2015 R1 Engine Trouble Woes - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Yamaha YZF-R1 - R1M General Discussion General discussion area specific to the 2015 Yamaha R1M model. Please post all YZF-R1 R1M related topics in this section.

41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 106 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

2015 R1 Engine Trouble Woes

Really just wanted to vent...

About a month and a half ago I was riding home from work and started to hear a clicking/clacking sound from the bike... No noticeable sluggish response from the engine or anything was noticed... Oil level was fine... I called a dealership and explained what I was hearing and they said to bring it by, sounds like cam chain tensioner...

Dropped it off the day after I started hearing the sound, and a week later they called and said it wasnít the tensioner but, they thought it may be the clutch and wanted to do an oil change with a slightly heavier weight oil... They would call back after they did that...

They called back, clutch adjustment and oil change made the sound slightly quieter but it was still present and they wanted to call Yamaha and get their take on it... Yamaha said they havenít heard of any other issues and to have me pick the bike back up and ride it until something fails giving them a ďsmoking gunĒ... I was very hesitant to do that because a) if it failed and locked the rear wheel that would be bad and b) what could be relatively moderate repair cost could turn into an astronomical one... They said not to worry too much about that because Yamaha would likely cover a portion of the bill... I went back in and the tech ensured me it would work out (in so many words)...

I go back in, pick up the bike, made it a mile and a half before the clicking sound turned into a clunking sound... Immediately shut the bike down and had the bike towed back to the dealer... They called the following week, said they dropped the oil pan and noticed the connecting rod on cylinder 1 was bad and it would require a total tear down and rebuild... I asked what type of compensation would Yamaha be willing to contribute, they said they would get back to me...

A few days later they called and said, Yamaha doesnít know how the engine was ran before I bought it and werenít willing to contribute anything to this repair...

They gave me an estimate of bare minimum $3,700 for parts and labor...

Of note, bike has 9,000 miles on it, I bought it with 4,200... Iíve never tracked the bike...

This whole thing sounds a bit shady on Yamahas part...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 106 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 03:14 PM
Avid two wheel therapy abuser

Garage
Dealers and factories will always go to any excuse not to cover any repairs. Engine failure like that at 9,000 itís unacceptable when these bikes cost so much damn money too. That sucks man, I take it you didnít get an extended warranty of any kind or anything like that?

03 VFR800
07 GSXR600
07 R1
10 Ducati SF1098
16 60th R1-current
post #3 of 106 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadVlad View Post
Dealers and factories will always go to any excuse not to cover any repairs. Engine failure like that at 9,000 itís unacceptable when these bikes cost so much damn money too. That sucks man, I take it you didnít get an extended warranty of any kind or anything like that?

No man, I bought it from Craigslist from another service member, took a friend of mine with me that had been riding his entire adult life to go over everything, listen for quirks and what not... He also has a 15 R1 ironically enough his bike was just stolen yesterday...

post #4 of 106 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 08:47 PM
64 degrees?? Pfff. I can do 90

Is it under warranty? If it is, this is clearly a defective assembly or part, regardless of service. If it is not under warranty it's just luck of the draw. Sometimes you win, you loose some. Don't be afraid to grab a copy of the service manual. Perhaps if you can take the motor out and put it back in yourself so the labor would be a bit less. At full shop rate, with the motor out, it shouldn't take more than a day to take apart and a day to put back together, given dealers are "professionals" (with an eye roll) and charge accordingly for it.

Not sure if it makes you feel better but I just found out someone at a dealership re-assembled mine incorrectly when it has 0 miles, 2000 now, and it pissed oil everywhere at the track. Good thing it has race fairings. Yup. Professional job right there. Oh and the fuel pump failed. And the battery completely died. twice. 10 years with a CBR 1000RR, 70,000km and literally 0 mechanical failures.
post #5 of 106 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

2015 R1 Engine Trouble Woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by smergy View Post
Is it under warranty? If it is, this is clearly a defective assembly or part, regardless of service. If it is not under warranty it's just luck of the draw. Sometimes you win, you loose some. Don't be afraid to grab a copy of the service manual. Perhaps if you can take the motor out and put it back in yourself so the labor would be a bit less. At full shop rate, with the motor out, it shouldn't take more than a day to take apart and a day to put back together, given dealers are "professionals" (with an eye roll) and charge accordingly for it.

Not sure if it makes you feel better but I just found out someone at a dealership re-assembled mine incorrectly when it has 0 miles, 2000 now, and it pissed oil everywhere at the track. Good thing it has race fairings. Yup. Professional job right there. Oh and the fuel pump failed. And the battery completely died. twice. 10 years with a CBR 1000RR, 70,000km and literally 0 mechanical failures.

So funny you said that about the CBR1000... One of my buddies essentially said the same thing... but more to add insult to injury.

Iím going to attempt a call to Yamaha myself tomorrow... 9,000 miles seems extremely low to have an issue like this... Just my luck I guess...

EDIT: didnít answer your first question, no not under warranty unfortunately.

post #6 of 106 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 08:58 PM

https://www.facebook.com/groups/yama...14602685343237

if you are looking for an engine, $3500 with ~700 miles on it. You can always part yours to recover some of the cost.
The Stig and cyclepsycho06R1 like this.
post #7 of 106 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 03:56 AM
I eat my R1

Garage
number one cylinder is the farthest away from where the oil is fed into the crank for the connecting rods. there have been a few i have seen and i think there was one on here not too long ago that blew at 2000 miles spun rod bearings. if someone takes off the right engine cover and messes up that seal it can cause a low oil pressure issue for the crank and depending how much pressure you have you will see exactly that issue your having. it may not actually be a yamaha problem seeing as you don't know what was done to the bike before. if that guy dropped it over in his garage and replaced that cover thinking he was doing a proper repair or something that could be enough right there
The Stig and cyclepsycho06R1 like this.

09 R1 black/gold SOLD

2015 R1M 007
2016 R1 Track
post #8 of 106 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 02:03 PM
Unacceptable

Quote:
Originally Posted by smergy View Post
10 years with a CBR 1000RR, 70,000km and literally 0 mechanical failures.
My 2008 CBR1000RR died @ 12,000 miles. Engine failure due to poor machining at the factory...several valve seats were not concentric, rings were crappy, and the metal backing to the cam chain guide was broken. And yes, it was an oil-burner. What a POS bike.
post #9 of 106 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewstclair View Post
number one cylinder is the farthest away from where the oil is fed into the crank for the connecting rods. there have been a few i have seen and i think there was one on here not too long ago that blew at 2000 miles spun rod bearings. if someone takes off the right engine cover and messes up that seal it can cause a low oil pressure issue for the crank and depending how much pressure you have you will see exactly that issue your having. it may not actually be a yamaha problem seeing as you don't know what was done to the bike before. if that guy dropped it over in his garage and replaced that cover thinking he was doing a proper repair or something that could be enough right there

Iím not really saying itís Yamahas issue per se, my issue with Yamaha is just that I took the bike in before any major failure and they told me to literally ride it until it breaks... I got that it isnít under warranty but, when I DID bring it in for something not seeming right and then this happen within 2 miles I think thatís pretty shitty...

Iím not expecting them to foot the entire bill but Jesus maybe a back scratch or reach around would be nice...

post #10 of 106 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 02:10 PM
I eat my R1

Garage
Yea that sucks for sure BUT if they had been able to determine its the rod bearing about to fail....then what?

09 R1 black/gold SOLD

2015 R1M 007
2016 R1 Track
post #11 of 106 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 06:47 PM
THEONEGTIVR6

I see a 16 motor for sale on the Facebook Yamaha official r1 forum.

04 R1 Gilles rear sets carbon fiber front fender,chain guard ,dash panels and heel guards. Pirelli supercorsa v2s my baby
post #12 of 106 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 06:36 AM

Yeah, it would be nice if they took some of the responsibility. Did you figure out what you are going to do?
post #13 of 106 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

So, I am pretty pissed about this whole thing...

This whole thing has taken 4 months from when the sound first started... A quick recap, after I picked the bike up and sat stranded on the side of the road for 4 hours waiting on the tow truck I had the dealership come pick the bike back up from the house (this was back in September). The called and said it was definitely a spun bearing

They gave me an estimate of around $3,500 for the repair, so I gave them the thumbs up to order all the parts... That took forever to get the parts in, they finally got everything and started the rebuild about 3 weeks ago. Last week they called and said it was ready to be picked up so, I left work early on Friday to pick her up and hand over part of my soul as payment...

We go outside and he starts the bike, and I swear it doesn't sound any better than it did the first time I dropped it off... I am no mechanic but, it still just didn't sound right... The service manager starts throwing terms at me that go over my head and assures me that the bike is 100% OK. I pay the dude, get on the bike and the sound starts to get quieter as I'm on it. I get about a mile from my house and the oil pressure light comes on while I'm at idle at a stoplight but, goes away as I started to accel away. By the time I got the bike back to the house the oil pressure light stays on. I will not start the bike again, here is what it sounded like when I got it home...

$4,000 and this is what I got back... Hell nah, tempted to contact an attorney.
post #14 of 106 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 08:55 AM
I eat my R1

Dam dude that sucks! What dealer is that?
post #15 of 106 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 09:15 AM
THEONEGTIVR6

They definitely ****ed up that job. Wow Iíd take it right back and say make it right.

04 R1 Gilles rear sets carbon fiber front fender,chain guard ,dash panels and heel guards. Pirelli supercorsa v2s my baby
post #16 of 106 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketheone46 View Post
They definitely ****ed up that job. Wow Iíd take it right back and say make it right.

That is the plan...

post #17 of 106 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 09:32 AM
Not an R7, next best thing!!

Damn... man that is such bad business right there man. Hope they make her right.
The Stig likes this.
post #18 of 106 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 09:43 AM
Unacceptable

That video was cringe-worthy.
post #19 of 106 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 02:21 PM
THEONEGTIVR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
That is the plan...

I woulda had it back that day. I’m sure you called them once home though. I so feel for ya man. Hope all gets straightened out.

Last edited by Jaketheone46; 12-10-2018 at 02:24 PM.
post #20 of 106 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaketheone46 View Post
I woulda had it back that day. Iím sure you called them once home though.

I absolutely called when I got home, was told the oil pressure light was an air bubble in the system...

If I hadnít been less than a mile from my house I would have immediately turned around and had the bike back with them.

I called this morning to schedule them to pick the bike up because I refuse to even start it again, let alone ride it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode