crap.. throttle bodies popped off of engine.. how to fix?? :( - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Mechanical / Help This area to for help in the areas of, engine, carbs, transmission, suspension, mounting etc

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to adamgeek
Angry crap.. throttle bodies popped off of engine.. how to fix?? :(

so.. in a nutshell, my throttle bodies connect to the head via these 1-2" long rubber tubes with clamps on them.

well, the throttle bodies popped off..

and i can't shove them back on with the clamps tight. and i can't see how to get an allen wrench down to tighten the clamps if i loosen them and put the throttle bodies back in place.

only thing i can think of is dropping the motor. help??!

anyone??

i know this has happened to one guy before who accidentally put diesel in his R1.. gonna try to find the thread and PM him..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to adamgeek
here is one of the threads.. he said he just "tightened everything back up" and it was fine, but i can't see way at ALL to get a wrench or even a finger near where the clamps tighten..

help???

https://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showt...ghlight=diesel

i will post pics of needed..
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 10:22 PM
WFSR************

there are allen drivers that are quite long, I used one of these before, mechanic's advice

Clusterificationship

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 11:15 PM
2 wheels are better than 4.

You can either get an extended Allen wrench like what lil R! recommended or you can take off your tank and air box and use a little one by squeezing your hands in there - that is how I have done it two separate times now. I really should get the longer wrench it would cut maintenance times in half when working with the throttle bodies.

Good luck bro.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 09:02 AM
WFSR************

Quote:
Originally posted by Liv2Ride
You can either get an extended Allen wrench like what lil R! recommended or you can take off your tank and air box and use a little one by squeezing your hands in there - that is how I have done it two separate times now. I really should get the longer wrench it would cut maintenance times in half when working with the throttle bodies.

Good luck bro.
I tired your description beofre, it was a pain ...a big one too

Clusterificationship

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 09:19 PM
I eat my R1

This is what works best to pull of the carbs on my 00' R1. Worth every penny...

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/pro_d...re&dir=catalog

2000 R1 for sale. Clean title
Los Angeles 5,500-
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-05-2003, 09:29 PM
WFSR************

actually there are just drivers that are at least !.5 foot long..you don't need tbhe whole seet, jusyt a long driver that is it...cost around $10-15

Clusterificationship

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 06:47 PM
My R1 eats me.

Send a message via Yahoo to isagani
I had the same problem and same headaches as described by the others. First thing I did was take the rubber couplers and cleaned them really good with carb cleaner so they were'nt oily anymore. Then I attached them to top of the manifold and tightened the lower screws. (easy without the carbs getting in the way). I then took a little bit of WD-40, sprayed it on my finger, then swabbed the inside of the rubber sleeves so they'd slip on easier. I then positioned the carbs over the holes and rocked it back and forth till they slipped all the way down into the rubber sleeves. Then using the long T handled allen wrenches I tightened the remaining four allen screws. No getting around it, tightening those screws is a total bitch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode