Texas: Long time rider; 1st R1 - Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums
New Member Introductions New Members stop and in a say Hi...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Garage
Texas: Long time rider; 1st R1

Hello All,

New to the forum. I've riding motorcycles for 30 years and on the street for 22 years. I recently bought my first R1--in the 2007 flavor in the dark red--with 12,398 miles on the clock. Apparently the PO freaked when the bike threw a Code 17 and check engine light so he sold it for cheep expecting possibly the worst. The bike has the Power Commander III-USB, Ignition Module and Ti-Force exhaust, which ultimately negates the need for the EXUP servo, so he removed the entire assembly thus the warnings appeared; he did not do his research to find that all it needed was the EXUP Emulator (a direct plug-n-play into the lonely harness) which I found on Amazon.

I have noticed unlike other bikes I own/owned that taking off in first gear requires extra clutch/throttle finesse, having to nurse the clutch and time it just right with the throttle; it seems rather excessive. Is this normal with this model bike? I haven't dug into the front sprocket to see if the ratio has been altered from OEM.

Thank you in advance for your input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 05:08 PM
Horsepower whisperer

Garage
Nice find. Well done. Enjoy!
Welcome.

**Current bikes**
2018 Yamaha YZ250FX (Dirty fun)
2016 BMW S1000RR Premium (Dream bike)
2015 MV Agusta Brutale 1090RR (Sex machine)
2003 Yamaha YZF-R1 (My 3rd R1)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 05:46 PM
I eat my R1

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've managed to get a good deal.

My understanding is the 07-08 model needs an ECU flash to sort out various issues like the rideability that you've noticed. I expect others will have more info for you.

Sent from my SM-G9208 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 01:47 AM
I eat my R1

What have you been riding before the R1? If you've come from twins or older in line 4s they felt like they had much more bottom end. If it's your first 'modern' ( I know, 10 years old) liter bike it's normal to have that observation. The trade off is the mayhem that's unleashed in the upper half of the rev range. If it has the stock 17 tooth front sprocket switch it out to a 16 tooth or/and ad a couple to the rear. It's likely normal.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Garage
Thank you, I've always assumed that if a Power Commander is installed that there is no need for a flash. Following up on your suggestion I found that there are things the flash alters that the PC cannot so I am going to pull the ECU and send it to Superbikes Unlimited for the flash. Thank you for the suggestion, I'm looking forward to getting it installed and seeing how much better the bike runs.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
My R1 eats me.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppler View Post
What have you been riding before the R1? If you've come from twins or older in line 4s they felt like they had much more bottom end. If it's your first 'modern' ( I know, 10 years old) liter bike it's normal to have that observation. The trade off is the mayhem that's unleashed in the upper half of the rev range. If it has the stock 17 tooth front sprocket switch it out to a 16 tooth or/and ad a couple to the rear. It's likely normal.

This R1 is the most modern sportbike I've owned; others have been a 1989 Katana 750, 1997 YZF600R and 2003 Aprilia SL1000 FalcoR (V-twin sportbike).
I'll see what sprockets are on mine and look in to changing the ratio, thank you for the suggestion.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 08:02 PM
SuperbikeUnlimited.com

Garage
welcome aboard the board! always something exciting and new like the love boat on here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Superbikeunlimited.com Ambassador
Superbikeunlimited.com PH#1-828-676-2222
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R1 Forum: YZF-R1 Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode