2016 ZX10R vs. 2016 R1? - Page 2 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
2015+ Yamaha R1 - R1M Versus The Competition Ask questions of Yamaha R1 Forum members about what the Yamaha YZF-R1 - R1M is like versus its competition. A great place for new motorcycle buyers to find out more about the Yamaha R1M.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 06:02 AM
Just happy to be here...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by APO2112 View Post
I have a 2016 ZX10R that I currently have in track only setup and will be racing Superstock next year. One thing about the ZX R1 is the fact that they are the most opposite bikes on the grid. The ZX makes a lap time from high corner speeds and blistering topend but you need to keep it up on the power, otherwise it's a bit of a dog. The R1 is a point and shoot bike and is a MONSTER off the apex.

From a racers perspective, the best bike on the grid is the one that is easiest to up to a winning pace. Kawasaki has the BEST supported bike on the grid. You can't beat the Kawasaki Race ECU setup. Nothing comes close. These bikes make over 200hp with a slipon, decat and a tune on race fuel. The electronics are better in stock form. The R1 has more adjust-ability between the electronic settings but as a whole, the stock system is more intrusive or abrupt than the ZX. I've pulled a 150+ mph wheelie on my Kawasaki and the anti wheel was soooo smooth that I never felt a loss in acceleration.

So it boils down to what type of (track) rider are you? Do you like high lean/high cornerspeed with a manic topend or do you want a beast off the apex that will get you from apex to apex with the most excitement?

Personally, I want the best racebike to compete. The R1 is too wild for my style of riding. I don't understand how to use the aggression of my '09 to make a decent lap time but my ZX10R is like a perfect fit for my temperament. It's truly an extension of my mentality.
Guess the only reason no one liked your post was because your comparing first hand experiance with the old R1..... Jeez Aaron read the OP's question.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

@trash_panda_338 follow me on instagram

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 06:46 AM
I eat my R1

Garage
@Banky As we've discussed at length, there's a lot wrong with how we are told to compare modern bikes these days.

With the current flock of bikes offered, there's nothing that's more of a waste of time, then a stock to stock comparison. The bikes off the showroom floor have been so restricted, muzzled or otherwise altered that you really aren't feeling the true nature of the machine at a factory demo ride.

Then there's the issue of the comparison videos. Look no further than the difference between MCN and Motorcycle.com, they both show some favoritism based on their groups "hive" mindset. MCN has a thing for the new CBR1000RR and Motorcycle.com loved the new R1 for the first couple years. This comes from the physical locations of these groups of riders, the Brits have had a thing for the Fireblade since it came out. Here in the US, we are so used to being shown how dominate the R1 is (Hayes/AMA), that this mentality spills into the comparison test performed on this side of the pond. Not that, these two groups don't make some seriously good arguments, its just that we are affected directly by the marketing money of Honda/Yamaha, even in these "non-bias" tests.

Finally, if we look at single riders review, that becomes very much a bias opinion based on his personality and physical stature. Like me, I don't like how I fit on the new R1. I like the BMW and the ZX10R better. Before you say it, yes rearsets can help, and there are tank shrouds that change ergos, seats, clipon blah blah blah....which further supports my position that stock to stock comparisons are a waste of time.

Here's the last food for thought regarding the OP's post:

This is graph of my 2016 ZX10R (201hp/86tq) vs a 2015 R1 (200hp/87tq) with similar mods and the same fuel (U4.4 oxygenated race gas). *From this graph*, the R1 looks more dominate because of the stronger midrange. However, we cannot tell the whole story from looking at power number through an RPM range. The ZX10 has STUPID short transmission but gets muzzled by factory sprockets that kills the feeling of power delivery. I'm using a -1/+2 (like 600s) and I still find the gearing very long at some tracks. That being said, when you keep the ZX10 up in the power (12-14k shift range with stock tranny), it's nearly unstoppable with the right rider.

Thank God, street comparisons are much simpler...I just wanna go fast hahaha! Can't we ride and make fun of each other?
Kevap and Banky like this.

“If you are always pushing at the limit you get a better feeling with the bike and give better information to the mechanics,” he says. “If I crashed 27 times, I was very close to crashing maybe 50 times! That gives me a feeling with the bike – you understand many things, what crashes you can save and so on.”-MM93

post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 11:09 PM
kickin' at the darkness

@APO2112

i completely agree.. stock vs stock comparisons are a complete bore to me; been this way for 10 years

i'm no idiot, guaranteed to mod the shit out of either bike before i really ride it anyways so
what do i care what the bean counters have to say; wont be staying stock for long

2009 YZF-R1 xPlanker

DJ PCV, AT200 & POD300, LV EVOII SBK/ARROW SS HEADER, GRAVES STACKS & AIS remove, GYTR air, ECUnleashed, SHORAI, YOYODYNE sc
HINSON Billet bskt, Barnett CF stack, ASV clutch perch, RK520, JT 15T/44T, Lithtech adjust, ANNITORI RL, CLEVER WOLF CF tank cover, RIZOMA
grips, APEX risers, CRG Arrows GYTR, SHOGUN sliders, GBR covers, GYTR db, Watsens, 6000k HID, RACETECH springs, RACETECH G3-LD, OHLINs FPK
CL SBK5/RX3, HEL SS lines, Accossato Radial 19x18, Motodynamic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode