Confusing oil leak on my R1s - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Yamaha YZF-R1 - R1M General Discussion General discussion area specific to the 2015 Yamaha R1M model. Please post all YZF-R1 R1M related topics in this section.

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Just trying to go faster.

Confusing oil leak on my R1s

Hopefully someone has run across this problem themselves or seen it so I can try fixing it myself before I have to give it up to a mechanic to fix it.

So without realizing my 2016 R1s was leaking oil all over my right side. I didnít realize it until I stopped to get some gas. At first I didnít know how it happened because I checked the oil plug, cap and filter and all were present and snugly screwed on. And then I realized something had happened when I was on a straightaway prior to pulling over that my bike didnít hit too speed and wouldnít go any higher than 10k rpms even though it redlines at 11.2k or whatever the number is for the s model.

So what Iím thinking is it might have something to do with my top end and revving it on high rpms. I havenít gotten to it yet but maybe the valve cover gasket? Iím wondering what you guys are thinking? Thank ahead of time guys.

Attached are 3 pictures of when I first pulled over having oil all over only the RIGHT side of my bike. Right side as in throttle side. And the other 4th picture is right now me taking the cover to the air box and seeing oil on the left side of the cover. Which is weird if I say so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Rev limit is 12,200 btw on the r1s model****

post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 07:38 PM
SuperbikeUnlimited.com

Garage
Pull the airbox. Check the top of the motor. The oil looks like its comin from top of the motor looking at the oil streaks...

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Superbikeunlimited.com Ambassador
Superbikeunlimited.com PH#1-828-676-2222

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 08:08 PM
Venom X/O

Have you done anything to the bike recently?

Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
R1-016 Venom Squadron

post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchbluE View Post
Pull the airbox. Check the top of the motor. The oil looks like its comin from top of the motor looking at the oil streaks...

If I have to pull the air box I might need to look up some YouTube videos. I havenít done it yet on this bike haha.

post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheaded View Post
Have you done anything to the bike recently?

And no nothing mechanically at all. Only thing I did recently was a chain clean and chain adjustment prior to the ride before his happened. And the last oil change I had down before was about 1200 miles ago. So it wasnít really that recent.

post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 12:44 AM
I eat my R1

Garage
thats a lot of oil it has to be coming from a pressurized part of the motor. that tube coming off the right side engine cover is a good place to start and look the the oil cooler if it took a rock it would start to spew like that. theres a black braided hose on the right side that connects the cooler. pull your plastics off and spray the bike down with degreaser rinse the oil off so its cleaner and then top the oil back up and start it. you will see where its coming out. i don't think that oil inside the box has anything to do with it. even the valve cover would't leak that much. in front of the motor, below the radiator is where everything your going to want to look at is pretty much. let us know what you find

09 R1 black/gold SOLD

2015 R1M 007
2016 R1 Track
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 03:38 AM
Back to the Yamaha community.

Garage
Check your oil fill cap and see if the o-ring is present....... if not it is sucking in air and will leak oil around the threads pressurizing the crankcase.
JonRose likes this.

The older I get the slower I go.
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewstclair View Post
thats a lot of oil it has to be coming from a pressurized part of the motor. that tube coming off the right side engine cover is a good place to start and look the the oil cooler if it took a rock it would start to spew like that. theres a black braided hose on the right side that connects the cooler. pull your plastics off and spray the bike down with degreaser rinse the oil off so its cleaner and then top the oil back up and start it. you will see where its coming out. i don't think that oil inside the box has anything to do with it. even the valve cover would't leak that much. in front of the motor, below the radiator is where everything your going to want to look at is pretty much. let us know what you find

I will let you know later today when I get home. I have to go to work so Iíll see what I can find. I stripped the bike down to only itís left side fairing and the front body.

post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 12:57 PM
Venom X/O

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonRose View Post
And no nothing mechanically at all. Only thing I did recently was a chain clean and chain adjustment prior to the ride before his happened. And the last oil change I had down before was about 1200 miles ago. So it wasn’t really that recent.

Yea, Im not sure what would be causing it without taking it apart myself. I will say the air box is really easy to get off the bike, even for a noobie. I’d youve taken an airbox off before this will be no problem. I am really interested as to what caused it. Please keep us updated.
JonRose likes this.

Whoody whoody woo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeter View Post
You pecker head....
R1-016 Venom Squadron

Last edited by Gearheaded; 06-25-2018 at 12:59 PM.
post #11 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 01:12 PM
Back to the Yamaha community.

Garage
Now that I'm not looking at the pics on my puny phone I would wager that Andrew above is right. You have a hole in an oil line or the oil cooler to spew that much oil. Was there anything left in the crankcase, wow.

The older I get the slower I go.
post #12 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer86 View Post
Now that I'm not looking at the pics on my puny phone I would wager that Andrew above is right. You have a hole in an oil line or the oil cooler to spew that much oil. Was there anything left in the crankcase, wow.
Thats what I thought, any oil left in the engine after that? I wouldn't say that was a oil leak, more like an oil spray..
I see you have crankcase protection installed, could it be coming from loose screws or misplaced gasket?
JonRose likes this.

2016 R1s

Last edited by LongbangI4; 06-25-2018 at 03:02 PM.
post #13 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

So looking at it, is that suppose to be protruding like that?

post #14 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadracer86 View Post
Check your oil fill cap and see if the o-ring is present....... if not it is sucking in air and will leak oil around the threads pressurizing the crankcase.

Oil fill cap has the O ring present. And the ring is on pretty snug and tight too with no cracks or bends.

post #15 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 06:59 PM
SuperbikeUnlimited.com

Garage
Quote:

So looking at it, is that suppose to be protruding like that?

Yes

post #16 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewstclair View Post

Is this the braided tube youíre talking about? If so that tube seems fine. No punctures and itís on tight.

post #17 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 07:07 PM
SuperbikeUnlimited.com

Garage
Pull the airbox

JonRose likes this.

post #18 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchbluE View Post
Pull the airbox

Iím doing it right now but once I take it off what am I looking for? Screenshot is taken from a video from sportbike track gear.

post #19 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

So this first picture is of my left #1 and #2 throttle bodies and notice the oil there.

And now this is my right side throttle bodies #3 and #4. Notice how clean these are with no oil.

post #20 of 70 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 07:26 PM
SuperbikeUnlimited.com

Garage
Oil anywhere...it running or pooling. Your pics shows it running down the frame from under tank...
Quote:
Iím doing it right now but once I take it off what am I looking for? Screenshot is taken from a video from sportbike track gear.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode