2015+ R1 Akrapovic slip on opinions - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Yamaha YZF-R1 - R1M General Discussion General discussion area specific to the 2015 Yamaha R1M model. Please post all YZF-R1 R1M related topics in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:06 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

2015+ R1 Akrapovic slip on opinions

Hello from Sydney, Australia! I知 new to R1 ownership and new to this forum too. So far I知 absolutely loving my new R1 (blue 2016 model), which I purchased a little over a month ago now completely stock.
I知 looking to do the obvious modification of upgrading the lame stock exhaust in the near future starting off with the Akrapovic slip on.
For a full disclaimer, I completely understand that it痴 much better doing the セ system with the link pipe too, but unfortunately I don稚 have the time and budget to get both the link pipe and the required tune (The slip on alone retails for $1100-1200AUD and the link pipe is a similar cost too). Yes, I will probably eventually do the セ system sometime in the future but definitely not anytime soon.

For people who have ONLY put the Akrapovic slip on on their R1痴, how much of difference in terms of sound does it make alone? Were there any noticeable differences in performance too? I知 only curious to know how much of a difference JUST the slip on by itself makes (I know a セ or full system will clearly sound and perform much much better).

I understand there痴 other manufacturers like M4, graves, two brothers etc. out there that make great exhausts too, however I知 set on the Akrapovic as I believe it by far looks and sounds the best (this is just my opinion), plus it痴 much easier to purchase and get warranty on in Australia too.

Sorry for the wordy thread! Would love to hear your thoughts

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM
Unacceptable

Slip-on's really don't make that much of a difference, since the cat and exup valve do the majority of the muffling. As a matter of fact, take off your stock muffler and peer through it. It's a straight-through design.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 09:57 PM
My R1 eats me.

Look for videos on youtube for 2016 60th anniversary R1 - came stock with a ackra slip on. I would say the sound is 15% raspier.

I think you are making a wise decision - unless you have access to a experienced tuner and are willing to invest the time, money and effort to tune a 3/4 system (you may get poor mid range, fuel smells, spark plug fouling, go deaf, poor fuel economy etc - the scavenging is completely different without the EXUP)

Sent from my G8342 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Today, 04:06 AM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Here is mine with slipon only.
A bit darker sound but not much louder really

And here it is with cat removed, Quite loud i would say

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode