Broke my 2016 Engine while cruising??? - Page 2 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Yamaha YZF-R1 - R1M General Discussion General discussion area specific to the 2015 Yamaha R1M model. Please post all YZF-R1 R1M related topics in this section.

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 09:39 AM
Avid two wheel therapy abuser

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-n-D View Post
Amen! I always preach do it yourself. Most people don't like to hear that, so I held back on this one.
Yep, just did the first oil change on the R1 a couple days ago and the knucklehead tech at the dealer who did the oil change when they took it in, overfilled the crankcase by half a quart the moron and also noticed a slight hum when pushing the bike backwards and turns out they over tightened the front and rear axles by a mile when they installed the new tires. I took everything back off, cleaned and lubed the axles and re-tightened down properly and the humming is gone. Yet another reason why I do all my own work, hard to trust these so called techs at shops these days. Only tech here in Denver that would ever touch my bikes would be Mike at QuikCycles and because he’s just as OCD if not more than me and he does incredible and realible work.
Hot Rod likes this.

03 VFR800
07 GSXR600
07 R1
10 Ducati SF1098
16 60th R1-current
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 09:48 AM
kickin' at the darkness

how the hell do you screw up an oil change?

Hot Rod likes this.

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, LV EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS remove, GYTR air, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc
HINSON Billet bskt, Barnett CF stack, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech adjust, ANNITORI RL, CLEVER WOLF CF tank cover, RIZOMA
grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows GYTR, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK
CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines, Accossato Radial 19x18, Motodynamic
post #23 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 10:00 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post
how the hell do you screw up an oil change?

You’d be surprised man and that’s my mistake for trusting them when I bought the bike and not checking through it all like I do with anything I buy new or not and I was in a bit of a hurry that afternoon cause I had somewhere to be but shouldn’t be an excuse. Went for a ride for a bit and came home, put the bike on the stands and started taking the lower shield pieces off, I looked up at the oil level window and that thing was beyond full, I was like wtf man... measured all the old oil on an empty Mobil 1 5qt jug I had from my cars oil changes and it measured nearly 5 qts, the bike took 4.3qts with filter change. I also popped the air filter housing off to make sure no oil was seeping through there with it being overfilled and just a bit made its way up but nothing major thankfully but cleaned that up and installed the Sprinter P08 filter while I was in there.

Bike is going in for a full proper dyno tune with Mike at Quikcycles in a month from now to get this thing smoothed out. I definitely called the dealer up and let them have a piece of my mind, they offered a free service but told them to just give me a parts credit for next time I needed parts for service and that I would take care of it myself. Those guys are definitely not touching my bike.
bacchus40 and Hot Rod like this.

03 VFR800
07 GSXR600
07 R1
10 Ducati SF1098
16 60th R1-current

post #24 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 11:20 AM
I eat my R1

Thanks for the video @bacchus40

I had a long running argument with the guy i used to fix engines with on lubing the back of bearings. Glad to see someone explain why it makes no sense. After spinning a couple of bearings, i ditched the lubing and never looked back.
bacchus40 likes this.
post #25 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 01:07 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

My 15' did the SAME THING right around the same time. It spun a bearing and spent 6 months in the shop
bacchus40 likes this.
post #26 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 01:49 PM

Engine Problem
I was on the way to work with my 2015 R1 and right when I was about to merge onto the highway on ramp, I heard a loud knocking sound coming from my engine. I went to the nearest gas station to make sure the oil level was fine and it was. I rode it back home about 4 miles. I took it to the shop where i purchased the bike and they said that it sounded like a rod. My bike has 6327 on the odometer and has had an oil change at 587 miles and another at 3385. has anyone else had a problem like this?

This was 3 years ago
post #27 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 02:01 PM

Garage
Seems like spun bearings are a pretty common problems on these engines from all the posts I see. I’m at 6600 and sure hope I won’t be the next victim but good thing I have a top of the line extended warranty just for kicks but fingers crossed I won’t have any issues.

03 VFR800
07 GSXR600
07 R1
10 Ducati SF1098
16 60th R1-current
post #28 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 04:53 PM
kickin' at the darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadVlad View Post

Bike is going in for a full proper dyno tune with Mike at Quikcycles in a month from now to get this thing smoothed out. I definitely called the dealer up and let them have a piece of my mind, they offered a free service but told them to just give me a parts credit for next time I needed parts for service and that I would take care of it myself. Those guys are definitely not touching my bike.
let me guess they measured oil level with the bike on the kickstand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadVlad View Post
Seems like spun bearings are a pretty common problems on these engines from all the posts I see. I’m at 6600 and sure hope I won’t be the next victim but good thing I have a top of the line extended warranty just for kicks but fingers crossed I won’t have any issues.
yep, not happy to hear all of these issues..

there's a left over 16 R1 on the floor locally, this explains a lot

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, LV EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS remove, GYTR air, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc
HINSON Billet bskt, Barnett CF stack, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech adjust, ANNITORI RL, CLEVER WOLF CF tank cover, RIZOMA
grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows GYTR, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK

Last edited by bacchus40; 11-25-2018 at 04:57 PM.
post #29 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 05:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post
let me guess they measured oil level with the bike on the kickstand!

yep, not happy to hear all of these issues..

there's a left over 16 R1 on the floor locally, this explains a lot
Doubt they even looked at the window, they probably just filled it up based on book or messed up in fill up and didn’t think it was that big of a deal, it happens all the time which sucks... yeah there are a lot of leftover R1 in floors for sure and it’s sad given you pay that much for a motorcycle you expect it to not have these kind of issues.

03 VFR800
07 GSXR600
07 R1
10 Ducati SF1098
16 60th R1-current
post #30 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 06:11 PM
kickin' at the darkness

if they used measurements found in the book, they would have gotten it right...

i dont really use the window anymore.. i've got a handy measuring cup specifically for oil re-fills

it has a close-open valve so i can fill up to exactly amount desired then just pour that into the engine.

usually takes a couple of goes due to size but its very accurate.

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

post #31 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 06:14 PM

Garage
I’ve seen it before where measurements in the books get corrected from the initial numbers or the tech just reads the measurements in the books wrong, whatever the case was it’s unacceptable to overfill a crankcase

03 VFR800
07 GSXR600
07 R1
10 Ducati SF1098
16 60th R1-current
post #32 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-27-2018, 12:14 AM
I eat my R1

Seems a lots being made about over filling the oil. What's the danger apart from getting oil in your air box? Can it cause any engine damage?
post #33 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Not an R7, next best thing!!

So just a quick up date. I was very suspicious about my compression test with the "Harbor Freight" engine compression tester because all four cylinders measured within 3 PSI of each other, but those measurements were just very low (90 -93 PSI). I did a little research and discovered that the compression tester that I bought has the pressure trapping valve all the way up the hose by the actual gauge. U can imagine how this will not work because on the down stroke (exhaust stroke) all the compressed air in the hose just leaks out the cylinder and there fore all the readings will come up short. I have a new tester ordered and will retest this Friday. With that sad, it does seem like the engine compression is fine and balanced, so apparently no valve damage has occurred, but I will know fore sure on Friday.

Quick question, If my girl spun a barring, I am correct in assuming that specific issue would not show up in a simple compression test...right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180927_194225.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	994043  
post #34 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 03:42 PM

Broke my 2016 Engine while cruising???

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLa View Post
So just a quick up date. I was very suspicious about my compression test with the "Harbor Freight" engine compression tester because all four cylinders measured within 3 PSI of each other, but those measurements were just very low (90 -93 PSI). I did a little research and discovered that the compression tester that I bought has the pressure trapping valve all the way up the hose by the actual gauge. U can imagine how this will not work because on the down stroke (exhaust stroke) all the compressed air in the hose just leaks out the cylinder and there fore all the readings will come up short. I have a new tester ordered and will retest this Friday. With that sad, it does seem like the engine compression is fine and balanced, so apparently no valve damage has occurred, but I will know fore sure on Friday.

Quick question, If my girl spun a barring, I am correct in assuming that specific issue would not show up in a simple compression test...right?

I know what they did to find mine was drop the oil pan and test the rods for play...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #35 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
I know what they did to find mine was drop the oil pan and test the rods for play...

Thanks for the reply. I am sure that is on the list. I am cleaning the garage this weekend and putting up good lighting. If I have to rebuild her, I want to be able to see what I am doing.
post #36 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 03:50 PM

Here is the video they sent me...

post #37 of 107 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 07:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Bro...that helps. Now I know what to look for.
post #38 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 08:19 AM

Sorry to thread jack but, I got the call last week that the bike was ready to be picked up... $4,000 later, this is what they said was “fixed” No ****ing way is this fixed.

post #39 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 08:47 AM Thread Starter

Wow bro that sound horrible and just like my bike which ended up having a spun bearing in Cylinder#1. I spent the weekend taking my bike apart.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181209_210158_1544460398606.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	994257   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181209_210356_1544460413865.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	994259   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181104_182843_1544460444903.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	994261  
post #40 of 107 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 08:52 AM

yeah dude, that is what was wrong with it... That video is what they said was "fixed" and I dropped $4k on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode