New to the forum; 2013 R1 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
New Member Introductions New Members stop and in a say Hi...

4Likes
  • 1 Post By mthurman85
  • 1 Post By mthurman85
  • 1 Post By Banky
  • 1 Post By mthurman85

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Garage
New to the forum; 2013 R1

Hello folks! My name is Mike and I'm new to the site, but not new to riding. Been riding since 2007. I have a heavily 2013 modded R1. I live in Virginia. Looking to meet some cool peeps, and maybe get some info on where to go in my area for performance upgrades, and things of that nature. Looking forward to meeting you all. Peace!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017, 02:23 PM
Super Duper Moderator

Garage
Here's a good place to start...

R1-016 `Venom` Squadron - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums

TEAM: SO FAST SO CLEAN
TEAM: SO SCARED NO LEAN

Greenstreak quote from Barber... "Woah... I have a log in my ass!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Godspeed to my fallen brothers - elviswarrior, Gawarrior, Vman1300
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 06:07 AM
Just happy to be here...

Garage
Whazzzup man! I'm near Charlottesville Va.
Mine is "heavily Modified" too LOL.

Give us a run down of your beast, and some photos!!!

@trash_panda_338 follow me on instagram

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevap View Post
Thanks man, much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banky View Post
Whazzzup man! I'm near Charlottesville Va.
Mine is "heavily Modified" too LOL.

Give us a run down of your beast, and some photos!!!
As soon as I get off work, I will get some pics and throw them up here for you. Will list some of the mods as well.
Banky likes this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 04:37 PM
Horsepower whisperer

Garage
Welcome young man. I've been riding since the 70s...

In for dem pics.

**Current bikes**
2018 Yamaha YZ250FX (Dirty fun)
2016 BMW S1000RR Premium (Dream bike)
2015 MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR (Sex machine)
2003 Yamaha YZF-R1 (My 3rd R1)
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017, 06:10 PM
Venom CO

Send a message via AIM to R1Buttercup Send a message via Yahoo to R1Buttercup
Welcome

Saw you signed up for Venom Squadron-welcome to the 757!!

Careful for all the potholes and non driving people!!

Sig by GearHeaded

THE NURSE
The real

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torchsport View Post
Welcome young man. I've been riding since the 70s...

In for dem pics.
Since the 70's huh? I wasn't even thought of yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1Buttercup View Post
Welcome

Saw you signed up for Venom Squadron-welcome to the 757!!

Careful for all the potholes and non driving people!!
Thanks for the warm welcome. I will definitely keep my eyes open!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Garage
Going to post a few of the upgrades here because there are too many to list. Also, pics will be in later this afternoon. Had some things to do after work yesterday. Anyway, upgrades include:

* Vortex V2 Adjustable Rearsets
* RC Components Aluminum Sprocket
* ASV C/5 Series Brake & Clutch Levers
* Competition Werkes Integrated Tail Light
* Competition Werkes Fender Eliminator Kit
* Hot Bodies Flush Mount Turn Signals
* Zero Gravity SR Windscreen
* Myrtle West Adjustable Lowering Link
* Myrtle West Adjustable Kickstand
* Myrtle West Extended Swing Arm
* Aluminum Fairing Mount Kit
* Aluminum Engine Bolt Kit
* BK Moto Bi Xenon Projector
* GYTR Full Carbon Fiber Exhaust System

I am in the market for a new full racing exhaust, quick shifter, ECU flash and/or PCV. Please bestow your knowledge upon me in regards to those item. Thanks in advance for reading and providing insight.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 06:00 AM
Just happy to be here...

Garage
Since winter is coming *insert Game of Thrones emoji here*, I would remove that exhaust and sell it, and then find a nice racing exhaust. I have a bunch of mods going on and I run a PC quickshifter but no PCV, the QS runs off of my @SBK Unlimited ECU flash. I wont dick with a PCV until I get my bike tuned, hopefully in spring.

The Flash is important for **De-Restricting your bike**. Our bikes (09-14) have a crazy like 85% throttle limit in 1-4 gears if I'm not mistaken, and there is a huge power dip in the bottom end when transitioning to midrange. If you want crazy good numbers and a perfect A/F ratio, then pay for a tune.

It doesn't work with everyones bike but most like it extremely well.

Iv'e had ZERO problems with my PC QS using the SBU flash.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Garage
Quote:
Since winter is coming *insert Game of Thrones emoji here*, I would remove that exhaust and sell it, and then find a nice racing exhaust. I have a bunch of mods going on and I run a PC quickshifter but no PCV, the QS runs off of my @SBK Unlimited ECU flash. I wont dick with a PCV until I get my bike tuned, hopefully in spring.

The Flash is important for **De-Restricting your bike**. Our bikes (09-14) have a crazy like 85% throttle limit in 1-4 gears if I'm not mistaken, and there is a huge power dip in the bottom end when transitioning to midrange. If you want crazy good numbers and a perfect A/F ratio, then pay for a tune.

It doesn't work with everyones bike but most like it extremely well.

Iv'e had ZERO problems with my PC QS using the SBU flash.
I'm looking at Graves and Akrapovic. To be honest, I am having a difficult time choosing between the two, but the Graves is a little easier on my pocket. I am going to have the ECU flashed immediately. That's priority #1 as of now. I need to find a reputable shop in the Hampton Roads area that can educate me on all things motorcycle, as well as perform any/all performance upgrades for a reasonable price.
Banky likes this.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 07:44 AM
Just happy to be here...

Garage
I have a full Titanium racing Akrapovic exhaust...... I'ts not loud IMO. My stock header with a M4 cat delete and A&R racing baffles was louder I swear.

If you want that nasty amazing R1 beastly growl.... Get the Graves. I'm sure they are so close on power levels its not even funny. Go for looks and sound.

Nothing that you're going to do to your bike needs to be done at a shop. Road going upgrades are all super easy on our bike. Everything is basically plug and play. You don''t wanna flash your ECU until you know what your going to have done. Its kind of a Plan ahead thing.

Go on SBU's website and they have a questionare that you can look at to see what I am talking about. Don't get ahead of your flash service cause then they will give you the wrong flash, and if you change your mind after its setup and flashed, luckily SBU will re-flash your ECU 4 or 5 times for free if I'm not mistaken.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Garage
Quote:
I have a full Titanium racing Akrapovic exhaust...... I'ts not loud IMO. My stock header with a M4 cat delete and A&R racing baffles was louder I swear.

If you want that nasty amazing R1 beastly growl.... Get the Graves. I'm sure they are so close on power levels its not even funny. Go for looks and sound.

Nothing that you're going to do to your bike needs to be done at a shop. Road going upgrades are all super easy on our bike. Everything is basically plug and play. You don''t wanna flash your ECU until you know what your going to have done. Its kind of a Plan ahead thing.

Go on SBU's website and they have a questionare that you can look at to see what I am talking about. Don't get ahead of your flash service cause then they will give you the wrong flash, and if you change your mind after its setup and flashed, luckily SBU will re-flash your ECU 4 or 5 times for free if I'm not mistaken.
Thanks for all the top notch advice. I'm not mechanically savvy when it comes to the bike, so unfortunately I'll be shelling out cash for labor until I can do my own repairs/mods/etc. I'm actually on the Graves website just looking around. Will more than likely buy it from Revzilla since they offer the best deals I've seen so far. Will be checking out SBU's site here in a bit. Really digging this beast: https://www.gravesport.com/products/...2009-2014.html

What do you think?
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 08:05 AM
I eat my R1

Garage
Graves is a great system for the price.

If you are always pushing at the limit you get a better feeling with the bike and give better information to the mechanics, he says. If I crashed 27 times, I was very close to crashing maybe 50 times! That gives me a feeling with the bike you understand many things, what crashes you can save and so on.-MM93

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by APO2112 View Post
Graves is a great system for the price.
I'm leaning towards the Graves in the link of my last post. The sticker on it is really bland, it's not really catching my eye. Can you get different stickers for the can?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 08:24 AM
I eat my R1

Garage
No idea

If you are always pushing at the limit you get a better feeling with the bike and give better information to the mechanics, he says. If I crashed 27 times, I was very close to crashing maybe 50 times! That gives me a feeling with the bike you understand many things, what crashes you can save and so on.-MM93

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 10:26 AM
Just happy to be here...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthurman85 View Post
Thanks for all the top notch advice. I'm not mechanically savvy when it comes to the bike, so unfortunately I'll be shelling out cash for labor until I can do my own repairs/mods/etc. I'm actually on the Graves website just looking around. Will more than likely buy it from Revzilla since they offer the best deals I've seen so far. Will be checking out SBU's site here in a bit. Really digging this beast: https://www.gravesport.com/products/...2009-2014.html

What do you think?

What else do you want to do??? You don't need a mechanic, just a few beers and some simple tools. I thought the same thing but by now I have had my ENTIRE bike apart..... TWICE! Its easy peasy

Yeah you can get different color stickers @One2 might be able to enlighten us, I think he got blue ones.

Also, there are vendors on this forum that may give you discounts on most stuff:
www.hustlehardracing.com is my sponser, they are smaller but every now and again they have KILLER deals.
@SpidermanSS - he works for Graves if im not mistaken
@SBK Unlimited - Awesome vendor on here.
@ridersdiscount - TJ is awesome
@MotoMillion - another great vendor
@HardRacing - They have blowout sales sometimes with leftover items.

A few others im sure.

Just start contacting these people before you order from Graves' website. And you can put up a *WTB* (Want to buy) thread and say your looking for a full graves exhaust, and you can put in there that you might be willing to trade plus cash with your GYTR, someone is always looking to go back to stock, and at least your parts are GYTR so someone might want that to sell the bike with.
MotoMillion likes this.

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Garage
Quote:
What else do you want to do??? You don't need a mechanic, just a few beers and some simple tools. I thought the same thing but by now I have had my ENTIRE bike apart..... TWICE! Its easy peasy

Yeah you can get different color stickers @One2 might be able to enlighten us, I think he got blue ones.

Also, there are vendors on this forum that may give you discounts on most stuff:
www.hustlehardracing.com is my sponser, they are smaller but every now and again they have KILLER deals.
@SpidermanSS - he works for Graves if im not mistaken
@SBK Unlimited - Awesome vendor on here.
@ridersdiscount - TJ is awesome
@MotoMillion - another great vendor
@HardRacing - They have blowout sales sometimes with leftover items.

A few others im sure.

Just start contacting these people before you order from Graves' website. And you can put up a *WTB* (Want to buy) thread and say your looking for a full graves exhaust, and you can put in there that you might be willing to trade plus cash with your GYTR, someone is always looking to go back to stock, and at least your parts are GYTR so someone might want that to sell the bike with.
The only thing I'm really looking to do is swap the exhaust, get the ECU flashed and/or PCV, and a quick shifter. Been thinking maybe top and bottom velocity stacks as well. After that I think I'll be done for a while. Maybe upgrade my forks and rear shock absorber to Ohlins. Not sure yet. Thanks for all the information and the point of contacts you listed. Much appreciated mate.
Banky likes this.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 02:07 PM
Just happy to be here...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthurman85 View Post
The only thing I'm really looking to do is swap the exhaust, get the ECU flashed and/or PCV, and a quick shifter. Been thinking maybe top and bottom velocity stacks as well. After that I think I'll be done for a while. Maybe upgrade my forks and rear shock absorber to Ohlins. Not sure yet. Thanks for all the information and the point of contacts you listed. Much appreciated mate.
Everything you mentioned can be done with someone guiding you over the phone if your nervous. Take the leap of faith! lol Have a good weekend.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2017, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Garage
Just a few pics of the bike. Hope I'm worthy. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1423.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	325.5 KB
ID:	957553   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1424.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	309.7 KB
ID:	957561   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1425.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	325.9 KB
ID:	957569  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode