latest Cf project - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Yamaha R1 + R1M Garage Space Share your Yamaha R1M builds and stories in here.

3Likes
  • 1 Post By cfaddict
  • 2 Post By Kevap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Cabin Fever!

Garage
latest Cf project

I love the look and idea behind the tank extenders, and agree with the need after having my time at the track, and I also like making my own parts when I can, and I cant wait for the final product, a little twist on the cf I recently discovered and I'm excited to see how it turns out. here is the progress pics so far.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Hooli likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 03:11 AM
Super Duper Moderator

Garage
Tank shroud... looking good so far. Congrats!

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
TEAM: SO SCARED NO LEAN

Greenstreak quote from Barber... "Woah... I have a log in my ass!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Godspeed to my fallen brothers - elviswarrior, Gawarrior, Vman1300
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Cabin Fever!

Garage
almost done...actually looking like something now.

I need to trim, block sand, finish the filler opening..and clear but check it out...

camo carbon tank shroud..

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:55 AM
I eat my R1

Wow, thats super cool looking!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 10:12 AM
Super Duper Moderator

Garage
Oh yeah, nice... make me one!

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 01:35 PM
Hope is what makes us Human.

You should be ashamed of yourself! Making a FAKE carbon Fiber tank...

Not every legend is a myth, some are flesh and blood. Some legends walk among us, but they aren’t born, they’re built. Legends are made from iron & sweat, mind and muscle, blood and vision and victory. Legends are champions, they grow, they win, they conquer.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Cabin Fever!

Garage
whats fake about it? sorry I cant afford an autoclave to make dry carbon with pre preg parts...I forgot my F1 sponsors and backing in my other garage.... but it's real cf with a fiberglass base....when I start racing in moto America with sponsors I'll worry about saving the extra 2 lbs with exorbitant costs...for now this serves every bit of the need I have at a cost I can tolerate while still paying for my kids gymnastics, volleyball and other things

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfaddict View Post
whats fake about it? sorry I cant afford an autoclave to make dry carbon with pre preg parts...I forgot my F1 sponsors and backing in my other garage.... but it's real cf with a fiberglass base....when I start racing in moto America with sponsors I'll worry about saving the extra 2 lbs with exorbitant costs...for now this serves every bit of the need I have at a cost I can tolerate while still paying for my kids gymnastics, volleyball and other things

I totally understand your point of not wanted or having the monies to spend for a CF tank. But why have a cover over the OEM fuel tank??? It only adds weight and looks to the bike. If you are a racer, you don't care about that you care about ur seconds...

But its ur bike friend, you do what you please.

Not every legend is a myth, some are flesh and blood. Some legends walk among us, but they aren’t born, they’re built. Legends are made from iron & sweat, mind and muscle, blood and vision and victory. Legends are champions, they grow, they win, they conquer.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Cabin Fever!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benocehcap View Post
I totally understand your point of not wanted or having the monies to spend for a CF tank. But why have a cover over the OEM fuel tank??? It only adds weight and looks to the bike. If you are a racer, you don't care about that you care about ur seconds...

But its ur bike friend, you do what you please.
because of sliding up the tank under braking..even though I weight my hands a lot....and for stability in locking my outer leg in the tank when leaning deep...trust me...the shape is a welcomed addition! I can lose the little extra weight myself w the treadmill lol

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Cabin Fever!

Garage
lots of folks add a cover over the OEM tank...look at se composites or the many others out there

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 03:22 AM
Super Duper Moderator

Garage
Ignore Ben... he doesn't know how what it takes to ride fast on a track. As a matter of fact, I don't think he's ever been on a track.
cfaddict and Doug68 like this.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:58 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevap View Post
Ignore Ben... he doesn't know how what it takes to ride fast on a track. As a matter of fact, I don't think he's ever been on a track.
Indeed

Quote:
because of sliding up the tank under braking..even though I weight my hands a lot....and for stability in locking my outer leg in the tank when leaning deep...trust me...the shape is a welcomed addition! I can lose the little extra weight myself w the treadmill lol

Gotcha! :

Last edited by Benocehcap; 04-09-2019 at 02:02 PM.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Cabin Fever!

Garage
pretty much finished up...there's a few waves and dips in the final product but it's good enough for now. after a month or so of time in the sun and getting fully cured I'll add a few extra layers of silmar surfboard polyester resin and block sand it again to get it smooth all over.

def. changes the feel of the ride, sitting back farther and a bit less comfy just commuting but perfect when I get off the seat at all.

picked up some r1s wheels to get it back together and back in the road. man it was a long winter!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode