My 15 R1 engine blew with 2888 miles! - Page 8 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Yamaha YZF-R1 - R1M General Discussion General discussion area specific to the 2015 Yamaha R1M model. Please post all YZF-R1 R1M related topics in this section.

70Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #141 of 169 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 07:41 AM
SBU - For all things fast!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINgR15 View Post
the 2014 was the biggest piece of shit of all times so Idk wtf are you talking about just cause you own one doesn't mean that is the best trust me now I have a 2015 with 12k miles and I have never had any issue
We have seen some failures, but I'm sorry to say that almost of the built motors we've seen fail came from the same shop, which is really unfortunate for their customers. The only other failure we've seen firsthand was on a very old race engine that was effectively at the end of it's service life.

This 2015 issue is nowhere near as widespread as some would have us think, but the 2017 motor is definitely beefier.
shakazulu12 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
along with

Lowest prices guaranteed!

2015 WERA National Superbike/CCS SE Unl GP/Unl Superbike Champions

Follow us!:
Facebook.com/SuperbikeUnlimited
Instagram.com/SuperbikeUnlimited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 169 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 07:43 AM
Chef R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK Unlimited View Post
We have seen some failures, but I'm sorry to say that almost of the built motors we've seen fail came from the same shop, which is really unfortunate for their customers. The only other failure we've seen firsthand was on a very old race engine that was effectively at the end of it's service life.

This 2015 issue is nowhere near as widespread as some would have us think, but the 2017 motor is definitely beefier.
Glad I got a 2017 crate motor. Whats beefier about it?
post #143 of 169 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 07:54 AM

Garage
Main thing is new crank design:
2CR-11400-10-00 (same as 2016)

All-new for 2017 crank case - BX4-15100-09-00, which is the 3rd design and likely resolves any potential issues.

Another thing that people should be aware of is that some of the failures reported here from race teams can be caused by the OEM oil pan design, which under really extreme and unique hard braking conditions can cause the oil to shift and cause brief oiling issues, which will lead to a failure. This is why the oil pan on WSBK and Graves bikes for example is radically different, with a much deeper sump. This was 100% a factor on one of the old Herrin engines w/ Meen Moto.

along with

Follow us!:

post #144 of 169 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 07:57 AM
Chef R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK Unlimited View Post
Main thing is new crank design:
2CR-11400-10-00 (same as 2016)

All-new for 2017 crank case - BX4-15100-09-00, which is the 3rd design and likely resolves any potential issues.

Another thing that people should be aware of is that some of the failures reported here from race teams can be caused by the OEM oil pan design, which under really extreme and unique hard braking conditions can cause the oil to shift and cause brief oiling issues, which will lead to a failure. This is why the oil pan on WSBK and Graves bikes for example is radically different, with a much deeper sump. This was 100% a factor on one of the old Herrin engines w/ Meen Moto.
Haven't heard that before, thanks for sharing. I did see a nice CNC attack performance (possibly) oil pan they made on FB for Josh.

Is the oil pan on the 2017+ a newer design, or they just redid the crank?
post #145 of 169 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 08:07 AM

Garage
Same as far as we know, it seems that is an issue that basically the best of the best would experience, it has never been reported from even the top levels of club racing and most MotoAmerica riders that we know of.

along with

Follow us!:
post #146 of 169 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 11:32 AM
Unacceptable

^^^Thanks for the updates, bit of a load off my mind since I own a 2016.
post #147 of 169 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 11:35 AM
Unacceptable

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINgR15 View Post
the 2014 was the biggest piece of shit of all times so Idk wtf are you talking about just cause you own one doesn't mean that is the best trust me now I have a 2015 with 12k miles and I have never had any issue
LOL. One-post wonder registers here just to talk s**t. Gtfo with that son.
cyclepsycho7 and bacchus40 like this.
post #148 of 169 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 10:50 AM
My R1 eats me.

Hi Guys - I am trying to get a list of the people that this issue of the valve spring breaking has occurred. I have done a lot of research and I have found the following:
1. The valve spring from the outlet is the one that breaks
2. It usually happens on cylinder 2 or 3
3. The valve spring breaks in the centre of the spring
4. Yamaha have created upgraded springs (Better Springs - single springs) for 15 and 16 Model
5. The 17 and 18 models have the same motor but different valve springs (Dual valve Springs)
6. The 17 and 18 model valve springs fit into the head for the 15 and 16 models
7. The valve spring usually breaks at low mileage (Mine broke at just over 3000km - 2000miles)
8. The valve spring breaks at low rpm (I have a video running and you can hear the engine eating itself when the revs were dropped)

Donít let Yamaha fool you. A valve spring doesnít just break. They are tested to handle max revs and then the bikes are set to handle a percentage down from that. Valve springs only break if they are over revved and if you flashed your ECU or did the CAM timing it doesnít mean that the bike over revs. Riding the bike on a race track doesnít mean squat because these engines were designed for it. If the valve spring broke due to CAM timing, then all the cylinders would be damaged.

This issue has happened with many people, so many that Yamaha were worried enough to make the change on the 17 model but without notifying the owners of the previous years. I have a long list of just the people in South Africa that it has been happening to. The mechanics for the race bikes have known this issue for some time and immediately when they build a new race bike for someone the first thing they do is convert from the old spring to the new upgraded spring. So why has Yamaha done nothing about this.

Please send me your details and anyone elseís that you know of so I can start approaching Yamaha to rectify this.

Regards
post #149 of 169 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 01:29 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

2017 Engine in 2015 Chassis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimamxm View Post
I was in 3rd, comfortable below the rev limiter, that's all I can tell you.

Unfortunately that's not how this works, Yamaha doesn't just have these engines sitting around, the damaged parts will have to be sourced from Yamaha and it'll have to be completely re-built.

There is no re-sleeving the cylinder, that entire assembly will have to be completely replaced, basically I'll have to get everything new from the crankshaft up.

Although I don't know, even the crankshaft is suspect at this point....

You'd think Yamaha would give me a new engine, but as I said, the 2015 production run has ended and they are building 17+ engines. Apparently you can't just put a 17 engine into this 15 chassis, even though the changes are cosmetic (painted black now). All you can do is re-build.

What a mess...
What is the reason why a 2017 engine cannot go into a 2015 Chassis? Any techie please chime in.
post #150 of 169 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 01:35 AM
I eat my R1

Garage
A complete 17 motor will swap directly into any 15 or 16 and vice versa. The electronics have differences and some internal engine differences that would make some internals not compatible but a complete motor from any 15+ will go into any other and run.
bacchus40 likes this.

09 R1 black/gold SOLD

2015 R1M 007
2016 R1 Track
post #151 of 169 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 01:55 AM

2017 Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewstclair View Post
A complete 17 motor will swap directly into any 15 or 16 and vice versa. The electronics have differences and some internal engine differences that would make some internals not compatible but a complete motor from any 15+ will go into any other and run.
OK Thanks

The changed (2017) engine internals are crankcase, thrust washer, crankshaft???, dual valve springs, valve seats???
post #152 of 169 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 10:19 AM
I eat my R1

Garage
I don't know what u mean by valve seats but I think you mean the valve spring seats? Yea it all swaps over.

Crankcase was changed in 2016 to fit the thrust washer, crankshaft in 16 and again in 17 but I believe it is dimensionally the same I think they updated the oiling holes. It looked slightly different when I had them side by side. Valve springs swap over between motors as long as u have the seats and retainers to go with them. In 16 they changed the head but it was mainly the way the o-rings seal oil from getting into the sparkplug holes 15 the print goes as part of the head and 16 it is part of the cam caps. 16 pistons were updated the piston ring grooves are more shallow and the rings themselves and thinner. You can swap pistons between engines but you need rings to go with it is all. I couldn't tell you if there was updates to the cam profiles I got yec so I never looked into it but the rest of the motor is same. The 17 motor is black and all your case covers are silver so that would look off but other then that the engine will bolt in and all your wiring will hook to it and it'll run.
Hooli likes this.

09 R1 black/gold SOLD

2015 R1M 007
2016 R1 Track
post #153 of 169 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 10:00 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooli View Post
LOL. One-post wonder registers here just to talk s**t. Gtfo with that son.

Waddya mean - Come on man, this guy 'nows' everything cos he's owned two bikes!

Makin' Ponies....
post #154 of 169 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChR1z View Post
Waddya mean - Come on man, this guy 'nows' everything cos he's owned two bikes!
Agreed.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
post #155 of 169 (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 09:17 PM
Yamahaaa!!

Recently I’ve had more and more popping when decelerating, one loud bang each time I accelerate to decel... then I started losing power when at 1/4-1/2 throttle around 5k rpm... like, no power at all as if the bike was hesitating(any gear) now the lack of power is between 4-6k rpm. 3400 miles.
Also did not have this problem until the recall was performed this past December.

Ready...
post #156 of 169 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 11:37 AM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Links311 View Post
Recently Iíve had more and more popping when decelerating, one loud bang each time I accelerate to decel... then I started losing power when at 1/4-1/2 throttle around 5k rpm... like, no power at all as if the bike was hesitating(any gear) now the lack of power is between 4-6k rpm. 3400 miles.
Also did not have this problem until the recall was performed this past December.
My first thought was TB balance but since work was recently performed I am thinking that they did not seat the TBs well and its slowly leaking more and more and leaning out (sucking air). Take it back and tell em its lean as sh!t.

Makin' Ponies....
post #157 of 169 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 12:21 PM
My R1 eats me.

R1 2016 engine blew with 2800km

I had the same problem two weeks ago.

My R1 2016 engine blew with 2800km.

No track days, almost never in the orange zone, no abuse at all!

It blew when I was riding smoothly at 6th gear, at 6500rpm. Oil spilling at the rear tire, on my boots and fire and smoke coming from the bottom of the motorcycle. Very scary situation.

I've grabbed it on video....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleing View Post
Hi Guys - I am trying to get a list of the people that this issue of the valve spring breaking has occurred. I have done a lot of research and I have found the following:
1. The valve spring from the outlet is the one that breaks
2. It usually happens on cylinder 2 or 3
3. The valve spring breaks in the centre of the spring
4. Yamaha have created upgraded springs (Better Springs - single springs) for 15 and 16 Model
5. The 17 and 18 models have the same motor but different valve springs (Dual valve Springs)
6. The 17 and 18 model valve springs fit into the head for the 15 and 16 models
7. The valve spring usually breaks at low mileage (Mine broke at just over 3000km - 2000miles)
8. The valve spring breaks at low rpm (I have a video running and you can hear the engine eating itself when the revs were dropped)

Donít let Yamaha fool you. A valve spring doesnít just break. They are tested to handle max revs and then the bikes are set to handle a percentage down from that. Valve springs only break if they are over revved and if you flashed your ECU or did the CAM timing it doesnít mean that the bike over revs. Riding the bike on a race track doesnít mean squat because these engines were designed for it. If the valve spring broke due to CAM timing, then all the cylinders would be damaged.

This issue has happened with many people, so many that Yamaha were worried enough to make the change on the 17 model but without notifying the owners of the previous years. I have a long list of just the people in South Africa that it has been happening to. The mechanics for the race bikes have known this issue for some time and immediately when they build a new race bike for someone the first thing they do is convert from the old spring to the new upgraded spring. So why has Yamaha done nothing about this.

Please send me your details and anyone elseís that you know of so I can start approaching Yamaha to rectify this.

Regards
post #158 of 169 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 03:42 AM
R1, "One Hell of an Addiction"

Like many have said in this thread. All liter sport bikes are maxed out for performance and every manufacturer and every year has a certain amount of failures. That's the price you pay and chance you take to own a super fast great handling bike.

Lucky 13 Squadron

post #159 of 169 (permalink) Old 10-27-2018, 07:53 PM

I know it's been months here and wish I had known about this thread as I somehow missed it but I posted an update in the thread I created here.

https://www.r1-forum.com/forums/361-...ml#post8755679

In short - 3 valve related failures, 2 after Yamaha fixed it under warranty.
post #160 of 169 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:24 AM
My R1 eats me.

Anyone from Canada? If someone else from Canada have had problems with R1 2015 engine, we can start a class action against Yamaha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode