2016 60th Ann First ride..nice!!! - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
2015+ Yamaha R1 - R1M Test Ride Report Did you just test ride the new 2015 Yamaha YZF-R1 - R1M? Share your thoughts good or bad. A good place for potential owners to gather feedback.

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

2016 60th Ann First ride..nice!!!

Well today was the day....... Bike came in March and have been modding and just waiting to ride.
FINALLY, today was 50 degrees but windy. I said screw it, I'm going to do my first ride.I just put on a set of shorty levers, and had been itching to try the Graves exhaust/Tune as well.
Roads are still a bit sandy from winter, so took it easy, Mode C and did about 40 miles, up/down in RPM's to break in rings, never went over 7K.
The bike is awesome and I was pleasantly surprised how comfortable it is. The seating position, although race inspired, was actually OK, the seat was also OK. The rear suspension was a bit harsh, but still need to play with that a bit. ( I have been riding a 2013 675R full Ohlins race suspension, for the last couple of years, now that is uncomfortable )

Overall, really impressed, looking forward to beating on it in full race mode at the track in 3 weeks.

I did find quite a bit of popping on deceleration, yes, I have block offs and yes, they are installed correctly. Also noticed the idle a bit high.

Last edited by 60thannR1; 04-20-2016 at 03:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 02:27 PM
Super Duper Moderator

Garage
Did you flash the ECU yet? It will remove some of the decel popping but not all of it.

Oh and please never say blank offs again... they are block offs.

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
TEAM: SO SCARED NO LEAN

Greenstreak quote from Barber... "Woah... I have a log in my ass!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Godspeed to my fallen brothers - elviswarrior, Gawarrior, Vman1300
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 02:34 PM
The law is grey

SBU has confirmed that most bikes will exhibit some popping on decel, even with block off plates. Something like either they can use a flash that will result in no popping but less performance. Or a flash that is performance with some popping. For example, look at the motoamerica super bike R1's. They are all heavily modded and all of them still pop. Josh Hayes and Cameron Beaubier bikes are specifically what I am talking about here.

2015- Yamaha R1- Red/White
2016- Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS- Blue/Black
2016- ZX10R KRT ABS- Green/Black

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 02:37 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevap View Post
Did you flash the ECU yet? It will remove some of the decel popping but not all of it.

My bike used to pop like crazy on decel. Ever since the ECU flash, I have only heard it pop once and that was at decel on redline.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevap View Post

As per the post it has a Graves Tune installed, and I fixed that for ya, wouldn't want you to lose any sleep, them blank offs may chase you all night
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obijack View Post
SBU has confirmed that most bikes will exhibit some popping on decel, even with block off plates. Something like either they can use a flash that will result in no popping but less performance. Or a flash that is performance with some popping. For example, look at the motoamerica super bike R1's. They are all heavily modded and all of them still pop. Josh Hayes and Cameron Beaubier bikes are specifically what I am talking about here.
Read quite a few previous posts, seems to be the norm.
Agreed, If I can at least sound like Hayes/Beaubier, I'm Ok with it
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 08:58 PM
Greenfield, MN(55357)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuuuba_Steve View Post
My bike used to pop like crazy on decel. Ever since the ECU flash, I have only heard it pop once and that was at decel on redline.
09-14 are a different animal than the 15-16 regarding a flash and block-off plates to eliminate popping on decel. My '11 with Akra 3/4 exhaust had not popping or backfiring decel after the flash and block off plate install. My 15 still has it on decel with a flash, block off plates, and a custom dyno tune. Seems that it jus cannot be eliminated on the 15-16's.

-John

---------------------------------------------------------------
Click
to E-Mail me.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-20-2016, 09:08 PM
Banned

Mine literally sounds like fireworks when I let off the gas pop....pop....pop...pop booooom pop pop pop..... Pop pop
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 11:36 PM
Greenfield, MN(55357)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejman1000 View Post
Mine literally sounds like fireworks when I let off the gas pop....pop....pop...pop booooom pop pop pop..... Pop pop
Yup, and then like a 9mm being shot when you get back on the throttle!

-John

---------------------------------------------------------------
Click
to E-Mail me.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

I had the bike in C mode as it was first ride and popping was quite a bit. Yesterday, I was out and toggled between B and C, the popping is a whole lot less in B mode.
Going to try A today and see if it is even less.
Either way, loving the bike! That Graves exhaust is sweet!
Obijack likes this.

2016 Yamaha R1 60th Anniversary
Graves 3/4 exhaust,Graves Blockoff plates,Graves tune,GB covers,shorty levers,Lacomoto bellypan,Cox rad guards,woodcraft axle sliders,Yamaha frame sliders,Lightech chain adjusters,Driven fuelcap,stormtech tank pads,graphics by Drippin' Wet
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 05:11 AM
The law is grey

Glad you are loving the bike. I like your mods, very tasteful. You seem to know your way around a bike. You wouldn't happen to have a DB meter by chance? I would love to know what DB level the 3/4 graves exhaust is reaches. My local track DB level is 104.

2015- Yamaha R1- Red/White
2016- Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS- Blue/Black
2016- ZX10R KRT ABS- Green/Black
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 11:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeosnow View Post
Yup, and then like a 9mm being shot when you get back on the throttle!

-John
See that's the one thing mine doesn't do I never get a pop when getting back on the throttle
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obijack View Post
Glad you are loving the bike. I like your mods, very tasteful. You seem to know your way around a bike. You wouldn't happen to have a DB meter by chance? I would love to know what DB level the 3/4 graves exhaust is reaches. My local track DB level is 104.
Thanks for the compliment!, I do not have a decibel meter.
I am sure if you called Graves, they would give you the db level.
It is loud, but far from obnoxious

Graves 3/4 exhaust,Graves Blockoff plates,Graves tune,GB covers,shorty levers,Lacomoto bellypan,Cox rad guards,woodcraft axle sliders,Yamaha frame sliders,Lightech chain adjusters,Driven fuelcap,stormtech tank pads,graphics by Drippin' Wet
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Well, have 200 miles on now and wow, I love this thing.
The power is awesome, B is better for road/street, in my opinion.
The electronics are amazing, and I think I have the suspension dialed in, track time will tell in a couple of weeks
Brakes could be better, may do Brembos at least on the front

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 09:27 PM
Unacceptable

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60thannR1 View Post
Brakes could be better, may do Brembos at least on the front
Try quality aftermarket pads and good fluid first.

Dealerships don't always use the best brake fluid, and you also don't know how long that stuff was sitting around before they actually used it.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 10:07 PM
“Rhinestone Cowboy” MF Doom

Garage
The 60th would look better with gloss black wheels and a belly pan of course.

After all said and done, I like it.

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 01:34 AM
(insert witty statement here)

I picked up my 60th just last week. I noticed if definitely feels more track oriented than my 09, that I kept too. Had some lucky Washington state weather this past week... I was able to hit 575 miles a couple days ago and did the first oil change. The location of the filter is much appreciated especially since getting off that first filter was a PITA on the 09.

Hey OP, do you have any pics of your bike with the Lacomoto bellypan? I'm thinking about going that route myself after I get my 3/4 system installed.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by One2 View Post
The 60th would look better with gloss black wheels and a belly pan of course.

After all said and done, I like it.
agreed, BP done, wheels will get powder coated when tires get changed

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelJouster View Post
I picked up my 60th just last week. I noticed if definitely feels more track oriented than my 09, that I kept too. Had some lucky Washington state weather this past week... I was able to hit 575 miles a couple days ago and did the first oil change. The location of the filter is much appreciated especially since getting off that first filter was a PITA on the 09.

Hey OP, do you have any pics of your bike with the Lacomoto bellypan? I'm thinking about going that route myself after I get my 3/4 system installed.
here you go...and yes, I know, there shouldn't be a tank bag on it.

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 09:18 AM
“Rhinestone Cowboy” MF Doom

Garage
Don't you have to be very very careful when powder coating mag wheels?

I've read that they can corrode under the finish.

What I read could be wrong. It was from a forum member here. A reputable memeber though.

Let me know if you know anything about this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode