How would you like Yamaha to deal with the recall

How do you want Yamaha to deal with the recall

5K views 35 replies 21 participants last post by  Sam Roach 
#1 · (Edited)
Vote in the poll above

#25 ·
R1 gearbox recall

hi all
please dont feel like what im about to put in this post as a rant or a a slate on anyone
firstly can i ask how many have actually failed ?
secondly how many were actual road bikes???
lastly if it was a BMW or Ducati or Aprilia would you be getting the same level of assistance ??

Im 100% sure none of the above manufactures would have the same support, and furthermore look at how many engines have already failed on the BMW S1000RR and !!! the Aprillia RSV4 has had how many engine recalls?
Ducati recall list is beyond A4 sheets
so come on guys think realistically yes its a recall on a new bike , but its no were near the same level ad other Top Manufacturers for far more expensive items!!!

#27 ·
hi all

please dont feel like what im about to put in this post as a rant or a a slate on anyone

firstly can i ask how many have actually failed ?

secondly how many were actual road bikes???

lastly if it was a BMW or Ducati or Aprilia would you be getting the same level of assistance ??

Im 100% sure none of the above manufactures would have the same support, and furthermore look at how many engines have already failed on the BMW S1000RR and !!! the Aprillia RSV4 has had how many engine recalls?

Ducati recall list is beyond A4 sheets

so come on guys think realistically yes its a recall on a new bike , but its no were near the same level ad other Top Manufacturers for far more expensive items!!!

Actually Aprilia RSV4 only had one major engine recall and affected a small amount. Just gossip that spread that rumor about reliability issues.

three official recalls

1. First batch of 2010 bikes needed an engine swap.....all USA bikes out there have had this done, Aprilia USA was all over this. Complete engine replacement.

2. gas cap mod / EVAP one-way valve for USA bikes....supposed to help tank pressures and ethanol swelling.

3. demand sensor -- certain VINs and demand sensor build dates.....replace demand sensor. Seems to be just certain 2011-2012 bikes

anything else you may have heard about is a service bulletin not a recall. Here are the bulletins off the top of my head
1. 2009-2010 get valve covers updated and gaskets
2. mid 2010 they changed upper radiator bracket to get ready for APRC. Either version is fine, just need to know when ordering a new rad to also get new style bracket
3. updated mappings

#7 ·
My bet, none of these will happen.

Yamaha will replace the defective parts internal to the transmission, end of story. They will not replace the transmission entire, they will not give you a new engine/transmission, they will definitely not buy back the bike, nor give you "trade in assistance", whatever that is.

It's a recall guys, it's not the first recall, nor is it the biggest or worst recall. Hell, think how big of a mess the VW emissions scandal was, you don't see VW buying back cars. I think they sent out some prepaid fuel cards, if I'm not mistaken.

#11 ·
It's a recall guys, it's not the first recall, nor is it the biggest or worst recall. Hell, think how big of a mess the VW emissions scandal was, you don't see VW buying back cars. I think they sent out some prepaid fuel cards, if I'm not mistaken.
I work for VW corporate; we haven't bought any back.....yet. That's still on the table if we can't get the proper equipment to fit under the vehicle to pass the emission test.

Yamaha may replace engines strictly on a liability basis (a very long shot) but I agree the more likely situation is they will only replace what was identified as the defective parts.

Trade assistance is where they guarantee the trade in value for the DEALER not the customer with the hope the dealer passes that onto the customer. Happens everyday in the car world when stuff like this happens.

#9 ·
If and thats a big if, Volkswagen does buy back any cars, it will do so at a fair market value. Which is another way of saying, you can sell a Volkswagen dealer your car. Which you can already do.
Now with the BMW 1200RT, what they offered was this:
1. Wait for a repair, and receive $2,500 for the downtime until then
2. Receive a loaner BMW from their dealership, and receive $1,000 that is good towards BMW products or finance payments for the RT
3. Sell the motorcycle back to BMW, at the original purchase price, and receive $1,000 that is good towards another BMW motorcycle

I have a hard time seeing Yamaha doing any of this, other than offering to fix the bike at the dealership or telling you "We will buy back your bike at fair market value" like VW.

#13 ·
BTW, VW recall doesn't have the potential to throw you over the bars at 70 mph either. I won't get into the whole VW thing here but when the media says 40 times the legal limit the limit is so low like .0005 grams per 1 KM when you times that by forty its like .002 grams per 1 KM which is like the size of an ants head.

#21 ·
How would I like Yamaha to handle this?
Brand new bike, ten sets of fresh slicks, a full season's worth of track days, and a hand job.

Let's ask a question that's less pointless, though: "What is the minimal acceptable solution Yamaha could implement that would convince you to keep your bike?"
What we would like Yamaha to do is irrelevant. What is the minimum acceptable for them to do, as far as you're concerned, is where we seem to have a bit of a divide. Some seem to be fine with a rebuild, some are talking lemon law, lawsuits, and selling-off for anything less than a new engine.

I like my bike (mostly...), and I have a lot of time and effort into it at this point. I'd like to keep it. If Yamaha replaces the transmission with new, better parts and everything works fine afterward, I'm cool with it. I don't expect a 14,200 RPM engine that's shifted at the redline all day every time it's ridden to last forever, anyway. This won't be the last time this engine is rebuilt.

#34 ·
well guys just for your information my dealer has agreed to do a deal on a 2016 bike with the revised gearbox in exchange for my 4 month old 2015 bike and £1000 ... so im well happy with my dealers response ... if you dont ask you wont get ... so to the doubters of buy back deals it can be done if you have an understanding dealer and it looks like i have ....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.