Captive Wheel Spacers? - Page 2 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Yamaha YZF-R1 - R1M General Discussion General discussion area specific to the 2015 Yamaha R1M model. Please post all YZF-R1 R1M related topics in this section.

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Δt → 0 ⇒ v̅ → |v̅| <Google it

Garage
The Fast Frank seem to be the best price from Superbikes Unlimited from what I have found so far

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

COX radiator guard (Gold) | LighTech swingarm spools (Black) | Stompgrip's (Clear) | TST Industries Fender Eliminator | Woodcraft Frame Sliders | Lightech Axle Sliders | BMC Street Filter | Flux Capacitor
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 05:53 PM
tHE GODFATHER

Send a message via AIM to SpidermanSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanks View Post
ouch!!! 120. bucks for four pieces of aluminum... just like my c-pap filters over priced in my eyes.
Here is the low down on wheel spacers..

We at Graves use 7075 T6 billet aluminum and then finish in black anodize.This compared to 6061 costs 3x more if you use a Chinese grade 7075 and 4x more if you use a USA made 7075 (which is way better and we do use). General reading will get you at an average of 7075 being about 80% stronger then most 6061 choices.

What happens when you use a softer metal is the spacer will crush on to the bearing. Over time the wheels lock up. I've seen common fixes to this by continuing to use softer metals and making the holes bigger which leads to failure in other places. Your wheels axles do not align correctly becoming a side loading time bomb and a setup nightmare.

These products in 7075 have been a staple in our race programs for years. They are tested on our race bikes, moved into consumer production and also sold through Graves Racing Services on turn key customer race bikes. I personally wouldn't trust my $25K plus bikes let alone see our company rubber stamp a sub par product just because it's cheaper but not something we'd use.. Just my .02 cents on the matter that I have a pretty good handle on...
Up-N-Runnin and Yautja like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/
/

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN

Twitter:
/

Instagram:
/

KILO 3483 : fastblueR1 : K_FleXXX : GLENN "ELVIS" : Gawarrior : Vman1300 : Bandrews
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Δt → 0 ⇒ v̅ → |v̅| <Google it

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpidermanSS View Post
Here is the low down on wheel spacers..

We at Graves use 7075 T6 billet aluminum and then finish in black anodize.This compared to 6061 costs 3x more if you use a Chinese grade 7075 and 4x more if you use a USA made 7075 (which is way better and we do use). General reading will get you at an average of 7075 being about 80% stronger then most 6061 choices.

What happens when you use a softer metal is the spacer will crush on to the bearing. Over time the wheels lock up. I've seen common fixes to this by continuing to use softer metals and making the holes bigger which leads to failure in other places. Your wheels axles do not align correctly becoming a side loading time bomb and a setup nightmare.

These products in 7075 have been a staple in our race programs for years. They are tested on our race bikes, moved into consumer production and also sold through Graves Racing Services on turn key customer race bikes. I personally wouldn't trust my $25K plus bikes let alone see our company rubber stamp a sub par product just because it's cheaper but not something we'd use.. Just my .02 cents on the matter that I have a pretty good handle on...
Thank you SpidermanSS!!! You just answered my question and concerns

COX radiator guard (Gold) | LighTech swingarm spools (Black) | Stompgrip's (Clear) | TST Industries Fender Eliminator | Woodcraft Frame Sliders | Lightech Axle Sliders | BMC Street Filter | Flux Capacitor

post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 06:28 PM
tHE GODFATHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossPlainCrazy View Post
Thank you SpidermanSS!!! You just answered my question and concerns
You are welcome.. If you plan to shop on Street Bike Parts`Sportbike Exhausts`Yamaha R1`R6 Parts`Suzuki GSXR Parts`Honda CBR Parts`Motorcycle Race Parts`Yamaha Racing` Dynojet Power Commander` use coupon code : spacer

In the coupon section at checkout (type it in and apply) for a discount. Have a great night.

/
/
/

Twitter:
/

Instagram:
/

KILO 3483 : fastblueR1 : K_FleXXX : GLENN "ELVIS" : Gawarrior : Vman1300 : Bandrews
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 08:49 PM
Der Kommisar

Captive wheel spacers... Is that similar to something like this?
Graves Motorsports Rear Axle Alignment Tool R1 R6

2009 Yamaha R1

(My Web Design Company)
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-27-2016, 03:02 AM
Super Duper Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalSky View Post
Captive wheel spacers... Is that similar to something like this?

Graves Motorsports Rear Axle Alignment Tool R1 R6
NO!

It's this... Graves Motorsports R1 WORKS Captive Front Wheel Spacer Kit

and this... Graves Motorsports R1 WORKS Captive Rear Wheel Spacer Kit
SpidermanSS likes this.

TEAM: SO SCARED NO LEAN

Greenstreak quote from Barber... "Woah... I have a log in my ass!"

Godspeed to my fallen brothers - elviswarrior, Gawarrior, Vman1300

post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 03:41 PM
I eat my R1

spacer

Quote:
You are welcome.. If you plan to shop on Street Bike Parts`Sportbike Exhausts`Yamaha R1`R6 Parts`Suzuki GSXR Parts`Honda CBR Parts`Motorcycle Race Parts`Yamaha Racing` Dynojet Power Commander` use coupon code : spacer

In the coupon section at checkout (type it in and apply) for a discount. Have a great night.
Coupon Code isn't working....

You hear that?
That's an R1 son....
:
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 10:31 AM
tHE GODFATHER

I just refreshed the coupon it shows active. It's case sensitive so make sure it's all lower case and you should be fine Thanks!

/
/
/

Twitter:
/

Instagram:
/

post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 01:38 PM
Super Duper Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanks View Post
Coupon Code isn't working....
Just tried it and it works for me. I'm sure whatever Spidy did allowed it to work now.

TEAM: SO SCARED NO LEAN

Greenstreak quote from Barber... "Woah... I have a log in my ass!"

Godspeed to my fallen brothers - elviswarrior, Gawarrior, Vman1300

post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 05:00 PM
tHE GODFATHER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevap View Post
Just tried it and it works for me. I'm sure whatever Spidy did allowed it to work now.
It was a 7 day code. I remade it for a month. Hope my detail on the product were informative

Thx,,,

/
/
/

Twitter:
/

Instagram:
/

post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 06:59 PM
kickin' at the darkness

revisiting a recent thread, you guys made it easy as i've been wanting these suckers for my 09 R1.. Please see pm @SpidermanSS

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, LV EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS remove, GYTR air, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc
HINSON Billet bskt, Barnett CF stack, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech adjust, ANNITORI RL, CLEVER WOLF CF tank cover, RIZOMA
grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows GYTR, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK
CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines, Accossato Radial 19x18, Motodynamic
post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 10:47 AM
tHE GODFATHER

We never put 09-13 sets into production bacchus .. sorry

/
/
/

Twitter:
/

Instagram:
/

post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 01:19 PM
Unacceptable

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossPlainCrazy View Post
The Fast Frank seem to be the best price from Superbikes Unlimited from what I have found so far
Fast Frank spacers rock. Their chamfered sides eliminate the possibility of the edges catching on the fork or swingarm and make wheel installation so easy, it's almost like cheating. A simple detail that other manufacturers might be wise to take a look at, and possibly incorporate into their own spacer designs.
post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 10:10 PM
kickin' at the darkness

Quote:
We never put 09-13 sets into production bacchus .. sorry
i figured as much, thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooli View Post
Fast Frank spacers rock. Their chamfered sides eliminate the possibility of the edges catching on the fork or swingarm and make wheel installation so easy, it's almost like cheating. A simple detail that other manufacturers might be wise to take a look at, and possibly incorporate into their own spacer designs.
thanks for mentioning, they do manufacture 'em for my model R1.. i need these fvckers, by far my biggest pet peeve as i pile 'em miles on and tire changes are a PITA.

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, LV EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS remove, GYTR air, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc
HINSON Billet bskt, Barnett CF stack, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech adjust, ANNITORI RL, CLEVER WOLF CF tank cover, RIZOMA
grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows GYTR, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK
CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines, Accossato Radial 19x18, Motodynamic

Last edited by bacchus40; 02-10-2017 at 10:29 PM.
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-11-2017, 10:04 AM
Klaus Von Slowpoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrskunk View Post
I have Fast frank for front and rear.

my only complaint is you have to take them out to balance tires.
Why them out? They should have no effect on tire balance. Another advantage to captive spacers. Have never seen them removed on tire changes at the track...

Do you have to leave so soon? I was just about to poison the tea.
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 05:05 PM
Roadclosed racing Instructor

The Balancer has no way to hold them perfectly centered since they are only supported by the rubber wheel seal. Because of this they can float off center not giving a proper balance.

I questioned it as well but when my tire guy explained it made total sense. Same reason you don't balance with stock spacers.
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 05:36 PM
Crossed Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsgesch View Post
Why them out? They should have no effect on tire balance. Another advantage to captive spacers. Have never seen them removed on tire changes at the track...
I have captive spacers on my spare/rain wheels and they need to be removed to be balanced (I mount/balance my own tires).
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 03:44 PM
Slow.

What's the point of these aftermarket spacers over stock? Thanks!

post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 03:55 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treyzian View Post
What's the point of these aftermarket spacers over stock? Thanks!
Take your wheels off. Now put them back on. Now you get it. LOL

In all seriousness, the stock spacers are stuck in place with only grease and "sticktion". As soon as you try and put your wheel back on they simply pop out of place, making it a suuuuuuper pain in ass to re-install your wheel.

These spacers snap into place and are firmly held in place. This makes it much, much easier to re-install the wheels.
Flammders and Yautja like this.
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 06:32 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsgesch View Post
This.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode