Yamaha sues Yamoto - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Off Topic Talk All off-topic posts. Music, Sports, Movies, Humor, etc... (No NWS)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
LIFE IS SHORT

Post Yamaha sues Yamoto

YAMAHA MOTOR CORPORATION, U.S.A. FILES TRADEMARK INFRINGEMENT SUIT AGAINST YAMOTO MOTOR CORPORATION AND PATRIOT MOTORCYCLES CORPORATION

YAMAHA SEEKS PERMANENT INJUNCTION AGAINST YAMOTO FOR KNOCKING OFF YAMAHA’S RAPTOR ATVS AND TT-R125 OFF-ROAD MOTORCYCLES

Los Angeles, CA. – Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A. and Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. filed suit yesterday in Los Angeles Federal Court against Yamoto Motor Corporation and Patriot Motorcycles Corporation [Pink Sheets: PMCY] for trademark infringement, trademark dilution, false designation of origin, false advertising, copyright infringement and unfair competition. Yamaha is the original designer, manufacturer and seller of the Raptor™ line of ATVs and TT-R125 off-road motorcycles and seeks a permanent injunction against the Defendants, alleging that they are flooding the marketplace with inferior, copycat products. Yamaha seeks both treble and punitive damages in its Complaint and will ask the Court to compel Defendants to deliver to Yamaha for destruction all products, containers, packages, labels and advertising materials that infringe Yamaha’s trademarks. Yamaha is represented by Robert C. Weiss and Michael A. Tomasulo with the Los Angeles office of Jones Day. Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A., et al. v. Yamoto Motor Corporation, et al., Case No. CV05-7351 RSWL (JTLx).

Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. was founded in 1955, is the second largest manufacturer of motorcycles and ATVs in the world and enjoys an international reputation for selling unique, high-quality products. Based in Cypress, CA, its wholly-owned subsidiary, Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A., distributes motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles, golf carts, outboard engines and water vehicles all under the Yamaha® brand name. Yamaha owns and holds trademark rights in connection with the shape, style and overall appearance of Yamaha’s Raptor™ line of ATVs and its TT-R125 line of off-road motorcycles. Many of Yamaha’s ATVs are manufactured at its plant in Newnan, Georgia.

Yamaha alleges in its Complaint that Yamoto entered the United States market in 2003 by advertising, promoting and offering for sale the Yamoto line of ATVs and off-road motorcycles, which are of lower quality but bear strikingly similar resemblances to Yamaha’s Raptor™ line of ATVs and its TT-R125 line of off-road motorcycles. Yamaha states in its Complaint, for example, that the Yamaha® Raptor™ 50 ATV and the Yamoto 70 ATV are so similar that the poorer quality parts on the Yamoto copy are interchangeable with the parts on the Yamaha®. Yamaha further alleges that Yamoto not only attempted to confuse the public through the adoption of names, logos, colors and appearances that are confusingly similar to Yamaha’s, but also by copying Yamaha’s website, using a web address almost identical to Yamaha’s web address and failing to disclose the Chinese origin of the Yamoto products in violation of United States law. Yamaha claims that the distribution of these products is an obvious and deliberate attempt to trade off of Yamaha’s reputation and goodwill in the industry.

“For over 50 years, Yamaha has invested serious money into researching, developing and promoting its brand of motorcycles and ATVs and can rightfully claim pride in its reputation for quality and innovation,” stated Russell D. Jura, General Counsel for Yamaha Motor Corporation, U.S.A. “Consumers have come to associate the Yamaha brand with superior, reliable products. Yet, the Defendants are trying to undermine and sabotage our hard-earned reputation by deliberately copying our products, from body design and shape to customized logos, in an attempt to confuse the public and sell them inferior products.”

“Yamaha, not Yamoto, holds the appropriate trademark registrations for all of its products,” explained Jura. “Our distributors, wholesalers, retailers and customers know that they can always expect quality from us. Yamoto’s imitation of our products has been fraudulent and deceptive from day one, and this is simply unacceptable to us, and that’s why we will assert our legal rights against anyone knocking off what is rightfully ours.”

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 02:35 PM
Ghostrider Squadron

there not only ones, if you hae ever been to Indy dealer show u will see at least 5 or 6 lorean, chinese knockoffs of honda, yamis, kawis and suzkis

R.I.P K_FleXXX June 15, 2006

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 Turbo Hayabusa Streetbike Shootout Bike. Velocity Racing Turbo
2004 YAMAHA R1 extended arm, schnitz progressive controller 217 r.w.h.p.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 02:41 PM
My bikes keep me sane.

Send a message via Yahoo to hooligan_r1
Judging by the pictures, there's quite a bit of quality difference.

That 150PY thing (or should it be renamed 1C0PY) looks like quite a POS.

Four wheels transport the body. Two wheels transport the soul.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 02:51 PM
Beware of Subaru Outbacks!

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 04:45 PM
Power wheelies-R-us

Send a message via Yahoo to C5-R1
Quote:
Originally posted by hooligan_r1
Judging by the pictures, there's quite a bit of quality difference.

That 150PY thing (or should it be renamed 1C0PY) looks like quite a POS.

I'd be scared to ride the POS.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 05:40 PM
I eat my R1

The lasy new bike show I went there were some Korean made SV-650s. The saleswoman said they make lots of the SV-650 parts for Suzuki. The ones they were selling looked like the first generation SV.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 07:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by C5-R1
I'd be scared to ride the POS.

I wouldn't, but then a again I might have a small case of retardation.......
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2006, 02:33 PM
Statistical Outlier...

Send a message via AIM to bohem3006
clearly it's a totally different machine, look, the front brake line runs inside the Yamaha forks, and outside the Yamoto forks....additionally the exhaust runs out the left fo the Yamaha and the right of the POS I mean Yamoto

Sig Courtesy of SpeedSoldier

-Adam Zimmerman 9/24/05

Riding season there we go...

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 07:45 AM
Born on 2 Wheels

I dont really see the resemelence besides the colors. Everything is a different shape, the logo really doesnt look anything like Yamaha's logo except that its a circle. No offence Yamaha but this wasnt the bike to target. Id have to see the quad.

Now if you wanted to target a company get the rest of the big 4 (look at the shape of the 4 wheelers after the raptor was introduced, the next year they all had one that looked like it)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 08:22 AM
Stay Fly 3-6Mafia

Send a message via Yahoo to MelloR1
Well the deal is would you ride a knock-off and trust it will have the same quality? Nah no way. The quality assurance is pretty much 0 in China plus it has been speculated the China based manufacturers outsource through toy manufacturers to put together the scooters, knock of MX bikes, and other stuff. By doing this the quality of build even the metals used are very very poor grade stuff but cheap to manufacture. This is also a huge issue that has hurt the minimoto racing scene. People buy the crap sold at grocery stores thinking they are of the same quality as the Euro made machines but at 3 times less and they are not. Italian companies such as Blata, DM, and Polini are going after these junk manufacters and sellers as well. I hope Yamaha does win the battle.

Those skilled at uncommon maneuvers are as endless as the heavens and earth, and as inexhaustible as the rivers and seas.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 08:29 AM
I eat my R1

They should be working on the lag issue and not this........ bastids....

|
|
|
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 08:34 AM
Team infractions runner up.

It's 2 years old ass thread!!!!! So old that even dinosaure Mkinla have post in it!!! Why did you bump such a boring thread??????

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 08:37 AM
Stay Fly 3-6Mafia

Send a message via Yahoo to MelloR1
Oh damnn sure is ..

Those skilled at uncommon maneuvers are as endless as the heavens and earth, and as inexhaustible as the rivers and seas.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2007, 12:11 PM
Super Moderater

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkinla View Post
I wouldn't, but then a again I might have a small case of retardation.......

Australian edtion

USA edtion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode