Broke my 2016 Engine while cruising??? - Page 5 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Yamaha YZF-R1 - R1M General Discussion General discussion area specific to the 2015 Yamaha R1M model. Please post all YZF-R1 R1M related topics in this section.

25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 111 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Not an R7, next best thing!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewstclair View Post
Laser temp gun on the headers. After a rip of it running rough stop and check the header temp and look for variance. Write down what u find. I wonder if the counter balance shaft was off a tooth......

It is funny u mentioned this. I actually asked my brother if he had on of those temp guns because I thought the might work. Thank you for confirming that. Might run to the store and get one real quick. Would idling the bike do it or would I need to go for a quick spin??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 111 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 08:28 PM
kickin' at the darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamLa View Post
Unfortunately I have no way of checking the AF ratios and that is what I am hoping it is, so that is my only recourse at this point I think. I am gonna have to take her to be dyno tuned. But was trying to resolve this shit show before the dyno tune.
i would have started with the dyno tune... its part of the shit show

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, LV EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS remove, GYTR air, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc
HINSON Billet bskt, Barnett CF stack, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech adjust, ANNITORI RL, CLEVER WOLF CF tank cover, RIZOMA
grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows GYTR, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK
CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines, Accossato Radial 19x18, Motodynamic
post #83 of 111 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 07:16 AM
I eat my R1

At this point I'd be checking for darkened oil and bearing shavings in the oil.

Had a few similar experiences this when I started rebuilding my engines myself.

Main culprits were:
1: Too much gasket maker when sealing the crank causes
2: no assembly lube and taking too long after assembly to start engine
3: not letting oil system prime before riding or revving engine
4: Shitty torque wrench

Sent from my SM-A305F using Tapatalk

post #84 of 111 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikuken View Post
At this point I'd be checking for darkened oil and bearing shavings in the oil.

Had a few similar experiences this when I started rebuilding my engines myself.

Main culprits were:
1: Too much gasket maker when sealing the crank causes
2: no assembly lube and taking too long after assembly to start engine
3: not letting oil system prime before riding or revving engine
4: Shitty torque wrench

Thanks for your input. I have a pretty good electronic torque wrench and I was extra careful not to clog up any of the oil ports in the crank case when putting her back together. I also got her pretty wet while assembling her and started her the next day.
post #85 of 111 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewstclair View Post
Laser temp gun on the headers. After a rip of it running rough stop and check the header temp and look for variance. Write down what u find. I wonder if the counter balance shaft was off a tooth......

So, picked up a temp gun today and just ran a test on the header temps. Let her idle up to temp (205) and shot the exhaust pipes (in the same approx place on each pipe) and Cylinder 1 bounces around 460, # 2 around 490, #3 around 390, and #4 around 380.

Not very even right? what might cause the unevenness? What should be the general heat range and what should be the average delta?

Last edited by IamLa; 05-20-2019 at 07:04 AM.
post #86 of 111 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 04:07 PM Thread Starter

Hey guys,

On the way home to do a compression test, then will take the Cam cover off and check the timing chain and the valve clearance. I talk to the local Dyno guy here in Sac and this fella doesn't work with the Flash Tune software...wow r u kidding me. So, he cant dyno tune my bike unless I get a fuel module like the Power Commander. Shame. Will be looking for someone that can do the job. If anyone here in Nor Cal can point me in the right direction I will give u a long distance High 5.

Oh I also ordered a different 4 Vacuum Gauge setup to properly tune my throttle bodies and that should be here on Wednesday. Will report back later. Have a blessed evening...La
post #87 of 111 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 11:57 PM
2010 & '18 Are One

subscribed! enjoyed reading the comments throughout the thread. sucks this happened to you, but big propz on getting in there yourself and doing it yourself. i want to eventually be able to do internal work but it just sounds so challenging and scary... but you give me motivation because what you did is pretty inspiring (from not having any prior mechanical experience) to go at it yourself. keep up the good work and i hope you get things figured out with this vibration thing. i will continue to follow
post #88 of 111 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Well, it goes from bad to worse...haha. Took apart the top of the bike and removed the cam cover. Rechecked the valving shims and the 4 exhaust valves on cylinder 2 and 3 were not within spec. (I somehow messed this up). Okay fine, this might be the reason for the slight vibration...hopefully, right??? I figure if I can get these within spec and do a proper throttle bodies sync (with my new tool I ordered...not the DYI one) hopefully this fixes my girl, cuz she is pissed at me right now. She wont even look at me.

So I started the process, it was late, took her apart, got her all shimmed correctly, and got her all torqued down. Then went to double check the shim spacing and one is way off. OMFG the shim in #2 Exhaust valve on cylinder #3 is not there...must have missed it. Freaking kidding me...it is sitting on the bench. Oh it gets worse...

Note to self: Don't not work on your bike when you are dog ass tired.

So, I re-zip tied the cams, took the cam caps off, went to put the shim in and dropped it into the head...yep. It fell behind the valve spring on exhaust valve #2 (cylinder 3). I saw right where it went, but when I went to retrieve it, it was gone. It fking Houdini'd me. There is a small hole, of course just big enough for a shim, in the head right next to the valve spring and I think it fell into that hole. I believe that is a oil return oil, but I have really no idea. Wow I cant believe this.

My pops has a very small camera used to video rifle bores, so I am gonna send that thing down that hole to see if I can see the shim, and then hopefully retrieve it with a thin magnet. Oh and side note...fking Amazon lost my "same day order" for my thin retrieval magnets...man I want to fights someone right now!!!

My only other option would be to put another shim in that MFKER , tighten everything in the top back down, move the engine parts around just slightly and drop the oil pan.....AND PRAY OUT POPS A SHIM.

Anybody do some shit like this or am I the only man on earth that is a numb-nut.

Just know this, I will not let the bitch beat me!!

Happy mothers day guys.

Last edited by IamLa; 05-11-2019 at 12:29 PM.
post #89 of 111 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 12:39 PM
64 degrees?? Pfff. I can do 90

I do enjoy the honesty and the comic relief. We all make mistakes, but it takes some guts to admit it.

Perseverance will pay off. I know it sucks, but if you're going to do it, do it right, or at least as close to right as you can. Perhaps its best to know for sure and try and it get it back out the same way it went in by not leaving it to chance. Once you start moving things around, you could end up worse off than when you started.... or even worse, have no idea where it is. Go with what you know
IamLa likes this.
post #90 of 111 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

Well, I drained the oil... Nothing. The good news is the oil looks clean and perfect... No metal shavings. I ran a magnet thru it as it drained and when it was in the container...so some actual good news in my on going shit show Since, Amazon jacked up the delivery of my skinny magnets, I decided I might as well drop the oil pan, so off went the oil cooler and exhaust, and the the oil pan, after loosening the kick stand. I was praying that damn shim would be there, but of course not... Nothing. However, on the bright side the oil pan looked just as clean as the oil. So that's a win, right. My bike is on two stand, so there is enough room for me to get under her and look up her skirt, so to speak. As she is still pissed at me, I bet she wanted to fall over on me just for shits and giggles. Well from below looking up, there is a 1" square channel that looks to run straight up to the head and gets smaller as it gets closer to the head. This to me looked like the correct location of what I think is that oil drain that the shim fell into (i think), so I shined a light from the top down into that small hole and was able to see some slivers of light from the bottom of the engine. So if the shim did fall in that hole it only has one place to go. Well, without a magnet I decide to shoot some Carb cleaner down that hole, from the top. Two squirts and OH MY FREAKING God... Out pops that dang shim onto my garage floor. YES.

So later today I will start putting her back together.
23103a likes this.

Last edited by IamLa; 05-14-2019 at 03:45 PM.
post #91 of 111 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:00 AM
I eat my R1

Hah! That's the best shim save ever. At the worst, I've had to take off the damned head, turn it upside down, and shake it out.

Good thing that your bearings are good and there's no shavings in your oil.

Nice one. You'll get it all sorted for sure.

IamLa likes this.
post #92 of 111 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:15 PM
kickin' at the darkness

now that is a hell of a story..

if it makes you feel better IamLa, i lost a nut in my Raider S and decided to ride until it dropped. i'm sure it eventually did

then this year i dropped an allen key down the exact same spot!! lucky for moi a long magnet was just right to retrieve it.
I was not about to ride around in hopes it pops up without jamming itself in the middle of the shock

shit happens, i cant believe you found the shim!! thats hilarious

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, LV EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS remove, GYTR air, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc
HINSON Billet bskt, Barnett CF stack, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech adjust, ANNITORI RL, CLEVER WOLF CF tank cover, RIZOMA
grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows GYTR, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK

Last edited by bacchus40; 05-12-2019 at 07:18 PM.
post #93 of 111 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacchus40 View Post

now that is a hell of a story..

if it makes you feel better IamLa, i lost a nut in my Raider S and decided to ride until it dropped. i'm sure it eventually did

then this year i dropped an allen key down the exact same spot!! lucky for moi a long magnet was just right to retrieve it.
I was not about to ride around in hopes it pops up without jamming itself in the middle of the shock

shit happens, i cant believe you found the shim!! thats hilarious

Wow, you have dropsies just like me.

Got her all put back together, and she fired right up. Still sounds rough. I did, however, let her get up to temp while idling and checked the header temps and now they are all balanced. So that is good. I tried hooking up the new Throttle bodies sync tool, but of course the vacuum line it came with is too big, so hopefully I can get to that tonight, after getting the proper vacuum hose.
bacchus40 likes this.

Last edited by IamLa; 05-14-2019 at 03:54 PM.
post #94 of 111 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:57 PM
kickin' at the darkness

yep, i drop shit while working on the bike. I just try to aim away from the
engine and critical parts of the bike which are hard to reach.

to be honest, this is the reason i pulled the engine out of the bike to do valve check etc.

my excuse was that i was getting headwork done but i'm not crazy like some of the other guys on here.

I took the bike apart and once the engine is ready it will go back in there

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

Last edited by bacchus40; 05-14-2019 at 07:12 PM.
post #95 of 111 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

I tried the new four gauge TB syncing tool and quite frankly not impressed. U can dial in the gauges so they don't bounce and it seems like I had to turn the vacuum screw large amounts to get the gauges to move. With my DIY manometer small factions of turns were impactful. After messing with my DYI one more, I am pretty convinced that the vibration is a result of the TB being out of wack. Some of the changes that I am doing are, in fact, smoothing her out. The problem is that I don't seem to be able to balance her fully. Also, I think there is a vacuum leak somewhere because I ran the bike without those four little vacuum caps (by accident) at 6000+RPMs on the street with load, and then ran her the same way with the caps on and there was no difference in the feel at rpm.

Man I must be pissing off my neighbors messing with this loud ass bike. When I finally get her fixed, I will be handing out thank you cards to apologize.

Does anybody know the exact setting of the number one screw on the throttle bodies, the one you're not supposed to move because I moved it a little bit.. before I realized that you weren't supposed to move it. So now I'm in the process of making small incremental resets in the number one screw and in trying to balance the other ones.

Also, I sprayed some carb clean in and around the throttle bodies trying to find the vacuum leak that I think exists, but the engine had no response. Is there a better way to find the vacuum leak. Note: I was all set to use a little propane gas, got a hose taped to the end of my canister so that I could direct apply to those hard to reach places and ran out of propane in my torch...can u believe this shit. I am a series of unfortunate events!!

Last edited by IamLa; 05-20-2019 at 07:18 AM.
post #96 of 111 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 12:59 PM
I eat my R1

Wouldn't it be easier and cheaper to just get a used throttle body?

post #97 of 111 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

U maybe correct in that they are only $75 on eBay.
post #98 of 111 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:19 PM
kickin' at the darkness

uhmm.. you touched the one cylinder you were not supposed to touch?

not a good idea. the rest of 'em are supposed to sync up to that one. oops!

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

post #99 of 111 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:13 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooli View Post
This is what caught my eye. Who knows how the previous owner treated the bike?
Exactly - Only 4500 miles - One quarter mile at a time!

Although - seriously now, if it wasn't knocking previously - even slightly, and it just spins a bearing out of no where - that's a bit fishy. Chances are it lost oil pressure for a fraction of a second and that bearing grabbed. Why it did that is the big question. Usually its dirty oil, low oil pressure - things like that.

Makin' Ponies....
post #100 of 111 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 07:34 AM
para bellum

Send a message via AIM to Kangaroo Send a message via Yahoo to Kangaroo
Sad to see Yamaha ****ing up on what used to be a bullet proof design. Can it be that Italian bikes are now the go to models for reliability?

Brothers riding on...
Bandrews 10/11
Dieyoung69 11/10
Vman1300 3/09
Gawarrior 6/08
Elviswarrior 6/07
Crazyclimbr 3/07
K_flexxx 6/06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode