Clutch Cable popped off! - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Mechanical / Help This area to for help in the areas of, engine, carbs, transmission, suspension, mounting etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 08:56 AM Thread Starter
I eat my R1

Clutch Cable popped off!

Sitting in relativly heavy traffic today, in the center of 3 lanes, when the light turned green. Grabbed the clutch to shift into first and herd a POP! and had no cluch lever pressure anymore. I signal to the 30 cars behind me I'm not moving as the lane to my right clears. The nice cager behind me let me push to the side of the road before she went around me. At this point I just knew the clutch cable had broke and I was missing school today and would need a tow. Upon further examination I saw that it had just popped off the small lever beside the clutch on the side of the bike. Adjusted the lever to give me enough slack to get it back on, re-adjusted the lever and was on my way.

This ever happen to anyone else?

2003 LE Yamaha R6 - Stolen/Totaled

2005 Yamaha R1 - Black... Not Raven
Graves Velocity Stacks / Graves Block Off Plates / PCIII / Speed-o-Healer / K&N Air Filter / Gutted Cat / A&R Race Baffles / 4500k DDM HID / ASV Shorty Levers / Puig Double Bubble / Powder-coated Pegs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 09:00 AM
I eat my R1

you probably had too much slack on the cable to begin with, but no, I never had this problem. Good thing you were at a light and not doing 75 on the freeway.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 09:32 AM
↓ dn ʎɐʍ sıɥʇ ↓

I've had the metal end that sits in the lever break away from the wires but never had it come off the cover.

-Ryan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 08:53 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

When I took motorcycle classes they showed us how to solder the wire part to the end part. I never knew they were just soldered with lead. It's a little sketchy I think but apparently the norm.

CURRENT BIKES:
71 CT70H (rider)
75 RD350 (fully restored rider)
74 RD250 (project bike)
09 R1 (holy shit!)

PREVIOUS BIKES

96 CBR600
07 VROD NIGHTROD (made the dealer take it back, f'ing junk broke at 50 miles)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 09:21 PM
I MUST BREAK YOU

there should be a metal clip on the tip of the actuator arm that opens/closes to hold the clutch cable in place. I think u might be missing that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode