Broke my 2016 Engine while cruising??? - Page 4 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Yamaha YZF-R1 - R1M General Discussion General discussion area specific to the 2015 Yamaha R1M model. Please post all YZF-R1 R1M related topics in this section.

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #61 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Not an R7, next best thing!!

So she is back together. I was super nervous starting her...I mean like sweating like the dude in Airplane the movie!! Gave her a quick couple of taps on the starter button to make sure she didn't screech any hurtful sounds, then held my breath and gave her a long press. All be damn she fired right up. Couldn't believe it. So I watched her, checked for leaks, listened for noises, crossed my fingers, looked for dead people, and waited and watched. Then the bad thing started to happen...she got hot, like fast. She hit 205 too fast and my fans kicked on (she has been flashed, thanks FTC), but they didn't stop her from reaching 220, at idol, so I shut her off and went into panic mode. I had taken out the Thermostat during the rebuild and thought maybe I put it back in backwards or she just failed, so 25 mins later that thing was on the stove boiling and she opened perfectly. So that wasn't the best of news at all. I had also taken apart the water pump, just to inspect it, and thought maybe I had messed something up. So if you have followed this thread, u know that one of my best friends is a car mechanic, so at 10:45 Saturday night i texted his ass. Of coarse he was asleep like a punk, but I didn't care. I just kept texting one word texts until he finally answered...lol. He was like "La, what up bro, is everything all right?". Yeah, just a bike question..."reallly? u dick". Anyway, we talked and I told him my issues and he said yep, if the radiator is not getting hot (which it wasn't), it sounds like a water pump issue. I told him thanks, get back to sleep, and that I was off to the manual to figure out how to fix a water pump. SO reading through the manual I come across this wonderful, fantastic sentence that say "make sure you bleed the coolant system by opening the bleeder. CAN IT BE THIS SIMPLE? Is my water pump cavitating? Yes...it was that simple. After bleeding the system, I started her (sorry neighbors, I know it was 11:15, but I had to know) and she, again fired right up and this time she warmed up slowing and normal like. Can't tell you how elated I was.

So I have a question, because I think I might be mind fking myself. She idols perfect, god how can you not love the sound of that dang engine. I replaced the piston rod in cylinder #1 (the spun bearing) and the crank shaft and made sure everything was to spec before I put her back together. However, those were the only two big items I replaced. Of course I replace all the bearing and seals and bolts (even some bolts that I apparently didn't need to replace, but hey I am a noob). So my question is, I remember my bike feeling relatively smooth at idol then she would get a little rougher as the rpms went up, then smooth out again at the higher RPMs. I only have a few miles on her now (after the rebuild), but she seems a little rough, but I can't tell if it is just me cuz I haven't rode her in months. I have to believe that all crank shafts have to meet a certain spec and are properly balanced, right? And the Cranks and balance shafts are interchangeable with other cranks and balance shafts, Yes?. They don't balance all the pistons, cranks, and balance shafts as one unit for each engine do they? I should be good right and my mind is just playing tricks on me.
2001GSXR750 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:06 PM
I eat my R1

Garage
The pistons, rings, rods all have a weight spec that they have to be inside of and the crank is balanced to that general spec so yes it is all interchangeable. It can be balanced better while everything is apart where they mix and match heavier or lighter rods with heavier or lighter pistons to get better matched sets and then balance the crank a little finer for that but if that isn't what you have done it's not a big deal.

That little bleed screw is important. Check it for drips now that you cracked it open sometimes you will have to replace it because the copped has been crushed.

09 R1 black/gold SOLD

2015 R1M 007
2016 R1 Track
post #63 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Man...thank you so much for your quick response. That makes me feel a lot better. Have a blessed evening.

post #64 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:19 PM
I eat my R1

Garage
Sorry let me throw a disclaimer on that. IF you did all your work right then it will be fine so it depends how confident you are in your ability to read the manual lol. Good luck I'm sure it's fine.
The Stig likes this.

09 R1 black/gold SOLD

2015 R1M 007
2016 R1 Track
post #65 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

HAHAHAHAHA. I would love to say I trust myself, but this was a challenge, which I enjoyed. I tried to be as thorough as possible and double checked and rechecked. I do know that I will take my time working her back in and making sure I keep an eye on the dash for warning lights. I do feel like the next time I rebuilt her (prob at 18000, cuz I want to track her more), I will be way better prepared. Any way man, I read most of your post on here and you and Tad are a tremendous help to people...so thanks bro.
The Stig likes this.
post #66 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 10:43 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLa View Post
HAHAHAHAHA. I would love to say I trust myself, but this was a challenge, which I enjoyed. I tried to be as thorough as possible and double checked and rechecked. I do know that I will take my time working her back in and making sure I keep an eye on the dash for warning lights. I do feel like the next time I rebuilt her (prob at 18000, cuz I want to track her more), I will be way better prepared. Any way man, I read most of your post on here and you and Tad are a tremendous help to people...so thanks bro.

Much bigger balls than I have man... I hope all your work pays off... Maybe when I retire and have more time on my hands I’ll get back to getting my hands dirty myself again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #67 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 11:46 AM
Plastic surgery pending

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
Sorry to thread jack but, I got the call last week that the bike was ready to be picked up... $4,000 later, this is what they said was “fixed” No ****ing way is this fixed.

https://youtu.be/pI5b4qxeK_Q

Clearly they installed a dry clutch.
post #68 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-27-2019, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

So question, kinda in the same direction as before. If u follow this thread u know that my girl spun a bearing and I rebuilt her and she is back on the road...yes!!!. I road her to work yesterday and back (bout 45min each way). In the morning it was about 55-56 deg, nice and she never got over about 170 deg. The ride home it was about 88-90 and this was a good test for the bike as she got 210 deg + with no issues...again...yes!!! So my only issues is there seems to be some bike/engine vibration past about 5000 RPM. I thought i was just trippin', so I road my 09 R1 and she is smoother, without a doubt. Not by that much, but she is smoother. So can this be a timing thing, a "i didn't get the cam chain on perfectly" thing (which I pretty sure is on correctly because I took my time on this part, for sure), a "she needs to just loosen up" thing, or she is out of balance? She is definitely ride-able and feels as strong as ever, but she just seems like she has more vibration. I have flashed her, way before the spun bearing (thanks FTC, god I love that program and thanks Tad for helping me understand that software) and the throttle is awesomely perfect, but dang it...she just doesn't seem as smooth as I remember. Again, it feel like she is running good, fires up perfectly, is very smooth between 1300 and about 5000, but then a little vibration starts to appear. Is there something that can be done?

Thanks for reading my posts...La
post #69 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 03:38 PM
kickin' at the darkness

tune it.. sounds like a (AFR) fueling issue to me, specially as you're talking specific RPMs you find require a little smoothing over.

all 6 gears will require a little bit of adjustment, dont expect one map to work on all of them.

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, LV EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS remove, GYTR air, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc
HINSON Billet bskt, Barnett CF stack, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech adjust, ANNITORI RL, CLEVER WOLF CF tank cover, RIZOMA
grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows GYTR, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK
CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines, Accossato Radial 19x18, Motodynamic
post #70 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. We have a pretty good dyno turner up here in Sac, CA so after my 400 miles break in I'ma probably take her over there.
post #71 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 08:57 PM
2016 R1

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLa View Post
Thanks for the input. We have a pretty good dyno turner up here in Sac, CA so after my 400 miles break in I'ma probably take her over there.

post #72 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 12:15 AM
I eat my R1

Garage
its possible with whatever work was done you may also want to re-sync the throttle bodies in a bit after a little bit of break in. this is also dumb but you did use new plugs when it went back together? i don't know how bad it was but just to be sure that plug didnt get tapped by the piston and closed a little

09 R1 black/gold SOLD

2015 R1M 007
2016 R1 Track
post #73 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Apex...got it (600), u r right!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewstclair View Post
its possible with whatever work was done you may also want to re-sync the throttle bodies in a bit after a little bit of break in. this is also dumb but you did use new plugs when it went back together? i don't know how bad it was but just to be sure that plug didn't get tapped by the piston and closed a little
I have heard a little about the Throttle bodies, so that is next on the list (another good challenge) and good point on the Spark Plugs. I double check the gap before I reinstalled them, but I did reinstall the #1 plug and u are right, something could have happened to it.

Even though she is running strong she did back fire yesterday, which I though was kinda odd. I have the typical de-excel pops (yes flashed and 3/4 exhaust), but she has never back fired.

Yesterday I loosened up the engine mounting bolts (all 4) and rechecked that those little spacers on the inside of the two long thru engine mounting bolts were torqued down to spec then did the same for the two long bolts and the two front bolts, which now have WoodCraft frame sliders attached, and then took her for a spin. It was on this quick ride that she back fired and only once while slowing coming to a stop. I instantly though...humm, that was weird.

Will look at the Throttle bodies next.
TheoreticalApex likes this.
post #74 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 06:00 PM
Unacceptable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner- View Post
I ain't no engineer, but try to contact some R1 engine experts in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner- View Post
Maybe EDR..? or.. somehting.
post #75 of 113 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 06:24 PM
64 degrees?? Pfff. I can do 90

I enjoyed reading through this thread, there are some good tidbits here. Perhaps there is someone in your area with a '15/'16 you can take for a spin back to back to see? Maybe a local riding group? Maybe a mind trick, maybe not. I find the bike fairly rough just rolling around the pits and at low speed compared to others. It doesn't really like the cold either which is handy up in Canada which could also be a factor in my observation.

For a data point, I picked up a 2015 last year from an AFM guy out in cali. Super nice dude, clearly knew bikes, only ran 3 weekends on it. Stock motor, with 2nd 'fixed' before it left the showroom. Minus one of the crank case bolts falling out (near the starter, good job dealer) and a black flag for smoke, it otherwise runs well. The original owner brought it to EDR (no engine work), but they made a hell of a mess 'installing' the ktech rear shock. When I received it (1k miles) it only 40% of the pressure it should in the shock, destroying a rear a day. It has been subsequently fixed by a top race shop here and now works excellent. Front seems fine with great feel (25mm K-tech).

EDR put in the rapid bike controller and did some fuel/ignition mapping. I dislike that only part of the maps are accessible without special software, but what can you do. The dyno graphs shows well, nice and smooth. 4k miles, track only at an upper level pace and good so far. Other than a dead fuel pump, and a junk shorai battery (both have now been replaced), it runs well... when it starts... lol

Let us know how your diagnostics goes into the issue
yzfr6chris likes this.
post #76 of 113 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Well...not so good news. I built one of those dang manometer things, hooked her up and did the best I could to sync the throttle bodies. The manometer actually worked pretty good, but I could never really get the TB's perfect. I am pretty sure they are closer than when I started. Then I took her for a ride and that damn vibration is still there. So this morning I replaced all the spark plugs and readjusted the throttle bodies again, hoping to make things a little better. Then my younger brother and I went on about a 100 mile ride thru the hills here in Nor Cal. I cant tell you how frustrated I am because the bike is almost unrideable, now that I have spent a good amount of time on her. I am also pretty convinced that the vibration is always there, just masked better at the low RPM. Above 4000 it really starts to appear and around 6000 (really the sweet spot of riding in the hill) it is very pronounced and after a while it was almost unbearable. Man, I am so disappointed because it was really nice to be back on her, but wow, toward the end of the ride I didn't want the engine to get over 4000 RPMs.

Yes, she still feels strong, but she does have a slight idol surge and I am almost convinced that either the timing is off slightly or all of the cylinders are just not working optimally. Is there and easy way to adjust the timing or figure out if one of the cylinders is working less then the others?

Note: I do have the Flash Tune software.

Last edited by IamLa; 05-04-2019 at 07:39 PM.
post #77 of 113 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 07:36 PM
Considering Another R1

Subscribed... Hope you get this figured out.

Kawi 07' ZZR600 (Sold)
Yama 09' YZF-R6 (Sold)
Kawi 11’ ZX10R (Sold)
Yama 05’ R1 (Sold)
Yama 11’ FZ8 (Sold)
Kawi 11’ ZX10R (Sold)
Kawi 15’ ZX10R (Sold)

... Currently looking to purchase another bike
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #78 of 113 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 07:43 PM
kickin' at the darkness

stupid question OP.. have you tuned her up after the recent work?

vibrations, similar issues I have found are sometimes directly related to shitty tuning..

every time i go for proper AFR and get all gears lined up vibes go away and engine purrs.

just a thought. TB sync is only good if your bike is properly tuned, TB sync also only applies to idle..
but I have noticed (vibes) do repeat higher up the rpm range, at certain rpm's etc. sort of like strings
on a musical instrument..

oh yeah, its idle, not idol!!

when you say you built one of those nano thingies, that doesnt sound like its a properly calibrated unit

are you sure you got the TBs right?

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, LV EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS remove, GYTR air, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc
HINSON Billet bskt, Barnett CF stack, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech adjust, ANNITORI RL, CLEVER WOLF CF tank cover, RIZOMA
grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows GYTR, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK
CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines, Accossato Radial 19x18, Motodynamic

Last edited by bacchus40; 05-04-2019 at 07:49 PM.
post #79 of 113 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 07:54 PM
I eat my R1

Garage
Laser temp gun on the headers. After a rip of it running rough stop and check the header temp and look for variance. Write down what u find. I wonder if the counter balance shaft was off a tooth......

09 R1 black/gold SOLD

2015 R1M 007
2016 R1 Track
post #80 of 113 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 08:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post
stupid question OP.. have you tuned her up after the recent work?

vibrations, similar issues I have found are sometimes directly related to shitty tuning..

every time i go for proper AFR and get all gears lined up vibes go away and engine purrs.

just a thought. TB sync is only good if your bike is properly tuned, TB sync also only applies to idle..
but I have noticed (vibes) do repeat higher up the rpm range, at certain rpm's etc. sort of like strings
on a musical instrument..

oh yeah, its idle, not idol!!

when you say you built one of those nano thingies, that doesnt sound like its a properly calibrated unit

are you sure you got the TBs right?

Unfortunately I have no way of checking the AF ratios and that is what I am hoping it is, so that is my only recourse at this point I think. I am gonna have to take her to be dyno tuned. But was trying to resolve this shit show before the dyno tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode