Josh's R1M track bike rebuild (post crash) - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
Yamaha R1 + R1M Garage Space Share your Yamaha R1M builds and stories in here.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Josh Chambers
  • 1 Post By StraightSuccess

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Josh's R1M track bike rebuild (post crash)

Hi Guys,

I had a slight get-off with my track bike and thought i would share the rebuild here with you guys and hopefully get some advice and information along the way.

Here is a before and after photo.

Parts list for rebuild:
Aftermarket clipons
Breese switches
Motion pro throttle assembly
Motoholder subframe and fairing stay
Akrapovic slip on and link pipe with stock headers.
racers edge fairings
woodcraft key elimination harness

The fork cap and tube were damaged. i'm thinking about putting in a NIX 30 or even an FKR cartridge kit and getting rid of the ERS system, will either source a TTX shock or rebuild the stock if possible.

If anyone has any insight or advice with these parts, greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	55611009_2149247735123754_2910198255549677568_o.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	181.4 KB
ID:	999225   Click image for larger version

Name:	60044708_10156729615209678_4047886417395712_n.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	374.2 KB
ID:	999227   Click image for larger version

Name:	61512739_2041888692772836_6482324428238618624_n.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	305.9 KB
ID:	999229   Click image for larger version

Name:	61051146_510427562827136_1593274245083824128_n.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	260.2 KB
ID:	999231  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 11:19 AM
I eat my R1

Nice get off! Glad you are ok. Looks like the bike did some flipping through the grass
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 03:34 PM
I miss my R1

I'd still be laying there sobbing uncontrollably... glad you made it out okay and that you're (hopefully) able to rebuild the bike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy boy View Post
Nice get off! Glad you are ok. Looks like the bike did some flipping through the grass
I luckily walked away without a scratch, the bike on the other hand.. Last time i use big crash knobs on the frame. Must have slide and dug in on the grass which made it flip.
Jimmy boy likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamzombie View Post
I'd still be laying there sobbing uncontrollably... glad you made it out okay and that you're (hopefully) able to rebuild the bike.
It was a sad sad sad day but you have to move forward. Bike looks worse then it is and rebuild is well under way.

The front forks were the bike drama. Need to decide whether to repair the ERS setup or go a cartridge kit.

Also, anyone have thoughts on the best throttle assembly? Motion pro, Domino, Active etc?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 05:48 PM
I eat my R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Chambers View Post
I luckily walked away without a scratch, the bike on the other hand.. Last time i use big crash knobs on the frame. Must have slide and dug in on the grass which made it flip.
I’ve looked at my frame protectors and wondered the same thing. Will it slide faster and become a wing and launch itself?
What kind of sliders were you using?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 03:06 PM
WERA #9

Garage
Motion Pro throttle is great. But I've also heard great things about the Domino throttle. Either one is a good choice.
Not sure about the diameter of the R1M Ohlins fork tubes, but if they're the same as the regular R1, I'd look at switching tubes and getting a cartridge kit.
For frame sliders, I use Woodcraft. They have a tapered shape which should prevent the bike flipping like that. I've crashed on em twice now with no real damage.
For clip-ons, get Evol Tech. You won't regret it.
And since you're rebuilding her anyway, look into the Evol Tech adjustable triple clamps and rear suspension linkage. They're a huge upgrade over stock.
For the button pods, I use Bike Sport Development ones.

All this stuff I'm mentioning you can get from Superbike Unlimited. Check my build thread for any other ideas.

Good luck with the rebuild!!

WERA #9

Sponsored By:
-Five Six Two Motorsports
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-GP Suspension

-Superbike Unlimited

-CT Racing/Pirelli

-Matrix Concepts

-GoPro Cameras

-Amsoil

-Spy Optic

-VortexEK Racing

-Shorai

-Rokform

-Engine Ice

-Ogio
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 07:45 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman1520 View Post
Motion Pro throttle is great. But I've also heard great things about the Domino throttle. Either one is a good choice.
Not sure about the diameter of the R1M Ohlins fork tubes, but if they're the same as the regular R1, I'd look at switching tubes and getting a cartridge kit.
For frame sliders, I use Woodcraft. They have a tapered shape which should prevent the bike flipping like that. I've crashed on em twice now with no real damage.
For clip-ons, get Evol Tech. You won't regret it.
And since you're rebuilding her anyway, look into the Evol Tech adjustable triple clamps and rear suspension linkage. They're a huge upgrade over stock.
For the button pods, I use Bike Sport Development ones.

All this stuff I'm mentioning you can get from Superbike Unlimited. Check my build thread for any other ideas.

Good luck with the rebuild!!
So i've sourced some FGR gas pressurized cartridges from a race team and bought a TTX shock. Getting rid of the EGR. Running the R1M outer tubes still.

Going domino throttle assembly, i havent heard a bad word about them.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 05:36 AM
MonkeyMan #413

Ooof - crashing sucks but glad you're OK!

+1 on the Woodcraft frame sliders. Have had to test them as well and they've held up w/o causing the bike to flip/roll - though all crashes are different.

I would however reconsider the Woodcraft keyswitch eliminator as I've heard they may still drain the charging system. Speedcell makes a nice harness and toggle switch for the same purpose which doesn't continue to draw from what I've been told.

I'd also consider checking out Yoshimura's Alpha T exhaust instead of the Akra. Exhaust is usually personal preference, but I think the Yosh looks/sounds better - and there's also been some talk of it producing modest gains (though I think each exhaust mfg makes similar claims).

Best of luck with the rebuild and getting back out ASAP!

2015 R1M - Flying Monkey Racing #413
Vortex, FTECU, SharkSkinz, Attack Performance, Woodcraft, Yoshimura,
GoPro, Pit Posse, Engine Ice, GB Racing, Lightech, Zero Gravity

Check out the
page on Facebook!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 07:31 AM
Just Me.

Glad you're okay. I'm in to see what it becomes.
Josh Chambers likes this.

"They say your word is everything, everything in whose eyes, guys confuse lies with the truth, the truth of true lies..."

- BAR
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkuhno View Post
Ooof - crashing sucks but glad you're OK!

+1 on the Woodcraft frame sliders. Have had to test them as well and they've held up w/o causing the bike to flip/roll - though all crashes are different.

I would however reconsider the Woodcraft keyswitch eliminator as I've heard they may still drain the charging system. Speedcell makes a nice harness and toggle switch for the same purpose which doesn't continue to draw from what I've been told.

I'd also consider checking out Yoshimura's Alpha T exhaust instead of the Akra. Exhaust is usually personal preference, but I think the Yosh looks/sounds better - and there's also been some talk of it producing modest gains (though I think each exhaust mfg makes similar claims).

Best of luck with the rebuild and getting back out ASAP!
Already got the woodcraft keyswitch so will have to test it for now. I usually leave my bike on trickle charge anyway. Lets see how it goes.

Already ordered the akra too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode