Brakes or Fork respring? - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Yamaha R1 - R1M Suspension Setup, Tires, and Wheels Discuss the Yamaha R1M suspension setups you like most, what tires you are running and other related components.

4Likes
  • 2 Post By skinnytire
  • 1 Post By Doug68
  • 1 Post By Doug68

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Garage
Brakes or Fork respring?

Hey everyone. I got an 18 r1. I have about 3500 miles on it and am going to take it to the track a few times this year. I'm about 245 pounds (tall, but could lose some weight ) So i know i need to respring the forks for my weight, but I also absolutely hate the brakes. I don't want to stick the money into abs delete quite yet so I was going to just put on some Veserah RJL SS's for now. My question is, do I waste my money on brake pads now, or should I spend the money on getting racetech to respring my forks? They quoted me about $415.

Thanks!
Brandon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 03:11 PM
My R1 eats me.

Garage
I would say the best option would be to do both the re-spring and change the pads if possible. Even as a ďevery now and thenĒ trackday rider, youíll appreciate the new springs... and so will your bike. As far as the pads, you canít go wrong with proven opinions and info... I would do them as well for peace of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bsgesch and basketball00011 like this.

busa got junk
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 04:29 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Garage
Springs for sure.
Make the brakes better and you'll just bottom the fork and risk coming off as a result.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
basketball00011 likes this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Garage
Thanks guys. I'll do springs first. I guess I just needed the extra push lol. It pretty difficult to do spring myself? Im an auto mechanic by trade, just never messed with building shocks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 05:41 PM
I eat my R1

I did the pads on my 17R1M first, then I put the Brembo master cyl on. The pads helped a lot , like 35 % better. The master almost made it Ducati like. With the new corsa corta master the lever doesnít get pulled half way or more like stock master.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 06:57 PM
Just made this great wheelie.. did you see it?!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketball00011 View Post
Thanks guys. I'll do springs first. I guess I just needed the extra push lol. It pretty difficult to do spring myself? Im an auto mechanic by trade, just never messed with building shocks.

With a bench, vise and the tools I expect that you have it you're most of the way there.
You do need a couple of special tools to compress the fork spring and hold it there whilst you take off the fork cap.

I made my own, easily enough. Here's what the pro tools look like...

https://goo.gl/images/vdMnAk

basketball00011 likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug68 View Post
With a bench, vise and the tools I expect that you have it you're most of the way there.
You do need a couple of special tools to compress the fork spring and hold it there whilst you take off the fork cap.

I made my own, easily enough. Here's what the pro tools look like...

https://goo.gl/images/vdMnAk

Interesting. May have to attempt it. My buddys dad does own a bobcat/powersport dealer so im sure I could get help if needed.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 12:17 AM
I eat my R1

Garage
there is videos on changing the springs. the trick is getting the oil exactly right theres a special tool that dips into the fork an adjustable amount of mm's to get the fluid height right. i would do springs first, bottoming out the forks when hard braking turns into a disaster with the smallest bumps, and you can always add a finger to the brake lever till you get pads. if you take the forks out yourself and take them into the shop that should save you an hour of labour? should be about enough for you to grab the pads in budget and install yourself?

09 R1 black/gold SOLD

2015 R1M 007
2016 R1 Track
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode