Understanding 15-16 R1 YRC Settings - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
2015+ Yamaha R1 - R1M Reviews Write a review of your new Yamaha R1M here for everyone to read! Be sure to detail what you love, what you don't like, and what changes you would make! Reviews may also include other known motorcycle publications or portals.

15Likes
  • 7 Post By 8thvision
  • 1 Post By warrennorton
  • 1 Post By 8thvision
  • 3 Post By 8thvision
  • 1 Post By elevens
  • 2 Post By SuperSniper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Come Fly with me

Garage
Understanding 15-16 R1 YRC Settings

An Easy to understand explanation for each YRC setting in your new R1. (non-ERS equipped model)

I have a few buddies that still don't fully understand what the settings do so I compiled this for anyone that has difficulty understand the various rider aids/settings for their new R1.

The settings

PWR: Power.

This bike is equipped with a "fly-by-wire" throttle. This means turning the grip does not actually open the throttle.

As the grip is twisted the bike determines how far to open the throttle based on the PWR setting the rider has selected.

PWR1:
This is the most "aggressive" setting. In this setting the throttle will open quickly with a very fine twist ratio.
This setting is known for being "jerky" as even experienced riders will over accelerate and decelerate.
With some practice you can control this setting smoothly within a reasonable amount of time however it is very demanding for street riding.
This setting has access to the full range of throttle.

PWR2
This setting is slightly smoother than PWR1. Very similar to PWR1 with the same powercurve, requiring slightly more throttle twist in the low end creating a smoother response.
For the average rider this setting is still somewhat "jerky" in leisurely street use.
This setting has access to the full range of throttle.

PWR3
This setting is noticeably relaxed in comparison to the first 2.
It is recommended for street use allowing the rider to smoothly navigate traffic while still having access to all of the bikes power
This Setting has access to the full range of throttle.

PWR4
This setting is the only setting with limited power.
In this setting there is substantial amount of Twist to open ratio, meaning the bike will not accelerate quickly without almost completely turning the throttle.
This setting has limited access to throttle range.
twisting the grip all the way will not fully open the throttle in this setting.

Please note: With the exception of PWR4 all modes have the same "power" with altered throttle response.
This system in unaffected by Lean or Lift angles.

TCS: variable Traction Control System.

The traction control on this bike is very similar to a car. The bike monitors Tire rotation, when either tire begins to loose traction the bike adjusts the power until traction is regained. something we could also do just the bike can do it several thousand times a second faster than us.

The TCS has 9 settings setting
the higher the number the more "intervention" is applied. this means that the rider effectively able to dile in how much they want the bike to control the throttle when riding in conditions with limited grip or racing.

On Rainey days it is preferable to have a high setting as the bike can effectively maintain grip by adjusting power output rapidly over short periods of time traction is lost, allowing the rider to focus more on external threats

TCS is effected by Lean angle, meaning the higher degree of Lean the more intervention is applied.

SCS: Slide Control System.

The SCS is one of this bikes defining characteristics.
It regulates engine power when a slide is detected, something that you as a rider can do as well only the bike can do this much faster and more accurately.

On track allowing the rider to navigate turns and corners without intermittently adjusting the throttle at higher angles/speed to maintain grip.

On road it gives the ride more confidence in less than perfect conditions while turning allowing the ride to focus more on external threats.

Please note that this setting will not prevent you from falling from a slide.

The bike cannot control your driving, too much confidence going into a turn can still cause a fall.

The SCS system works in conjunction with the TCS, if you turn the TCS off you will also turn the SCS off.

SCS has 4 level settings; Off, 1, 2, and 3. Level 1 providing the LEAST amount of "intervention" and level 3 providing the greatest amount of "intervention".

The SCS is Effected by Lean angle, meaning the higher degree of lean detected the more intervention is applied.

LCS: Launch Control System.

The LCS helps a rider achieve a faster and smoother launch from a complete stop.

It will limit engine RPM while the throttle is held open. Under hard acceleration the LCS works with the TCS and LIF to prevent the rear wheel from slipping and the front wheel from lifting off the ground.

This allows the rider to continue holding the throttle completely open for maximum acceleration.

The LCS has 3 settings Off, 1, and 2. like other settings 1 provides less intervention and 2 provides more intervention.

Altering the levels works very well when changing other settings that Directly relate to the LCS, for example if you set LIF setting to 1, you may turn LCS to 2, or vice versa.

This grants the rider the ability to balance the settings to cater to their riding style.

When using the LCS it is necessary to enable it using the "MODE" button prior to Launching.
While "ON" the LCS symbol will appear GREY on the screen, and WILL NOT function until enabled. When activated it will appear WHITE signifying the system is ready for launch.

Please note. While the LCS is a great tool aiding experts and novices alike, it is still possible to damage/wear the clutch from improper operation.

The LCS is unaffected by Lean or Lift angles.

QSS: Quick Shift System.

The QSS allows the rider to UP-shift without using the clutch lever.
Practically necessary on track, this feature is also very useful on road.

when used properly it will create a smooth frictionless shift virtually eliminating wear and stress on the clutch.

QSS should only be used while accelerating with a suggested minimum of 2000 RPM's.

The QSS has Three settings; Off, 1, and 2.

QSS 1 Will cause faster shifts, this is preferable under hard acceleration with few to no complete stops.

QSS 2 Will cause Smoother shifts, this is useful at slower speeds or "street" use, particularly when driving on roads that require the rider to slow or stop often.

The QSS is the only rider aid Unaffected by any other setting, turning QSS off will not effect any other settings, nor will it be effected by turning off other systems.

This system is also unaffected by Lean or Lift angles.

LIF: Lift Control System.

The LIF system Minimizes the rate and distance the front wheel will lift off the road under hard acceleration.

Once the bike detects front wheel lift, it regulates engine power output to slow the lift while still allowing the rider to accelerate quickly.

This is very useful to prevent too much lift on track both when launching and extreme acceleration out of a corner.

On road this system will effectively prevent wheelies, however allow for quicker acceleration if necessary.

LIF system has four settings; Off, 1, 2, and 3.

Similar to the other aid systems, setting 1 provides the least amount of "intervention" and 3 provides the most amount of intervention.

The higher the setting the slower and lower the tire will lift.

This system is also regulated by angle meaning the more lift is achieved the more intervention is applied.

Notes;

Its is important to remember the bike will not allow "Mode" changes while in motion, however in motion you are still able to freely change the values of PWR (when idling), TCS, and SCS. in whichever mode you're currently in.

The R1M and ERS equipped models have more rider aids including a logging system which collects very useful data during a ride for the rider to review after.

This review is based on a NON-flashed, factory stock 2015 R1.

Any comments, corrections, or further analysis is welcome

Hope this helps.

Last edited by 8thvision; 12-08-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 07:46 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Very informative! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
8thvision likes this.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 07:52 PM

I wanna try setting the LIF to 1 and TCS to 2 on PWR 1 settings

I believe the factory settings for LIF is 2 and for TCS is 3 on PWR 1 mode

What would you think the advantages and disadvantages would be?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Come Fly with me

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrennorton View Post
I wanna try setting the LIF to 1 and TCS to 2 on PWR 1 settings

I believe the factory settings for LIF is 2 and for TCS is 3 on PWR 1 mode

What would you think the advantages and disadvantages would be?

Theoretically with LIF 1 having the lowest possible lift intervention it should allow just a little more acceleration then the higher settings. TCS set to 3 out of 9 is also minimizing how much throttle your bike is managing for you. That with a pwr 1 setting.

This sounds to me like you're trying to get more off line accel while still getting a small cushion of traction control.
I found the TCS can be pretty serious even on its lowest setting once your cresting 40 degree lean it becomes much more aggressive.

The YCC addon will tell you exactly whats happening but if you want to "feel" the differences try spending the day at a large (empty) lot. You can hold a large circle and practice varying angles of lean at a much slower pace. run a few circles, change settings repeat.
warrennorton likes this.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 08:02 AM

Thanks so much 8th vision! Appreciate it ... But if you're saying it could be dangerous at higher speeds pushing the bike with street/track sport tires (Metzeler Racetec K3's). Then I'll just leave it as is on TCS 3.
How about setting LIF control on 1? Does that also control rear wheel lift with heavy braking?
I used to own a CBR1000RR without any electronic aids with Race tires (Pirelli SC2's). I would control everything. But then again this '15 R1 has about 20hp more. Hmmm

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Come Fly with me

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrennorton View Post
Thanks so much 8th vision! Appreciate it ... But if you're saying it could be dangerous at higher speeds pushing the bike with street/track sport tires (Metzeler Racetec K3's). Then I'll just leave it as is on TCS 3.
How about setting LIF control on 1? Does that also control rear wheel lift with heavy braking?
I used to own a CBR1000RR without any electronic aids with Race tires (Pirelli SC2's). I would control everything. But then again this '15 R1 has about 20hp more. Hmmm

LIF uses the 6 axis IMU to regulate throttle, it wont effect rear lift under heavy braking.
The UBS (Unified braking system) is responsible for that. it regulates how much pressure the front and rear calipers are getting.
The ABS does this too however the ABS uses wheel speed sensors to prevent lock up, the UBS uses applied brake pressure and the IMU. Or at least that's the idea based on information readily available to us.
elevens, warrennorton and Juantwo like this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 12:30 PM
I eat my R1

Good summary. Wish it was around 6 months ago when my bike was brand new!
8thvision likes this.

'15 R1M
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Come Fly with me

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevens View Post
Good summary. Wish it was around 6 months ago when my bike was brand new!
Thanks, happy it helped.

I posted this back in december, just this was more of a simplified introduction.
That being said most of the members on here already knew what the settings were long before I owned my R1 so this
didn't get many views.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2016, 08:54 AM

The TCS can in fact be switched between 1-9 on the fly without closing the throttle. PWR and SCS can be changed on the fly as long as the throttle is closed. Very handy.
JJtard and 8thvision like this.

The bike is faster than I am...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2016, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Come Fly with me

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSniper View Post
The TCS can in fact be switched between 1-9 on the fly without closing the throttle. PWR and SCS can be changed on the fly as long as the throttle is closed. Very handy.
Thank you for this, I noted it but forgot to update.
Fixed.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 09:18 AM
gkk
My R1 eats me.

thanks 8thvision! this helps!!

just got my '16 R1 last week and also had a s1000rr just for this weekend. I was comparing both. The throttle response on s1000rr seemed much smoother to me on both "race" and "sport" mode. So I was trying to figure out how to adjust R1 settings.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 09:55 AM
My R1 eats me.

I have just got my new 2017 R1M and its brilliant apart from the Akrapovic can being too quiet which I will be replacing with an Austin Racing one , this review is excellent and has made it very easy to navigate the menu, BIG thanks for that.
I tend to leave most of the settings in position 1 for road use and it growls along just fine, Ride Safe
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 06:34 AM
My R1 eats me.

Very informative and helpful ... Thanks a million .. I do really want to try many settings but the only thing i changed was the PWR ... I am afraid of setting the bike on different settings and that would make me fall or something.

So if im seeking more leaning angel, do you suggest a specific change or its just me i can lean as much as i want ?
Thanks again
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 11:04 AM
2016 R1

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji View Post
Very informative and helpful ... Thanks a million .. I do really want to try many settings but the only thing i changed was the PWR ... I am afraid of setting the bike on different settings and that would make me fall or something.

So if im seeking more leaning angel, do you suggest a specific change or its just me i can lean as much as i want ?

Thanks again

Do a track day if you havenít. Best way to improve your riding, no amount of settings on the bike will make you a better rider.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 02:41 PM
My R1 eats me.

You are absolutely right n I am aware of that ... n that’s why I asked if there’s anything we can do to increase the leaning angle as I was afraid that some settings might prevent me from getting to my best angle... Thanks 🙂
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode