Pacman1520's 2017 R1 SuperBike Build - Page 4 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Yamaha R1 + R1M Garage Space Share your Yamaha R1M builds and stories in here.

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2019, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
WERA #9

Garage
I'm going to get a fork potentiometer as well but all existing brackets are for Ohlins forks and I'm still running stock fork tubes with GP Suspension cartridges. So I'll need to get a custom bracket made first.

WERA #9

Sponsored By:
-Five Six Two Motorsports
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-GP Suspension
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Superbike Unlimited

-CT Racing/Pirelli

-Matrix Concepts

-GoPro Cameras

-Amsoil

-Spy Optic

-VortexEK Racing

-Shorai

-Rokform

-Engine Ice

-Ogio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2019, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
WERA #9

Garage
Here's a pro tip O learned over the weekend. If you're running a datalogger like mine, the AIM Evo4S, make sure you disconnect it from the bike in between uses. It drains the battery even when not in use. Cost me a whole days worth of practice this weekend at the races in Las Vegas

WERA #9

Sponsored By:

-GP Suspension

-Superbike Unlimited

-CT Racing/Pirelli

-Matrix Concepts

-GoPro Cameras

-Amsoil

-Spy Optic

-VortexEK Racing

-Shorai

-Rokform

-Engine Ice

-Ogio
Old 03-26-2019, 01:50 AM
opr
My R1 eats me.

Yes power to plug that goes to AIM comes directly from battery. You need to change it to switched power so AIM would shutdown with bike. Also are you using CAN_2015 in AIM config? There is also ftecu can protocol available that has 73 datalogger channels comparing 33 that comes from Yamaha CAN_2015.

Old 03-27-2019, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
WERA #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by opr View Post
Yes power to plug that goes to AIM comes directly from battery. You need to change it to switched power so AIM would shutdown with bike. Also are you using CAN_2015 in AIM config? There is also ftecu can protocol available that has 73 datalogger channels comparing 33 that comes from Yamaha CAN_2015.
I don't know what any of that means lol.

WERA #9

Sponsored By:

-GP Suspension

-Superbike Unlimited

-CT Racing/Pirelli

-Matrix Concepts

-GoPro Cameras

-Amsoil

-Spy Optic

-VortexEK Racing

-Shorai

-Rokform

-Engine Ice

-Ogio
Old 03-27-2019, 10:53 AM
opr
My R1 eats me.

Maybe picture will help. Picture on left using AIM "stock" preset for R1 (33channels available to log with EVO4S). Picture on right using ftecu custom CAN protocol file (73channels available to log with EVO4S). Stock preset channels don't actually tell too much about bikes electronics (TCS/LIFT/SCS etc.)

About power. Use from switched power source not directly from battery. It will start and stop with bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	evo4s.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	997001  
Old 03-27-2019, 02:08 PM
I eat my R1

This might be a bit harsh, but... I'm going to tell you what your data (once you get it working) will tell you. You are fairly abrupt on the controls, brake, throttle and bars. A little more chill and zen while riding and possibly some yoga/meditation might help you out Also lots more seat time working on control inputs.
Old 03-27-2019, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
WERA #9

Garage
Quote:
Maybe picture will help. Picture on left using AIM "stock" preset for R1 (33channels available to log with EVO4S). Picture on right using ftecu custom CAN protocol file (73channels available to log with EVO4S). Stock preset channels don't actually tell too much about bikes electronics (TCS/LIFT/SCS etc.)

About power. Use from switched power source not directly from battery. It will start and stop with bike.
Ok I'll look into switching the ECU modes when I get home. Thanks bro

WERA #9

Sponsored By:

-GP Suspension

-Superbike Unlimited

-CT Racing/Pirelli

-Matrix Concepts

-GoPro Cameras

-Amsoil

-Spy Optic

-VortexEK Racing

-Shorai

-Rokform

-Engine Ice

-Ogio
Old 03-27-2019, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
WERA #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolFeYeZ View Post
This might be a bit harsh, but... I'm going to tell you what your data (once you get it working) will tell you. You are fairly abrupt on the controls, brake, throttle and bars. A little more chill and zen while riding and possibly some yoga/meditation might help you out Also lots more seat time working on control inputs.
Not too harsh at all. I already know my throttle inputs are a bit jerky and that's definitely something I'll be working on.

WERA #9

Sponsored By:

-GP Suspension

-Superbike Unlimited

-CT Racing/Pirelli

-Matrix Concepts

-GoPro Cameras

-Amsoil

-Spy Optic

-VortexEK Racing

-Shorai

-Rokform

-Engine Ice

-Ogio
Old 04-01-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
WERA #9

Garage
Updates!!

Well obviously my race didn't go as planned. Dead battery prevented me from practicing in the morning, which meant I had to practice during the race. Ended up crashing out on lap 4. Damage to the bike wasn't that. Broken MRA windscreen, light fiberglass damage, and a broken front fender. Was able to get the bike repaired in time for my sponsor obligated appearance at Del Amo Motorsports in Redondo Beach. Had a great time talking bike stuff with people and getting a few signed up for a trackday Del Amo is hosting at Chuckwalla. I had them bring me a stock R1 to help show the potential from stock to full race bike. The guys got so much positive feedback from the customers that I was able to walk out with a brand new AGV Corsa helmet!

Not quite race ready, but definitely looking the part!

Tried testing out the AIM Datalogger but for some reason it didn't record anything. Still working on that

As you can see, only minor damage to the bike after the high side crash

I was practicing learning to fly. Didn't stick the landing though lol

WERA #9

Sponsored By:

-GP Suspension

-Superbike Unlimited

-CT Racing/Pirelli

-Matrix Concepts

-GoPro Cameras

-Amsoil

-Spy Optic

-VortexEK Racing

-Shorai

-Rokform

-Engine Ice

-Ogio
Old 04-01-2019, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
WERA #9

Garage
Sponsor Appearance

Here's some photos from my appearance on Saturday. So much fun telling people about the appeal of riding on a track versus riding on the streets. I even used my crash photo to convince them. If you crash in the canyons, you're waiting at least 45 minutes for an ambulance, whereas on the track, I only had to wait 5 minutes (ambulance has to wait until all the bikes are off the track).

My setup for the day

The bike was mostly repaired in time for the event minus the fiberglass repair

Used the occasion to talk about the importance of wearing proper riding gear as well

Having race trophies helps validate your opinions when talking to street riders. It means you at least kinda know what you're doing out there lol

Me picking out my new AGV Corsa helmet!

WERA #9

Sponsored By:

-GP Suspension

-Superbike Unlimited

-CT Racing/Pirelli

-Matrix Concepts

-GoPro Cameras

-Amsoil

-Spy Optic

-VortexEK Racing

-Shorai

-Rokform

-Engine Ice

-Ogio
Old 04-01-2019, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
WERA #9

Garage
Next up I'll be installing the new EvolTechnology rear suspension linkage (the Pirelli version). Should be easy enough

WERA #9

Sponsored By:

-GP Suspension

-Superbike Unlimited

-CT Racing/Pirelli

-Matrix Concepts

-GoPro Cameras

-Amsoil

-Spy Optic

-VortexEK Racing

-Shorai

-Rokform

-Engine Ice

-Ogio
Old 04-01-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
WERA #9

Garage
I'm also ready for the next couple of races with my new slicks having arrived today. Looking forward to some Las Vegas redemption!

WERA #9

Sponsored By:

-GP Suspension

-Superbike Unlimited

-CT Racing/Pirelli

-Matrix Concepts

-GoPro Cameras

-Amsoil

-Spy Optic

-VortexEK Racing

-Shorai

-Rokform

-Engine Ice

-Ogio
Old 04-01-2019, 05:48 PM
I eat my R1

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman1520 View Post
Tried testing out the AIM Datalogger but for some reason it didn't record anything. Still working on that
Have you gone into the AIM Race Studio software on the computer and configured the 4S? I might be able to walk you through if you haven't.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
WERA #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbnut View Post
Quote:
Have you gone into the AIM Race Studio software on the computer and configured the 4S? I might be able to walk you through if you haven't.
Yea I configured it in the software. I originally had it set to record once it hit 8k rpms and 6mph. I’ve since set it to the default of turning on at 850rpms. I tested it for a quick 2 seconds cuz I had the exhaust off and it seemed to record. Waiting to install the shock sensor cable and new battery before I do another test

WERA #9

Sponsored By:

-GP Suspension

-Superbike Unlimited

-CT Racing/Pirelli

-Matrix Concepts

-GoPro Cameras

-Amsoil

-Spy Optic

-VortexEK Racing

-Shorai

-Rokform

-Engine Ice

-Ogio
Old 04-02-2019, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
WERA #9

Garage
Quote:

I tried to run the power cable to the ignition switch and it burned the ECU connector cable. Not sure how. Can you provide any insight on what i should use to power the unit? Also, I couldn't find the FlashTune CAN protocol in the ECU area. Am I looking in the wrong place?

WERA #9

Sponsored By:

-GP Suspension

-Superbike Unlimited

-CT Racing/Pirelli

-Matrix Concepts

-GoPro Cameras

-Amsoil

-Spy Optic

-VortexEK Racing

-Shorai

-Rokform

-Engine Ice

-Ogio
Old 04-03-2019, 01:30 PM
opr
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
I tried to run the power cable to the ignition switch and it burned the ECU connector cable. Not sure how. Can you provide any insight on what i should use to power the unit? Also, I couldn't find the FlashTune CAN protocol in the ECU area. Am I looking in the wrong place?
There are many power sources that are switched but I would use same that powers CCU. Fuse name is backup. Optimal would be buying plug and wiring it so that you only take 12+ and GND from connector that goes to CCU.

You need to download CAN protocol file from ftecu site and then import it to Race Studio 3 (Preferences/Advanced/Import Can Protocol). First google result points here.
https://ftecu.com/support/kb/faq.php?id=56

I have slightly different .xc1 filename that I downloaded while ago but I guess it's updated since then
Old 04-03-2019, 02:47 PM
I eat my R1

Garage
I just tried to import that .xc1 file into race studio to use that channel set and it would not import. Not sure why.

Old 04-03-2019, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
WERA #9

Garage
Quote:
There are many power sources that are switched but I would use same that powers CCU. Fuse name is backup. Optimal would be buying plug and wiring it so that you only take 12+ and GND from connector that goes to CCU.

You need to download CAN protocol file from ftecu site and then import it to Race Studio 3 (Preferences/Advanced/Import Can Protocol). First google result points here.

I have slightly different .xc1 filename that I downloaded while ago but I guess it's updated since then
I just downloaded the file. I'll try and upload once I get home

WERA #9

Sponsored By:

-GP Suspension

-Superbike Unlimited

-CT Racing/Pirelli

-Matrix Concepts

-GoPro Cameras

-Amsoil

-Spy Optic

-VortexEK Racing

-Shorai

-Rokform

-Engine Ice

-Ogio
Old 04-04-2019, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
WERA #9

Garage
Quote:

I uploaded he file to Race Studio 3 and it loaded fine. I'll transmit it to the bike to make everything works.

Also, some of my buttons on my BSD button pods stopped working. Any ideas why?

WERA #9

Sponsored By:

-GP Suspension

-Superbike Unlimited

-CT Racing/Pirelli

-Matrix Concepts

-GoPro Cameras

-Amsoil

-Spy Optic

-VortexEK Racing

-Shorai

-Rokform

-Engine Ice

-Ogio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.