't even want the Radiator.... I will not build this motor. Not anytime in the near future at least.

I don't have ANY parts that I paid top dollar for, and all of my super trick parts, I got used or at a HELL of a discount. I will get an Add on next spring probably.
APO2112 likes this.

@trash_panda_338 follow me on instagram

post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 11:17 AM
kickin' at the darkness

Quote:
bummer. I was running a 3/4 Leo Vince setup prior to this and I wanted to keep the cans.

I still have the leo y-pipe but i'll try n' sell that off. i'm very happy with the setup and can eve
get Graves link slip-ons down the line if I want 'em. The midpipe on the Arrow is massive compared
to oem or any other exhaust ive seen so its a keeper.

i'm doing cams / headwork this year and already have all the other goodies to make decent gains.
let me know what you decide to do as I can probably take that CSF WORKS 2.0 Rad off your hands.

it looks like my setup will work with it, post the other measurement for shits n' giggles please

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

I’d need race bodywork with an add-on, which isn’t exactly street friendly. So I’d have to install and remove it for track duty, which doesn’t sound very fun.

Right now I’m going to look into different full systems then decide in a few weeks. I have a few options that aren’t deal killers, so while a setback, not the end of the world.

post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 03:09 PM
kickin' at the darkness

yeh I think your best solution is to get a proper race designed header / full system

as I mentioned I used to think it a pita to do oil changes until I figured out its only 3 springs on the Arrow system and its done.
NoExpert likes this.

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Have a fan cooling the bike so I can get the measurements. Need to do some things around the house today as well, wife gets home tomorrow.
APO2112 likes this.

post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 04:02 PM
I eat my R1

Garage
Gotta Graves Low Mount heading this way from California. I’ll get some measurements when it’s all buttoned up.
bacchus40 and NoExpert like this.

“If you are always pushing at the limit you get a better feeling with the bike and give better information to the mechanics,” he says. “If I crashed 27 times, I was very close to crashing maybe 50 times! That gives me a feeling with the bike – you understand many things, what crashes you can save and so on.”-MM93

post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by APO2112 View Post
Gotta Graves Low Mount heading this way from California. I’ll get some measurements when it’s all buttoned up.
Super sweet. They’re tempting, I just don’t know if I could handle the look of the tail.

post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

From the top of the oil filter to the outer edge of the collector, approximately 4.625”

Current bracket

Supplied bracket

Side by side

I feel like we’re collecting some good data for a go/no go header fitment with this radiator. I will say a BIG indicator will be if the supplied bracket fits. That seems to be the minimum required clearance if all the way forward.

Last edited by NoExpert; 11-13-2017 at 05:06 PM.
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 05:38 PM
kickin' at the darkness

ohh geez yeah I kinda figured it had to be OUT THERE!! that is a very big difference between these two and I can
understand why you can pull out your oil filter and there's no way on my setup. That's almost an inch n' a half
difference!! def. at least 1.25" which would be a magic number for required clearance as seen from your pics.

Thank you for posting
NoExpert likes this.

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

Last edited by bacchus40; 11-13-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode