Retiring from the street, Track only? - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Yamaha YZF-R1 - R1M General Discussion General discussion area specific to the 2015 Yamaha R1M model. Please post all YZF-R1 R1M related topics in this section.

4Likes
  • 1 Post By Jyamaja18
  • 1 Post By GaryK
  • 1 Post By 901's_finest
  • 1 Post By 2muchbluE

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Garage
Retiring from the street, Track only?

Hey guys, I needs some help making a decision lol. I love riding (as we all obviously do), i have no problem riding the street except for the fact that the r1 really isn't that comfortable and I tend to give in to my speed demon. I've really been thinking of posting my factory fairings for sale and getting a set of track plastics and never going back on the street with it. I'm from wisconsin so our season is shorter so I'm not sure how many track days i could really get in a year. What really worries me is i'm going to go thru withdrawls during the in between time of track days. Any one have any experience with that? lol

The one thing that really has pushed me to track only is because i'm a dumbass...and got an OWI back in november. (And no it wasn't on the bike, riding keeps me from drinking!) My insurance hasn't ran my record YET so i'm still paying a cheap rate, but when they do i'll be dropped or rates will go way up, obviously. This has me thinking i should just jump ahead of the gun and take it off the street.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 03:37 PM
My R1 eats me.

I don't ride my 2018 R1M on the street anymore. Only track days now. Don't miss the street at all. Can't ride the bike the way it's supposed to be ridden on the street. Plus it isn't comfortable for long hauls your right. Much nicer taken it out and riding it hard all the time now. Don't have to worry about cops, idiots and dirt/water on the road!!
basketball00011 likes this.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Garage
Yah it really is not a fun bike on the street. To get it to the fun zone you're already speeding. I may have to just get a set of track plastics and be done with it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 06:25 AM
OUR12!

90% track now. To many 'road challenges' to go back to long sunday rides through the twisties. Plus the r1 gets shat mpg. Now I just ride it around the block to 'sweep out the cobwebs in the curves" and put fuel into it. It sucks, the time between track days, but riding on the street just squares off my tires that could be better used on track days.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Garage
you guys are really making this decision easier
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 01:41 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

I just switched my R1 to track only. I donít go through withdrawals. Itís nothing like the street because you are always aching to go fast and never being fulfilled or at least I wasnít. I switched to track for a year now and donít miss the street. I go balls to the wall per my standards and get my thrill out of the way once a month or twice a month. I havenít ridden since December and I am not itching idk maybe Iím different because I also had a son and I stay home to spend time with him. But yeah no regrets. I got street plastics and rear sets sitting in a box now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 05:11 PM
I eat my R1

Garage
you can try track days with street plastics for now if you want to test the waters. its definitely more fun on the track but i do miss putting around so now the M i use for street and i have found i am a lot calmer and riding is more relaxed i don't feel the need to try to go fast on the street because why bother. if you have limited track days and u miss a couple because of other plans or whatever it is a shitty feeling so maybe don't sell the street plastics quite yet

09 R1 black/gold SOLD

2015 R1M 007
2016 R1 Track
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 06:52 PM
Top Heavy

Best is if you can afford a dedicated trackbike and a streetbike.
Even though I prefer the track for most my riding, a put to get coffee or food with friends is nice now and then.
My R1M is my coffee getter and my PaniR is my trackbike.
Even for a coffee getter I enjoy the tight aggressive riding position of the R1 much more than anything more relaxed like the S1000RR.

2018 R1M
2016 PaniR
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 04:46 PM
My R1 is my Pacemaker

Garage
I went full track last year.. I had a 07 r6 track prepped w all I needed and kept my M for street until I decided to take her for some laps at a track day and that was the last time she ever was a street bike.. immediately after that TD I went full race bike on the M and sold the stock carbon fairings but I'm debating getting another M for the street as I do miss riding if not a M ill get a reg R1.. with my new work schedule I can do TD or Racing every weekend thru Sunday anymore so I don't want to cut back on my Mileage... you will love it as long as you can consistently make it to track days
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 09:23 PM
SuperbikeUnlimited.com

Garage
Quitters.

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk
tory ii likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Superbikeunlimited.com Ambassador
Superbikeunlimited.com PH#1-828-676-2222
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 05:29 PM
I eat my R1

I sold my R1M because I didnt feel it was a bike meant for the streets. I switched to a 1299s and love it a lot more for the street. I've recently gone back to the track now and wish I had my R1M (where it can be stretched out a lot more). I'll likely switch back over to the M for the track.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 04:47 AM
Twisty Roads for me!

IMO, I say do both. I will never give up street riding when you can make yearly trips down to Deals Gap and the roads around it. I have a total of 4 sportbikes, and they do both Track and Street duties. I believe the street is more about the adventure than going balls out like you can on the track since the track is between 1.5 miles to 5 miles, which is much easier to learn than highly technical roads. My 15 R1 is by far the most comfortable street bike that I ever owned, and the worst for street riding/track was my old 2011 S1000rr.

Stan.

My 07 mod's

Ohlins TTX-36, Ohlins 25mm front cart, Fastcard Gen III, Dynojet Ing module, Quick shifter, Akro Evo II, Speedohealer, Zumo 550 GPS, Pluig DB, Seat Cal, Gel seat, 520 kit, Steel brake lines, Hid 6000k lights high and low beams, Bridgestone BT-016R 120/70, and 190/55, Greg flush mount lights, LED tail light, Driven Gel grips, GTYR air filter, Passport 8500 Rader dector, HPC steering damper, Marchesini Wheels, Pazzo short levers, Vortex Rear sets..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode