Clutching up wheelies / Engine Death - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Stunters Corner For all the R1 stunters out there.. share your knowledge, talk about it.. those that do not like stunting, please stay away

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jaketheone46
  • 1 Post By andrewstclair

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Clutching up wheelies / Engine Death

How many people have been clutching up their 02 03 forever and have not had damage - and how many have? I don't clutch em - I blew up four crap kwak motors doing that so I just bounce it these days - But I was just curious how tough the 02 03 area on the basket / rods side.

Makin' Ponies....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 01:47 PM
THEONEGTIVR6

Never had to clutch my 02 up she came up really easy. What motors have you blown and why do you think clutching wheelies up caused it??
cyclepsycho06R1 likes this.

04 R1 Gilles rear sets carbon fiber front fender,chain guard ,dash panels and heel guards. Pirelli supercorsa v2s my baby
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 12:40 AM
I eat my R1

Garage
they power up just fine you don't need to clutch it up 99,05,09,15,16 r1's never had an issue
cyclepsycho7 likes this.

09 R1 black/gold SOLD

2015 R1M 007
2016 R1 Track

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 03:59 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketheone46 View Post
Never had to clutch my 02 up she came up really easy. What motors have you blown and why do you think clutching wheelies up caused it??
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewstclair View Post
they power up just fine you don't need to clutch it up 99,05,09,15,16 r1's never had an issue
Same here with my 02, 3,000 rpm's and nail it, front comes right up. My 06 takes a little more rps, 4,000 or more but when it comes up it's hard to control. The 06 has a little engine work done and is sick fast. Of all the bikes I've owned starting in 1977 with a brand new 1977 Kawi KZ-1000 (even before engine mods, was very fast in it's day) my 06 R1 is the fastest bike I've ever owned or ridden.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 08:31 PM
My R1 eats me.

I've never had an issue clutching up a bike. The only thing that I can think of that may have caused engine problems is oil starvation - if you ride at 12 o clock for too long.

I spent most of my youth on one wheel. Never had to replace a clutch or an engine... plenty of fork seals though. People tend to panic when you ride up behind (or pass them) on 1 wheel... it can be hard to land softly when they're busy panic braking in front of you

Last edited by SlipVR46; 12-09-2018 at 08:34 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 02:33 PM
THEONEGTIVR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChR1z View Post
How many people have been clutching up their 02 03 forever and have not had damage - and how many have? I don't clutch em - I blew up four crap kwak motors doing that so I just bounce it these days - But I was just curious how tough the 02 03 area on the basket / rods side.
Are you going to answer my initial response?? What makes you think clutching up blows engines??

04 R1 Gilles rear sets carbon fiber front fender,chain guard ,dash panels and heel guards. Pirelli supercorsa v2s my baby
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 04:34 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketheone46 View Post
Are you going to answer my initial response?? What makes you think clutching up blows engines??
WTF - Chill out dude. Its the holidays people are busy even if you aren't. To answer your question - Because it flat out does... I had one engine specifically spin a bearing when it was clutched, not a moment before - not after and that makes perfect sense because you are loading those rod bearings something fierce when you mash the plates together with such an RPM difference. No doubt whatsoever that it notches up the clutch basket too and its just not necessary on a liter bike. Even my 00 would power up in 3rd - no clutch needed.

Makin' Ponies....

Last edited by ChR1z; 12-26-2018 at 04:39 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 07:52 AM
2016 R1

Garage
Quote:
WTF - Chill out dude. Its the holidays people are busy even if you aren't. To answer your question - Because it flat out does... I had one engine specifically spin a bearing when it was clutched, not a moment before - not after and that makes perfect sense because you are loading those rod bearings something fierce when you mash the plates together with such an RPM difference. No doubt whatsoever that it notches up the clutch basket too and its just not necessary on a liter bike. Even my 00 would power up in 3rd - no clutch needed.

There is also a very small margin of how to do it correctly with the clutch where itís smooth and doesnít load everything in a snapping type of fashion. There are far more ways to do it incorrectly, which is the majority of how people do it when learning. Iíve been doing it for many years across many different bikes and Iíve never had any issues and certainly nothing that ever could have suggested anything close to blowing a motor because of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 08:02 AM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Nope on the clutch . Either oil level was already low or pressure, or bearing was ready to let go anyhow
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-26-2018, 09:14 AM
R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipVR46 View Post
I've never had an issue clutching up a bike. The only thing that I can think of that may have caused engine problems is oil starvation - if you ride at 12 o clock for too long.

I spent most of my youth on one wheel. Never had to replace a clutch or an engine... plenty of fork seals though. People tend to panic when you ride up behind (or pass them) on 1 wheel... it can be hard to land softly when they're busy panic braking in front of you
When I was young (long time ago, LOL) I used to wheelie a lot. If you do it correctly you won't harm the clutch. Even on my old 1977 Kawi KZ-1000 I used to do 1/4 mile runs and major holeshots and never blew the clutch. Those bike had some strong clutches though. As I got older I've tended to use the bike for what it was designed for, going fast in the twisties and aggressive lean angles in the turns. Only wheelie once in a while.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lucky 13 Squadron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode